• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help With General Mitchell Airport Milwaukee MKE

Tay N Evie's Mom

DIS Veteran
We are from the suburbs of Chicago and have always flown out of Midway or O’Hare. My DS recently moved to Madison, Wisconsin and will be flying out of General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee the end of the month for the 1st time. He is flying Southwest to Orlando. I would appreciate it if anyone who flies out of MKE could give me some information about the airport. Where is the remote airport parking located ( don’t want an offsite 3rd party lot)? What terminal is SWA located in? How is it to navigate the airport? I know for us MDW is a breeze but ORD is a pain. Any other information about the airport would be greatly appreciated 😁!! Thanks so much!

Flying in/out of Milwaukee is easier than doing that at MDW, as verified by customers from northern IL choosing MKE over MDW and ORD.

As you exit I-94 onto WI-119 (the airport spur), there will be an airport sign showing different onsite parking options. The Saver lot is the least expensive option and provides shuttle service to/from the terminal. The daily rate is $8.00. The shuttle ride only is a few minutes, once onboard. Onsite parking rates are very reasonable, compared to Chicago, so covered options are not much more. Daily is under cover in the parking structure of the airport (short walk into terminal).
43196D1E-4426-4BDB-8803-4AE816AB24AC.jpeg

There only is one domestic terminal, but currently two operating concourses; Southwest uses the “C” concourse, which is the concourse on the north end of the 2nd level, where the gates are located. Airline counters are on the 1st level. There are escalators in close vicinity of the counters.

There are shops, coffee stands, grab ‘n go, and sit-down food options pre and post Security.

Upon return, baggage claim is one level down, easily accessed by an escalator, which is about one minute past the front end of TSA checkpoint. The baggage carousels are to the left, at the bottom of the escalator.

There is good signage in the airport, but asking an airline, airport, or vendor employee will provide Midwest-friendly assistance.

Thank you so much for the information!! Glad to hear it’s easy to navigate. We stopped flying out of ORD years ago because of the congestion trying to get to the airport and the ridiculously long trek from remote parking. And, don’t get me started on the underground passageway for United flights!!

The only things to really be aware of is that early or late there is not much available. I've had to stop at the next exit on 94 to get McDonald's a few times knowing nothing is available at the airport either leaving early in the morning or returning late.

If you think MDW is a breeze then there will be no problems with MKE. Like @Gitelfor pointed out, economy lot parking is $8 a day and it's a short trip. I would not and do not feel comfortable having my wife there by herself. We use https://www.thefastpark.com/airport-parking/milwaukee-mitchell-mke It is actually closer to the door of the terminal than the economy lot and a much safer place. For a long time it was also cheaper. I've done the economy lot, and as a 6'3" 220lbs guy in the middle of the day, it was alright, but it was deserted. I waited 15-20 minutes for a shuttle for a 4 minute ride to the terminal.

In the terminal there is a cool little museum about Lt Col Billy Mitchell and the B-24 Mitchell Bomber named after him. Before security is the Miller Brewhouse restaurant. It's pretty good with a very nice view of the tarmac.

Security lines can be a little long without Pre-check, since I got Pre, I've never waited more than 2 minutes. Without I waited as long as 20. Still not bad compared to MDW or ORD.

I live in Madison and fly out of MKE a lot because Southwest doesn't fly out of Madison. I always use Fast Park & Relax for parking. They are always awesome. Super fast pick up, the lot is secure and staffed and rates are very close to what you would pay at the economy parking (sometimes cheaper).

MKE is super easy to get through. While Madison is more convenient (and I only fly out of Madison in the winter), I love flying out of MKE as well.

We LOVE MKE!!!! So easy!! Parking is right there and very affordable. Such a short walk to security. And the airport is much less crowded then ORD

I live just outside of Milwaukee and fly out of MKE. I agree with the other comments that Fastpark is very convenient. I have TSA precheck and never had an issue. Sometimes the regular security line can get long, but they keep things moving.
If I have an early flight, I usually grab a coffee and sandwich from Starbucks in the C concourse. There is also a restaurant that is usually open at the end of the concourse that sells breakfast sandwiches and pizza later in the day.
If you need to check a bag with southwest, make sure you are in the correct line. In August we went to one of the machines first to print our baggage tags, then in a longer line to drop off the bags.

There is also a restaurant that is usually open at the end of the concourse that sells breakfast sandwiches and pizza later in the day.
They also sell 12 packs of Spotted Cow that you can take on the plane. This is about the only thing open early in the morning.

They also sell 12 packs of Spotted Cow that you can take on the plane. This is about the only thing open early in the morning.
That's the only thing I truly miss about Wisconsin! (now I live half way across the country - no spotted cow here!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter