Help with resort choice, Poly v AK v BC v Boulder Creek v Riviera!!

Queenie122

Mouseketeer
Please help!

I have points expiring March 2021. We weren’t planning on going but reports have been pretty good out of Disney. The main reason we weren’t going to go is my toddler. He’s a handful, almost three, and we really didn’t think he’d wear a mask. He’s never been to Disney. I haven’t been since 2016.

However, Disney turns out to be a great motivator lol. He’s been doing really well practicing wearing his mask. So we’re planning a casual trip, about 9 days, and we can just return to the room if he can’t handle something. He’ll be just under three so we won’t have had to pay for a ticket for him yet. We’ll probably only go to the parks a couple of days, tickets are really expensive and it’s a gamble for us in case he won’t keep his mask on.

I haven’t kept up much on how much is available at each resort and as I’m trying to research I’m getting angsty about just not getting a ressie down. We’re blessedly not bringing my teens so we can handle a studio but might have enough points for a 1 bedroom depending on the resort. We usually stay at a resort to maximize our points - our home is OKW so we stay there a lot.

I thought something different, maybe Poly, I have never been. A nice lake view studio? But I need to make sure I have good food options (looking at you here OKW with no decent QS), and possibly something for the baby to do. AKL, but which one? I think a lot of the fun activities are not happening right now. He’s a little young to want to sit and watch animals tbh. We are open to most resorts but some of the resorts are already full for our dates.

I am thinking of activities like a Skyliner ride over to AoA to walk around (if they let us in?), visit the Boardwalk, visit Disney Springs, try new resort restaurants we haven’t tried before. I’ve never been in March, do they *actually* heat the pools?? Just riding the monorail would likely be fun for him.

So basically I’m looking for help in finding a resort, and maybe some activities or even restaurant suggestions (which I believe are mostly in DVC at this point). Please help this hot mess mom get herself together lol

Last edited:
I’ve never been in March, do they *actually* heat the pools?? Just riding the monorail would likely be fun for him.
This was one of our biggest questions too. We just came back from a Jan 8-16 trip, 2 nights Poly and 6 nights BCV. Most days were just under 70f high and we had one day of 73f. Clap, lol. Definitely chillier than we'd hoped. I was really surprised both resorts' pools were warm enough. No shivering or foot cramps on the 2 days we went swimming after lunch. We even saw a few families brave early mornings and late nights when it was 50f. Don't forget to visit the hot tubs :) Plenty of towels on hand nearby.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Poly. Have to say it was magical. That resort is a bit quiet since people are avoiding the construction and a much lower amount of day visitors since Ohana, Spirit of Aloha and Trader Sam's are closed. We preferred the peacefulness, and there's still Capt'n Cooks QS (breakfast & lunch were great!), PA Lanai for dolewhips, and Kona table service. We loved taking the resort boat to MK or GF, and the monorail over to Contemporary (The Wave and Contempo are favorites). Plus the Electric Water Pageant is back! Chill out on Poly beach or boat dock to watch. We were lucky enough to catch it from the resort boat coming back after MK closed.

I think it would be a really great fit with the little guy :) Plus you can shoot over to MK and catch a Beach Club bus to explore that area on a non-park day (highly recommend Beaches & Cream and Ale & Compass, both need ADRs asap). The Skyliner's right there and you could also take it one stop over to Riviera which has a strong food game and such a lovely resort to visit.

Have a great trip if you go!

Last edited:
This was one of our biggest questions too. We just came back from a Jan 8-16 trip, 2 nights Poly and 6 nights BCV. Most days were just under 70f high and we had one day of 73f. Clap, lol. Definitely chillier than we'd hoped. I was really surprised both resorts' pools were warm enough. No shivering or foot cramps on the 2 days we went swimming after lunch. We even saw a few families brave early mornings and late nights when it was 50f. Don't forget to visit the hot tubs :) Plenty of towels on hand nearby.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Poly. Have to say it was magical. That resort is a bit quiet since people are avoiding the construction and a much lower amount of day visitors since Ohana, Spirit of Aloha and Trader Sam's are closed. We preferred the peacefulness, and there's still Capt'n Cooks QS (breakfast & lunch were great!), PA Lanai for dolewhips, and Kona table service. We loved taking the resort boat to MK or GF, and the monorail over to Contemporary (The Wave and Contempo are favorites). Plus the Electric Water Pageant is back! Chill out on Poly beach or boat dock to watch. We were lucky enough to catch it from the resort boat coming back after MK closed.

I think it would be a really great fit with the little guy :) Plus you can shoot over to MK and catch a Beach Club bus to explore that area on a non-park day (highly recommend Beaches & Cream and Ale & Compass, both need ADRs asap). The Skyliner's right there and you could also take it one stop over to Riviera which has a strong food game and such a lovely resort to visit.

Have a great trip if you go!
Off topic but I was at beach club 13 to 16th and was one of the families braving the pool at night when in 50s haha. I actually thought it felt warmer when cold out then when warmer (except when getting out to go down slide, that was very cold lol)

I’d vote for Poly. We are going to be there a few nights end of March now.

What I like about it is that you can walk between it and Grand Floridian so QS for both is not too much trouble. Even though the monorail station is closed at Poly right now, you can get on it at TTC and honestly, it’s about the same distance.

The ferry is there to MK which can be a ride in itself for a toddler..as well as the monorail as you said. Ride it, stop at the 3 resorts and get desserts!

9 days is a long time so maybe split stay? If you have some extra point, you could double book a night so you don’t get homeless. We do this a lot when staying in studios and split stays. Especially with little ones.

It will be less crowded too with only DVC open so that might help with pool time!

So it was reported elsewhere that the splash pad will be closed at the Poly during the dates we will be there. That was sort of essential for our toddler. Now I’m really torn!!

I had booked the Poly based on everyone’s glowing reports here (and apologies for not getting back to say thank you!!).
Now wih all the construction AND not having that area for my son (which would have been a lot of our free time), I’m so conflicted again!

Poly is a good choice but maybe a split Stay. We stay at OKW when we have a full house because of the room it has to offer. When we have little ones with us the extra space gives them a little room to play when we are in the resort room.

So it was reported elsewhere that the splash pad will be closed at the Poly during the dates we will be there. That was sort of essential for our toddler. Now I’m really torn!!

I had booked the Poly based on everyone’s glowing reports here (and apologies for not getting back to say thank you!!).
Now wih all the construction AND not having that area for my son (which would have been a lot of our free time), I’m so conflicted again!
Poly is coming up with frequency for dates I’ve checked this year. We love it there. there’s just too much going on for us & not having the monorail stop is an absolute deal breaker, even tho we rent a car.

Kidani is not my favorite of the 2 AK buildings. It does have a nice splash area for kids that is nicely shaded. Difficult to find in FL.

FYI - most toddlers i’ve Observerd seem Quite enthralled by the animals. You cannot discount having a giraffe stop by to say hello while lounging on your balcony :).

I’ve never stayed In Jambo house. Are there certain rooms to ask for to get the giraffe on the balcony experience?😍
Poly is coming up with frequency for dates I’ve checked this year. We love it there. there’s just too much going on for us & not having the monorail stop is an absolute deal breaker, even tho we rent a car.

Kidani is not my favorite of the 2 AK buildings. It does have a nice splash area for kids that is nicely shaded. Difficult to find in FL.

FYI - most toddlers i’ve Observerd seem Quite enthralled by the animals. You cannot discount having a giraffe stop by to say hello while lounging on your balcony :).
I’ve never stayed In Jambo house. Are there certain rooms to ask for to get the giraffe on the balcony experience?😍

You can book savannah view.

I’m a big fan of touring guide’s room finder, wherein they provide specific room request info & will fax it in on your behalf if you are a member of their site.

Anyone can see balcony views that apply to your selected category of booking

I’ve seen other here say they’ve had no luck. :confused3 We generally do wind up in the area I’ve requested, whether it’s a DVC or CRO booking on site.

I do knock myself out to snag the value studio rooms, some of them have that wonderful view.

I’ve stayed in Kidani Savanna view three times and never had a giraffe or any animal come near my balcony. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Like I said, maybe Jambo is better. Good time to try it perhaps, even with half the dining not open.

These times are so difficult to figure what to do.

Oh, and yes, I’m a member of UT, but haven’t planned a vacation I believe since 2014, and it looks like they have some new tools. I don’t have a lot of time to play around with them but that’s a great feature. I’m also def going to need the food reservation finder :o

If he has a connection with animals I would say an AKV savanna view

Kidani pool is nice for kids but not so big that you will be run raged, plus if you get a room near the elevator that is by the pool it is extra convenient

At 9 days I would also consider split stay. with a 3yo I would pick Poly since the site theming should be memorable for him as well as the easy access to MK

So I hate to throw a huge wrench into the entire thing, but we have a few more points than I thought, and can add a few more days on, somehow.

Definitely a split stay, as mentioned. For the second half we could also choose from one bedroom at Beach Club, Boulder Creek or studio at Riviera, along with AKL.

This is insane and I feel completely over my head. We just have a lot going on at home, and can def use a vacation. Obviously I could have optimized these points better.

Poly has been a dream stay for us, and even with the construction and kids structure down it will still be amazing I think. Anything else is gravy after that I think.

I’ve stayed in Kidani Savanna view three times and never had a giraffe or any animal come near my balcony.
For some reason the animals seem further away from the balconies to me. I’m sure it’s just my imagination but, agree, animals seem a bit stand-offish :tilt:

So I hate to throw a huge wrench into the entire thing, but we have a few more points than I thought, and can add a few more days on, somehow.

Definitely a split stay, as mentioned. For the second half we could also choose from one bedroom at Beach Club, Boulder Creek or studio at Riviera, along with AKL.

This is insane and I feel completely over my head. We just have a lot going on at home, and can def use a vacation. Obviously I could have optimized these points better.

Poly has been a dream stay for us, and even with the construction and kids structure down it will still be amazing I think. Anything else is gravy after that I think.

If you’re locked into the Poly (yay!!) then I would personally pick Boulder Ridge. The 1BR is really nice, and it’d such a relaxing place — plus Fort Wilderness is right around the corner!

The only downside is that those are both MK-area resorts. Beach Club would be my second choice for its proximity to Epcot and DHS.

I’m not technically locked into anywhere but I think we should try the Poly even with all the downsides. I honestly can’t imagine waking up and just being able to take a small walk to grab a monorail and get to a park!

We stayed one night once at Beach Club to use the pool, so didn’t get much time to enjoy the resort.

Usually we’re more about maximizing every minute out of our points. This time we are using our banked points and know we’re not going back before our next deadline as well plus possibly not even into the next year, the 50th is going to be insane. All of a sudden have way more points than we usually have and I’m doing this all last minute.

I had a dr actually tell me he would literally write a prescription for a vacation, and he was serious. That tells you something lol.

If you’re locked into the Poly (yay!!) then I would personally pick Boulder Ridge. The 1BR is really nice, and it’d such a relaxing place — plus Fort Wilderness is right around the corner!

The only downside is that those are both MK-area resorts. Beach Club would be my second choice for its proximity to Epcot and DHS.
We do keep going back and forth between these two honestly. We won’t have a car, will it be cumbersome getting around from Boulder Ridge?

We do keep going back and forth between these two honestly. We won’t have a car, will it be cumbersome getting around from Boulder Ridge?
The boat to Magic Kingdom is lovely, but of course the Poly is already so convenient. It’s bus to all of the other parks.

For me, if I expected to mostly stay at my resort and relax, I would pick BRV, but if I want to spend more time in the parks Beach Club is super convenient - and a great resort to boot.

Just got back from Poly 8 night stay. They had some games at the pools, and both pools have a very shallow end. The quiet pool has little fountains with water gushing up in a shallow area I think a toddler would love. We like first floor, so we had duck visitors every day. There are movies on the lawn most nights. It's so nice and quiet now! You can't go wrong. Seeing the castle and space mountain from the beach is always special.
I have done split stays, but I really love just settling in somewhere. It always seems like in a split stay, one stay is better, and I hate when the first stay is the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter