Help with my maxpass order for both parks please and TY!

JHollinsworth

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We fly out for 10 days in California today and we are spending two days at Disneyland- one at each park- we aren't park hopping and I'm ok with that- never have a WDW. We have two girls, ages 11 and 13, so it will be a much different trip than the last time to WDW 5 years ago where I was fully engulfed in princesses, BBB and character meals. Looking forward to it! We ARE doing maxpass both days.

Having said that, I have looked at a lot of the "what rides to ride in what order and what fastpasses to get" as we will be arriving at both parts at rope drop and will have EMH because we are staying on site. My kids have viewed all of the youtube videos of the rides online and the only FP rides they don't want to go on are Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Guardians. So...how do I adjust my FP schedules without those rides? And, how do I incorporate some of Fantasyland rides in while putting priority on the roller coasters and other popular FP rides? Like, do I do Peter Pan first while pulling my FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? Also, I'm not real clear on what is and isn't open at rope drop and EMH. Can I get some feedback on the following lists that I have? Can I get FP's for rides that aren't yet open for the day? I already have reservations for both World of Color and Fantasmic Dining Packages so I don't have to pull those though I know they don't take up a "ride" fastpass anyway. I'm so overwhelmed from planning a three city 10 day vacation and don't want to waste a minute at Disneyland trying to do something I can't even do!

California Adventure Park- Arrival 7am (I know I need to be early but that's the open for EMH)
Pay no attention to the numbers- that's the order I have planned. Does it make sense?

1. Ride Radiator Springs Racers

2. Grab Radiator Springs Racers FASTPASS

3. Ride Toy Story Midway Mania

4. Ride Soarin’ Around the World

5. Ride RSR with FASTPASS (if the return time has arrived)

6. Ride Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree

7. Ride Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters

8. Grab Goofy’s Sky School FP (and proceed on with all of Paradise Pier)

1. Ride California Screamin’
  2. Ride Mickey’s Fun Wheel
  3. Ride Symphony Swings
  4. Ride Goofy’s Sky School
  5. Ride Jumpin Jellyfish
  6. Ride Golden Zephyr
  7. Ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  8. Grab Grizzly River Run FP
Disneyland- EMH 7am

1. Grab Big Thunder Mountain FASTPASS
2. Ride Peter Pan
3. Ride Matterhorn
4. Ride Pirates of the Caribbean

5. Ride Splash Mountain
6. Grab Indiana Jones FASTPASS
7. Ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with FASTPASS

I couldn't find anything about adding in any of the other FP rides like:

Autopia- driving cars
*Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
* Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
* Star Tours

Do I just grab each one in no particular order after my other ones are used?

Thank you for any help!!

For your magic morning in DL, Fantasyland is the only land open.. and you cant pull FP until the rest of the park opens.. if you arent interested in SM.. but want to do other TL rides.. get a FP for Star tours.. ride Astro blasters, Autopia. or Vice versa once you can get another FP. send a runner to get RR FP. , there is goofys coster in Toontown.. its for smaller kids, but still is fun..or you can do character meets while waiting for your RR FP time. or you are close enough to Small world to do that, while waiting for RR.
Im sure others can give you a different route..

California Screaming is down for the Pixar Pier refurb..as is the bottom half of the pier.. including MIckeys fun wheel.. #3 through 8 on your list are still open..

If you are going in the next few weeks/months California Screamin’ and Mickey’s Fun Wheel will be closed (until June) as they make way for Pixar Pier and re branding of these rides. Toy Story remains open during the transformation.

MaxPass makes everything really simple as you "pull" a FP on your phone and don't need to go to the ride (runner) and waste time. We check in for a FP and get the next one while in line. We are always aware of when our next FP will be available and book immediately when open. We can do everything in DCA including Guardians of the Galaxy 2-3 times in one day using MP (especially with CS down). None of the Fantasyland dark rides nor Nemo have FP so plan your DL day accordingly. Peter Pan and Alice can have a tremendous wait shortly after park opening. Buzz, Roger Rabbit and Star Tours, Splash, HM, Space all have FP so you should be able to use MP. They added Matterhorn to the FP system too. It's A Small World may or may not use it depending on crowds. We ride everything with FP that offers one if the wait is >10 min and get the next FP using MP while walking to the loading area.

If you are going after April 13th you can see the new Pixar celebration at DL and Paint the Night at DCA.

Have a great time!
Mike

Also, I'm not real clear on what is and isn't open at rope drop and EMH. Can I get some feedback on the following lists that I have? Can I get FP's for rides that aren't yet open for the day?
At DCA essentially everything is open, at least all the headliners. At Disneyland only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open. My understanding from others (I haven't tried myself) is that you can get FP for any ride once you've entered one of the parks, even if that park/ride isn't open yet. Obviously your return time will be after it opens.

1. Ride Radiator Springs Racers

2. Grab Radiator Springs Racers FASTPASS

3. Ride Toy Story Midway Mania

4. Ride Soarin’ Around the World

5. Ride RSR with FASTPASS (if the return time has arrived)

6. Ride Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree

7. Ride Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters

8. Grab Goofy’s Sky School FP (and proceed on with all of Paradise Pier)

1. Ride California Screamin’
  2. Ride Mickey’s Fun Wheel
  3. Ride Symphony Swings
  4. Ride Goofy’s Sky School
  5. Ride Jumpin Jellyfish
  6. Ride Golden Zephyr
  7. Ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  8. Grab Grizzly River Run FP
As others have said California Screamin and the Fun Wheel are currently down. The rest of your list looks ok, though I suggest you look at a map because RSR, Toy Story, and Soarin' are all pretty far from each other - I might consider riding Soarin later in the day so you don't spend your morning hour walking to and from. I also might point out that with your kids' ages they might be a bit disappointed in Jumpin Jellyfish, but it won't take much time so you can go ahead and ride it anyway.

1. Grab Big Thunder Mountain FASTPASS
2. Ride Peter Pan
3. Ride Matterhorn
4. Ride Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Ride Splash Mountain
6. Grab Indiana Jones FASTPASS
7. Ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with FASTPASS
I couldn't find anything about adding in any of the other FP rides like:

Autopia- driving cars
*Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
* Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
* Star Tours

Do I just grab each one in no particular order after my other ones are used?
Pirates of the Caribbean isn't open during EMH, so if you finish your first two rides before the hour is up, ride some more Fantasyland rides if you want to (since they don't have FP), or maybe Star Tours if the Fantasyland rides don't interest you. Thunder Mountain FP are easy to get - I would prioritize both Indiana Jones and Star Tours first. But really, if those are the only three FP you want and you don't want to do re-rides, you should be fine getting them in any order. Get a FP for Buzz if you find yourself eligible for FP and nothing else to use it on - otherwise standby is fine for that ride. I'm not sure how busy Roger Rabbit's get's because I haven't been on that one in a long time, but you can probably throw it on after you other FP rides.

Here you go... For Disneyland
630-645 arrive at the entrance to Disneyland
7am-8am head to Fantasyland and Peter Pan first. If you are not in of the first 50 guests at that attraction, skip it ride Alice in Wonderland next, then Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White.
8am-9am When park opens ride Casey Jr. While in line us MP to get FP for Matterhorn, ride Finding Nemo, Head to Toontown for 9am opening.
9am-945am Visit Minnie then Mickey, while in line grab FP for Indiana Jones, ride Gadget Go Coaster, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, use FP for Matterhorn.
945am-1130am ride Jungle Cruise, grab FP for Big Thunder Mountain, ride Pirates of the Caribbean, use FP for Indiana Jones, ride Winnie the Pooh (Splash Mountain will be closed),grab FP for Star Tours, use FP for Big Thunder Mountain.
1130am Lunch
After lunch the next FP should be for Buzz.

Here you go... For Disney California Adventure
630-645 arrive at the entrance to DCA
7am-8am Head to Radiator Springs Racers and ride it, use MP and grab FP for Racers, then ride Luigi's, then Mater's.
8am-830am Bugs Land and ride Tuck n Roll first, then Lady Bug Boogie, Fliks Flyers, and Heimlich Train
830am-9am ride Goofy Sky School, grab FP for Soarin Aroudn the World, Jumping Jellyfish, Zephyr, Symphoy Swings
9am-11am ride Monsters Inc. use FP for Racers, grab FP for Toy Story Midway Mania, use FP for Soarin.
11am Early Lunch
12pm-1pm Grab FP for Grizzly, use FP for Toy Story, ride Mermaid, use FP for Grizzly.

ME

You have a good plan. A couple changes I would make:
1. Lately, Toy Story doesn't open until 2 hours after park opening. I think it's to give them extra time to work on construction over there. You'll have to ride that later.
2. As sometime else mentioned, make Indiana a higher priority than Big Thunder. I love BTMRR, but it is easy to get a FP for it later in the day.

You have a good plan. A couple changes I would make:
1. Lately, Toy Story doesn't open until 2 hours after park opening. I think it's to give them extra time to work on construction over there. You'll have to ride that later.

That is true but you can get FP for TSMM even if it's not open at the time.
You want to get it early due to the small amount of FPs that are given out for TSMM due to construction.

During EMH, both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open. However, in Fantasyland, Casey Jr and Storybook Land Canal Boats are not open until regular park opening.

On Friday morning of last week, we were in DCA for EMH. I was able to get FP for RSR at 7:10 am even though regular park opening wasn't until 8:00 am.

That is true but you can get FP for TSMM even if it's not open at the time.
You want to get it early due to the small amount of FPs that are given out for TSMM due to construction.
Once the rope is dropped, people pretty much run to get in line for the Toy Story passes. You can get them in the same place where you get the World of Color fastpases.

Just wanted to comment on them not wanting to do Space or Guardians - is this just because of watching a youtube video? Those are two of our very favorite rides and two of the most popular rides at DLR, so it would be unfortunate for them to miss out if it's just due to something they saw online.

Just wanted to comment on them not wanting to do Space or Guardians - is this just because of watching a youtube video? Those are two of our very favorite rides and two of the most popular rides at DLR, so it would be unfortunate for them to miss out if it's just due to something they saw online.

They all hated Tower of Terror. I told them that Guardians is supposed to be cool but they won’t do it! I just told my husband what you said and he agreed to do Space but not Guardians. Who am i to judge? I won’t even go on pirates because of the “Hill” ‍♀️

They all hated Tower of Terror. I told them that Guardians is supposed to be cool but they won’t do it! I just told my husband what you said and he agreed to do Space but not Guardians. Who am i to judge? I won’t even go on pirates because of the “Hill” ‍♀️

I was just curious because my daughter hated Tower of Terror and my son flat out refused to go on it and this last trip Guardians was their absolute favorite ride. However, my kids also love the GOTG movies which made a huge difference in their interest level for the ride. Have fun!!

Once the rope is dropped, people pretty much run to get in line for the Toy Story passes. You can get them in the same place where you get the World of Color fastpases.

I haven't been for a while, where are the fastpasses located for TSMM and WOC? Last time I was there a CM was handing out WOC fastpasses just as we passed through the gates....super convenient!

Once the rope is dropped, people pretty much run to get in line for the Toy Story passes. You can get them in the same place where you get the World of Color fastpases
Here you go... For Disneyland
630-645 arrive at the entrance to Disneyland
7am-8am head to Fantasyland and Peter Pan first. If you are not in of the first 50 guests at that attraction, skip it ride Alice in Wonderland next, then Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White.
8am-9am When park opens ride Casey Jr. While in line us MP to get FP for Matterhorn, ride Finding Nemo, Head to Toontown for 9am opening.
9am-945am Visit Minnie then Mickey, while in line grab FP for Indiana Jones, ride Gadget Go Coaster, then Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, use FP for Matterhorn.
945am-1130am ride Jungle Cruise, grab FP for Big Thunder Mountain, ride Pirates of the Caribbean, use FP for Indiana Jones, ride Winnie the Pooh (Splash Mountain will be closed),grab FP for Star Tours, use FP for Big Thunder Mountain.
1130am Lunch
After lunch the next FP should be for Buzz.

Here you go... For Disney California Adventure
630-645 arrive at the entrance to DCA
7am-8am Head to Radiator Springs Racers and ride it, use MP and grab FP for Racers, then ride Luigi's, then Mater's.
8am-830am Bugs Land and ride Tuck n Roll first, then Lady Bug Boogie, Fliks Flyers, and Heimlich Train
830am-9am ride Goofy Sky School, grab FP for Soarin Aroudn the World, Jumping Jellyfish, Zephyr, Symphoy Swings
9am-11am ride Monsters Inc. use FP for Racers, grab FP for Toy Story Midway Mania, use FP for Soarin.
11am Early Lunch
12pm-1pm Grab FP for Grizzly, use FP for Toy Story, ride Mermaid, use FP for Grizzly.

ME

Ok so now they’ve agreed to do space mountain and Guardians!! Can you tell me how to add these into your plan? Thank you!!

Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open for EMH at DL. Just about everything is open for EMH at DCA. If you want to know if a ride is not open, go on the DL site, go to that specific ride, and check the calendar for that ride for that specific day. It will tell you what the hours are for that ride and if it is open for EMH, it will say so.

As for your schedule, you should be able to get a MP before you can go on any ride, if possible (that way you can have an earlier return time and possibly end up getting more MPs because you can get a new one sooner). They usually let you in right at EMH start time I believe, so make sure to not to drop your phone!

Rides to prioritize for MP (not including the rides you said you won’t be doing. Not Space Mountain? Try to convince them to do it because it is my personal favorite):
Disneyland: Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain (unless for cold parts of the day), Star Tours, Matterhorn, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Roger Rabbit, Buzz Lightyear.

DCA: Radiator Springs Racers, Incredicoaster (when are you going? This ride opens June 23), Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, Grizzly River Run (not cold parts of the day), Goofy’s Sky School.

Don’t stress and remember to have fun. Just make sure you do end up getting to the park plenty before it opens. I know from experience that things can happen to get you to the park later than you originally planned and so if you plan to get there way ahead of time, you’ll get there at a good time.

Looks like most here have already gone over FP planning.
You mentioned not bothering with hoppers as you never did at WDW. Keep in mind that hopping at DLR is completely different than WDW. At the latter you must exit the park and drive, bus, boat or monorail to another park. Rather time consuming. At DLR it is a 2 minute walk from one park to the other. Disneyland is often open later than California Adventure. For instance, with hoppers you can spend the day at CA and catch the night parade and fireworks at DL before heading to your hotel for the night. Easier to get more out of your stay. Much more difficult to hop at WDW.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. We spent day at DCA today. Though it was busy, we were able to ride everything we wanted multiple times. I was able to pull my first maxpass before the gates even opened since we were right in front of line and CM scanned our tickets before they let us in. Bingo!! I pulled Guardians before 7am and was able to pull next one at 7:10!!

We do not hop as I have enough to keep track of for one park and I don’t like to spend the extra money on hoppers when I think we can get everything we want done in one day. We definitely could have had time to hop today but instead rode our favorite rides more times with maxpass.

We will hit Disneyland gate by 6:45am tomorrow and have a full day. I have convinced the fam to do Space Mountain so we will add that to our MP list. (They did to Guardians today and said they were glad they did but not going on again do promptly cancelled the MP I already had ).

Time for sleep. I really appreciate all of your feedback!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter