Help with last minute Thanksgiving trip

DisMommyTX

DIS Veteran
Bad news: looks like we have to cancel our planned Spring Break trip to Disneyland.
Good news: the only other time I can figure out to schedule the trip is Thanksgiving.
Reality check: That's less than two weeks away! :scared:

So, we can fly in late Friday night before the week of Thanksgiving and fly back the Friday after. Planning 5 days at Disney and 1 at Universal.

1) We'd like to spend one day at Universal (never been before) with Express pass. Which day would you recommend? Anything special to see on certain days or better days to avoid crowds?

2) We are night owls, preferring to arrive about noon and leave at midnight, so the extended hours are good! We love all fireworks and parades, but it looks like only Fantasmic!, the Christmas Parade, and Christmas fireworks are showing. Nothing at CA, correct? Any other big shows I should plan to see?

3) Obviously, choices for dining reservations are pretty slim. We usually book dining packages and dessert parties to ensure reserved seating/space for our son with special needs. For Fantasmic!, I can only get the On-the-Go package which, while not my first choice, will be doable. Are there any other dining/dessert packages worth checking in to? Any other tips for spacious viewing of fireworks or parades on peak crowd days?

4) Most of the hotels within easy walking distance are booked or double the March cost. If we stay a bit further away, should we anticipate any problems getting a Lyft or Uber to and from the parks daily? I know it is usually fine, but would traffic and crowds make this significantly more difficult than usual? We also plan to use Lyft to and from LAX, which is a bit more frustrating since our March flights were from SNA.

Last time we were at DL was during a 24 hour event, and we regularly visit WDW on July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc., so I understand how insane crowds can get and would welcome any strategies for managing them at DL (other than the 'arrive early'... DS needs time to adjust each morning and waking him early is NOT conducive to anything resembling a vacation :scared1:).

:thanks:Thanks in advance for all of your input! We are WDW pro's, but DL was many years ago, and I can't believe I'm even considering planning a whole trip in less than 10 days!!

Hey, any trip to DLR is better than no trip at all, right? Good for you for jumping right in with last minute planning!

Have you read this classic thread, A DLR Guide for WDW Vets? Great planning information, most of the information is up to date. Come on back with any questions.

1) Others with more experience will chime in on this, but I'm going to suggest doing USH on the Monday, only because Mondays can be very busy days at DLR (What’s the scoop on Mondays?).
2) Correct, currently there are no nighttime shows on the DCA schedule.
3) Keep checking the website and the app for TS cancellations. When you see something you want, grab it! The F! On the Go package is actually pretty good -- the most flexibility with the menu (you can order off the Dining Package or the regular menu -- same Dining Package price applies to all) and a very good view. For fireworks viewing with more elbow room and less wait time, try viewing by IASW. Projections will be shown on the ride building and the fireworks are huge from back there because they launch from behind TT. If the castle isn't a deal breaker for you, the IASW area can be great fireworks viewing. And there is a restroom close by at the FL Theater.
4) If the Harbor side bag check is really backed up, have Uber/Lyft drop you off at DTD. There is a 15 minute grace period, so the driver shouldn't have to pay anything if the drop is quick. You will then go through security at either the DTD or DLH bag check -- usually very short lines at both. Since you prefer to avoid the first-thing-in-the-morning crowds, the Harbor drop off may work fine for you anyway.
5) Will you be getting MP? That can be a big help in dealing with crowds if your family likes rides that are on the FP system. We're not morning people, either, and MP has been a big help for our parks visits.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes we definitely plan on getting Maxpass daily. Trip is looking a lot more certain, but dates are shifting a bit to Mon Nov 19- Sun the 25th-- even busier days! :rotfl2:

We are SO excited!!

We went a few days prior to Thankgiving 2 yrs ago.... The Sunday before Turkey Day wasnt that bad at all.... the Monday and Tues before Turkey day were GHASTLY. Like more crowded than any time I have ever been to DL, ( I have been 8 times in the past 11 yrs) and I have been there in late July.

This is exactly when we are going. We originally were going to do Universal on the 23rd because last year they didnt start their holiday lights until then but they moved it up this year starting on the 17th. So since the 23rd is scheduled to be very busy we are doing Universal on the 18th instead. If I were you I would do Universal before Wednesday. Last year we went on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and did not have express pass. We did everything (except Jurassic Park which we are now kicking ourselves for but we did not want to get wet) multiple times with no problems. Buy the tickets through the website and you can get in like 30 minutes early and hit up Harry Potter area for the large ride there (which fills up fast during the day).

We are thinking Universal on Wed with the Express pass. We arrive Monday, and I think everyone will want to spend the first full day at DL. I am hoping Wed will be less insane than Thurs-Sat, but please tell me if I am wrong!

Really excited that DL is staying open until midnight as we love super late hours in the parks. Booked a Fantasmic! package today. Still trying to decide if any other restaurants might be worth booking.

Has anyone done a grocery order recently? I saw Vons recommended, but their site sent us to Pavilions, and I can't even get that site to set up a usable account.

We are thinking Universal on Wed with the Express pass. We arrive Monday, and I think everyone will want to spend the first full day at DL. I am hoping Wed will be less insane than Thurs-Sat, but please tell me if I am wrong!

Really excited that DL is staying open until midnight as we love super late hours in the parks. Booked a Fantasmic! package today. Still trying to decide if any other restaurants might be worth booking.

Has anyone done a grocery order recently? I saw Vons recommended, but their site sent us to Pavilions, and I can't even get that site to set up a usable account.
I think it was mentioned above. Monday’s are *hectic* at Disneyland. Wednesday’s are generally the least crowded. However during this time period I don’t know for sure if the Wednesday will be much lighter.

I would definitely do USH Monday if I was traveling there.

Vons and Pavilions are the same company. Amazon Fresh/Pantry gets used a lot around here, too. If you use Lansky Car Service from the airport, they can make a short grocery stop on the way to your hotel.

I don’t know if there will be much difference between Monday or Wednesday at universal. Monday - Friday (except for thanksgiving) is predicted to be packed or “forget about it” thanksgiving is the only day suppose to be lighter. If you get there early and have Express pass you should still be fine though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter