Help with Florida beach trip

Longboat is Monied. Capital M. The multi-millionaires on Longboat tend to be just a wee bit younger than the ones in Naples; lots of 40-50-something early retirees on Longboat. A fair number of celebrities as well; mostly the sort who prefer to fly below the radar. The majority of the island is residential, so you don't get loud partiers on the sidewalks late at night ...

... which you definitely do on Clearwater Beach. Clearwater is a much more egalitarian atmosphere in general, and has a number of gimmicky beach bars that attract large numbers of twenty-somethings. It has actual parking garages that were built just to serve daytripping beachgoers; the only place in Florida that I know of where that has been done. (In general, I avoid Clearwater Beach like the plague. The only reason I go there is to rent boats out of the main marina.)

If your DD is traveling with younger children, I'd say that Longboat would be the better bet.
If there is a question of aquarium visits for kids, there are famous dolphins at the one in Clearwater (CMA), but adorable manatees and thrilling big sharks at the one in Sarasota (Mote Marine).

We stayed at Opal Sands in Clearwater Beach for 3 nights in December before spending several nights at WDW.

We loved the hotel. The sand was amazing on the beach and the feeling of the hotel is like that of a cruise ship. Very pretty and classy & all the rooms face the water and have balconies and from the pool deck you look right out onto the water too so it just has that feel. Friendly service and very relaxing. Easy walk or drive to coffee and restaurants. We hope to go back sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter