Help with my 2022 Trip to California Please!

I'm always going to recommend the Alcatraz night tour if you can get it. It was a lot of fun and smaller group. At night it takes on a whole other feel.

I would recommend skipping the General Sherman Tree unless you absolutely have to. That's a very long side trip. If you really want to see giant sequoia trees, there are several places where you can do that in Yosemite - especially Mariposa Grove.

I would recommend skipping the General Sherman Tree unless you absolutely have to. That's a very long side trip. If you really want to see giant sequoia trees, there are several places where you can do that in Yosemite - especially Mariposa Grove.

Yeah, I think we're going to skip it. This is the bad thing about postponing our trip by 2 years. I keep researching and learning about new things to do!

Yeah, I think we're going to skip it. This is the bad thing about postponing our trip by 2 years. I keep researching and learning about new things to do!

Yeah. I'm not necessarily that big on visiting named trees. My personal favorite isn't Giant Forest, but Redwood Mountain Grove, which has zero signs with the names of trees. But Mariposa Grove is actually quite nice.

Hi all! We had a trip to California booked for 2020 that we obviously had to postpone. We're planning June 2022. I've added some days, and changed things around, and of course I'm now wondering if I should change it up. It will be me, DH and DS13. Here's what I roughly have planned:

Day 1 Arrive in San Diego early (hopefully) go to Coronado Beach maybe? Balboa Park probably
Day 2 Midway Museum, La Jolla or Balboa Park
Day 3 Maybe the zoo? Drive to DL
Day 4 DL
Day 5 DCA
Day 6 start driving up the coast. Stop in Santa Barbara, Solvang, and wherever else we see. Spend the night at the Madonna Inn
Day 7 Finish the drive to Monterey
Day 8 Aquarium, Cannery Row
Day 9 Drive to San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf area (we only want to do a few touristy things here. DH doesn't love SF)
Day 10 Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, anything else
Day 11 Drive to Yosemite
Day 12 Spend day in Yosemite
Day 13 Drive to LA (maybe by way of seeing the General Sherman Tree just because we're there)
Day 14 Universal Studios and Griffith Observatory (I don't think we're going to want to stay all day at US)
Day 15 Fly home (Flights are generally a little cheaper to/from socal from Pittsburgh)

So my big question is should I add another full day to DL/DCA? It's our first trip there (ok, second for me, but I was 5, so...). We could drive up to Anaheim the evening of day 2 instead of spending another night SD. Or, we could fly in a day early to have the extra time in SD.

I'm also thinking that we could drive to California. That will give us a little more flexibility of when to arrive/when to leave. We could do US/LA things before we get to SD and stop at Joshua Tree on the way, too. I'd like to go to Death Valley, but not in June. We're coming from Pittsburgh so it will be a 4-5 day drive both ways. Is that a crazy idea? Has anyone here ever done that drive? I'm all about it, but I know that I would probably keep adding things to see/do on the way and it will end up being a full 5 week trip. DH and DS both might mutiny if I suggest that. :rotfl2:
If you've never been to Disneyland before then I would go for at least 3 days. I used to live in Monterey for 16 years. There's more to do and see than the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Carmel By The Sea is nearby and well worth it. A very quaint town. Beautiful beach, lots of restaurants that is some of the best food I ever had. Big Sur is not too far, drive across Brixby Bridge. Carmel Highlands is gorgeous and has a lot of state parks. If you go to Cannery Row try to eat at Awakenings. It's across the street from the aquarium. They're only open for breakfast and late, open till 2pm. Very popular place, great food and many locals go there.

If you've never been to Disneyland before then I would go for at least 3 days. I used to live in Monterey for 16 years. There's more to do and see than the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Carmel By The Sea is nearby and well worth it. A very quaint town. Beautiful beach, lots of restaurants that is some of the best food I ever had. Big Sur is not too far, drive across Brixby Bridge. Carmel Highlands is gorgeous and has a lot of state parks. If you go to Cannery Row try to eat at Awakenings. It's across the street from the aquarium. They're only open for breakfast and late, open till 2pm. Very popular place, great food and many locals go there.
First Awakenings moved several months ago, they are no longer across from the Aquarium. They are now located further up the hill at the corner of David & Lighthouse https://www.lighthousedistrict.net/news/2021/04/first-awakenings-opens-new-monterey. It used to be a favorite of mine, especially eating on the patio on nice mornings, but I haven’t tried them at their new location yet. As you say, there are lots of great restaurants in Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove.

First Awakenings moved several months ago, they are no longer across from the Aquarium. They are now located further up the hill at the corner of David & Lighthouse https://www.lighthousedistrict.net/news/2021/04/first-awakenings-opens-new-monterey. It used to be a favorite of mine, especially eating on the patio on nice mornings, but I haven’t tried them at their new location yet. As you say, there are lots of great restaurants in Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove.
I moved 5 years ago. When I first moved to California, I lived on David Ave. Hope they're new place is as good as the old one.

Hi all! We had a trip to California booked for 2020 that we obviously had to postpone. We're planning June 2022. I've added some days, and changed things around, and of course I'm now wondering if I should change it up. It will be me, DH and DS13. Here's what I roughly have planned:

Day 1 Arrive in San Diego early (hopefully) go to Coronado Beach maybe? Balboa Park probably
Day 2 Midway Museum, La Jolla or Balboa Park
Day 3 Maybe the zoo? Drive to DL
Day 4 DL
Day 5 DCA
Day 6 start driving up the coast. Stop in Santa Barbara, Solvang, and wherever else we see. Spend the night at the Madonna Inn
Day 7 Finish the drive to Monterey
Day 8 Aquarium, Cannery Row
Day 9 Drive to San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf area (we only want to do a few touristy things here. DH doesn't love SF)
Day 10 Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, anything else
Day 11 Drive to Yosemite
Day 12 Spend day in Yosemite
Day 13 Drive to LA (maybe by way of seeing the General Sherman Tree just because we're there)
Day 14 Universal Studios and Griffith Observatory (I don't think we're going to want to stay all day at US)
Day 15 Fly home (Flights are generally a little cheaper to/from socal from Pittsburgh)

So my big question is should I add another full day to DL/DCA? It's our first trip there (ok, second for me, but I was 5, so...). We could drive up to Anaheim the evening of day 2 instead of spending another night SD. Or, we could fly in a day early to have the extra time in SD.

I'm also thinking that we could drive to California. That will give us a little more flexibility of when to arrive/when to leave. We could do US/LA things before we get to SD and stop at Joshua Tree on the way, too. I'd like to go to Death Valley, but not in June. We're coming from Pittsburgh so it will be a 4-5 day drive both ways. Is that a crazy idea? Has anyone here ever done that drive? I'm all about it, but I know that I would probably keep adding things to see/do on the way and it will end up being a full 5 week trip. DH and DS both might mutiny if I suggest that. :rotfl2:
You can always add The Winchester Mystery House in San Jose while in the Bay Area, fly home from San Fran , Oakland.. there is also a SixFlags amusement park up here in Vallejo

Ridiculous question, but how scary is driving the Pacific Coast Highway north to south? I have heard people say that there are no guiderails, etc, and I don't like driving like that along cliffs. Is that a real thing? Or am I being misinformed?
[/QUOTE]
I have driven Highway One many times between Monterey and Santa Barbara. It is winding roads with a slower speed limit. The VIEWS are the BEST. But yes there are times you are on a cliff. The road isn't like right up to the edge of the cliff with nothing on the other side of the white line. See the attached screenshot of Google Maps of Highway One. Explore using google maps. This is the typical roadway. Take your time. Stop to take pictures and admire the views. People get into trouble on the road because they try to drive and take pictures and look at phones. BTW cell service sucks.

Make reservations at the Madonna Inn soon, rooms book up there. It has a really good steak house.

Attachments

• HIghway ONe.png
    HIghway ONe.png
    449.7 KB · Views: 18
Definitely do the San Diego Zoo. Avoid Fisherman's Wharf, it's just tacky, touristy crapola.

Avoid Universal Hollywood, it stinks! (Unless you're big HP fans.)

Do some wine tasting (if that's your thing) while in the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area.

Those are my immediate reactions!

Have fun! This is an ambitious trip with lots of good stuff on it!

Ridiculous question, but how scary is driving the Pacific Coast Highway north to south? I have heard people say that there are no guiderails, etc, and I don't like driving like that along cliffs. Is that a real thing? Or am I being misinformed?
I have driven Highway One many times between Monterey and Santa Barbara. It is winding roads with a slower speed limit. The VIEWS are the BEST. But yes there are times you are on a cliff. The road isn't like right up to the edge of the cliff with nothing on the other side of the white line. See the attached screenshot of Google Maps of Highway One. Explore using google maps. This is the typical roadway. Take your time. Stop to take pictures and admire the views. People get into trouble on the road because they try to drive and take pictures and look at phones. BTW cell service sucks.

Make reservations at the Madonna Inn soon, rooms book up there. It has a really good steak house.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! That picture is exactly what I needed to calm my nerves.

I already did! I wasn't going to let my procrastination get in the way of getting the room that we wanted!!! And thanks for the tip about the steak house. I haven't heard too much about it, but I haven't been worried too much about food yet.

Definitely do the San Diego Zoo. Avoid Fisherman's Wharf, it's just tacky, touristy crapola.

Avoid Universal Hollywood, it stinks! (Unless you're big HP fans.)

Do some wine tasting (if that's your thing) while in the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area.

Those are my immediate reactions!

Have fun! This is an ambitious trip with lots of good stuff on it!

Haha! Were you talking to my husband? Your first 2 sentences are exactly what he keeps saying!

Ok I made some changes:

Day 1: San Diego
Day 2: San Diego
Day 3: San Diego morning/afternoon. Drive to Anaheim
Day 4: DL/DCA
Day 5: DL/DCA
Day 6: DL/DCA
Day 7: Start drive up PCH, stopping in Santa Barbara, Solvang. End at Madonna Inn
Day 8: Explore some more, stopping in Cambria for night
Day 9: Drive PCH to Pacific Grove Airbnb
Day 10: Pacific Grove
Day 11: Pacific Grove
Day 12: Drive to Yosemite
Day 13: Yosemite
Day 14: leave Yosemite, drive to LA
Day 15: LA maybe US
Day 16: Fly home

Another option that I've been toying with is to drive an abbreviated version of Route 66 to get to LA. Day one would be Santa Monica, then day 7-15. Do DL/DCA and end in San Diego.

Ok I made some changes:

Day 1: San Diego
Day 2: San Diego
Day 3: San Diego morning/afternoon. Drive to Anaheim
Day 4: DL/DCA
Day 5: DL/DCA
Day 6: DL/DCA
Day 7: Start drive up PCH, stopping in Santa Barbara, Solvang. End at Madonna Inn
Day 8: Explore some more, stopping in Cambria for night
Day 9: Drive PCH to Pacific Grove Airbnb
Day 10: Pacific Grove
Day 11: Pacific Grove
Day 12: Drive to Yosemite
Day 13: Yosemite
Day 14: leave Yosemite, drive to LA
Day 15: LA maybe US
Day 16: Fly home

Another option that I've been toying with is to drive an abbreviated version of Route 66 to get to LA. Day one would be Santa Monica, then day 7-15. Do DL/DCA and end in San Diego.

that looks a much better plan. Its still a huge amount of driving, and will be exhausting. It would still be far too much for me, but maybe some of the California people might be able to give a better perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter