• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with family trip!

nycdisneygal

I went ahead and signed up for another kid!
Trying to plan a family trip . for 7 people in august. Only 5 days. I would have to pay majority of it. WIll be my parents , sister and my family. I think my parents will only pay for their plane tickets but maybe I can see if they can pay for my sister but I always pay for her. I am already doing a huge trip to asia in june. Originally wanted to fly to bozeman and see yellowstone but I dont think they can hike that much and plane tix are outrageous and a car rental for 7 people is 2K for 5 days! We had taken them on a cruise few years ago and that worked so well since so many thing were already taken care of but I dont think my parents want to cruise post covid even though they had covid already and were totally fine without any treatment). Any suggestions. Looking into Iceland or places in florida (i know so different) or even Puerto Rico or Bahamas but we I think will melt!!!!? My mom wanted something educational and wanted DC but I hate DC in summer. Direct flights from NYC are what I want (or bradley since I am in CT now). Looking for suggestions that wont be too much work for me and my husband since we have to manage things and he would have to drive.

Last edited:
alaska cruise? lovely weather, activities for all ages, stunning just to sit on the freaking deck and relax. best cruise for just enjoyment/relaxing/low stress we've ever done.

you can get the beauty that you were longing for in bozeman without worrying about folks hiking (though if they are capable of schlepping around florida or dc in august then bozeman would be a literal breeze.

you could do a direct flight to seattle and do one that departs from there.

alaska cruise? lovely weather, activities for all ages, stunning just to sit on the freaking deck and relax. best cruise for just enjoyment/relaxing/low stress we've ever done.

you can get the beauty that you were longing for in bozeman without worrying about folks hiking (though if they are capable of schlepping around florida or dc in august then bozeman would be a literal breeze.

you could do a direct flight to seattle and do one that departs from there.
we took them on that before and 5 days is not enough anways. Thats all I have off from work. We did love it!! I dont think they are ready to cruise again post covid (But i am!).

The easiest option would be a cruise from NY/NJ to Bermuda. Iceland is expensive but beautiful. Somewhere like northern France or Italy would be a good combination of weather and price.

I wouldn't do Europe since you only have 5 days. That would be hard, with the travel and jumping time zones and all. It's especially harder on older people. Also, not everyone can sleep on planes, which would add to the adjustment issues.

Could you consider Canada? Either the Canadian Rockies, maybe Quebec, Cape Breton Isle (probably a drive versus flying, though).

Maybe a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi? There are also summer cruises along the New England coast that would literally give you a different perspective.

It may not be any better, but perhaps check out Idaho Falls, ID and Jackson Hole, WY as other gateway cities to Yellowstone for air and rental car prices.

I do like the western US in the summer for weather.

With just five days another idea is flying into Rapid City, South Dakota and maybe from there pick a base or two based on interests (check airfares and rental car prices first though which sometime can be high at those small airports). We did pretty well there in July of 2018 which is the last time we visited.: Mount Rushmore and Crazy House monuments might be good for your mom's thoughts on educational. The Badlands National park is quite unique for a day trip. And then there is my favorite in the area -- Custer State park with some short scenic drives, a nice easy walk / hike around one of the lakes, the game loop with the biggest herd of buffalo outside of Yellowstone and you see more than in Yellowstone because they are in a compact area. It's such a wonderful place for seeing wildlife. And my favorite activity there lol is to bring a few bags of carrots and feed the feral burros who they let go in the 20 or 30s and you can feed their ancestors. We stayed at a housekeeping cabin at the game lodge loop of Custer State Park and I just loved that. Many stay in Keystone the whole time and do various day trips. That's what I was originally planning to do, but I couldn't get the cabin I wanted and ended up instead doing a little moving around. We did two days in Rapid City (We had friends there we wanted to visit too), then we stayed one night in Wall, SD to visit the Badlands without making it too long a day of driving, and then we did three nights in Custer State park (our housekeeping cabin in the game lodge loop was really sweet). It's a good area for the amount of time you have.

Last edited:
Anywhere you go south, in August, will cause melting. 5 days makes it tough. For a family trip with age ranges, do something simple.

5 night cruise to Bermuda out of Bayonne is easy. Once in Bermuda, public transportation is available or they can just wander around in the port area. Shops, restaurants, a museum, and a small beach are all right there. You can limit your crowd time on board with a balcony room for fresh air.

I would agree with a pp that Acadia would be nice. Stay in Bar Harbor: there is public transportation/tours as well as things to do in walking distance.

If you took them on a cruise, I assume everyone has passports. If that's the case, and since this is a budget board, I'd suggest a Niagara Falls/Toronto trip. Great weather, right amount of time to enjoy the area, even driveable (to hold down cost), and you can use bus passes in the city and enjoy the tourist attractions.

If not, I second your mom - DC is a great for a driveable budget trip. Just stay on the VA side for evening dinners and safety/security.

It may not be any better, but perhaps check out Idaho Falls, ID and Jackson Hole, WY as other gateway cities to Yellowstone for air and rental car prices.

I do like the western US in the summer for weather.

With just five days another idea is flying into Rapid City, South Dakota and maybe from there pick a base or two based on interests (check airfares and rental car prices first though which sometime can be high at those small airports). We did pretty well there in July of 2018 which is the last time we visited.: Mount Rushmore and Crazy House monuments might be good for your mom's thoughts on educational. The Badlands National park is quite unique for a day trip. And then there is my favorite in the area -- Custer State park with some short scenic drives, a nice easy walk / hike around one of the lakes, the game loop with the biggest herd of buffalo outside of Yellowstone and you see more than in Yellowstone because they are in a compact area. It's such a wonderful place for seeing wildlife. And my favorite activity there lol is to bring a few bags of carrots and feed the feral burros who they let go in the 20 or 30s and you can feed their ancestors. We stayed at a housekeeping cabin at the game lodge loop of Custer State Park and I just loved that. Many stay in Keystone the whole time and do various day trips. That's what I was originally planning to do, but I couldn't get the cabin I wanted and ended up instead doing a little moving around. We did two days in Rapid City (We had friends there we wanted to visit too), then we stayed one night in Wall, SD to visit the Badlands without making it too long a day of driving, and then we did three nights in Custer State park (our housekeeping cabin in the game lodge loop was really sweet). It's a good area for the amount of time you have.
Was thinking of this but flying and renting from denver because of prices. The drive from denver to keystone is supposed to be beautiful. but 7 in a car! ugh! lol!!!!

Was thinking of this but flying and renting from denver because of prices. The drive from denver to keystone is supposed to be beautiful. but 7 in a car! ugh! lol!!!!
Denver is a great airport for direct flights and good prices, but I agree with you. It would be a good six hours each way from Denver International to Keystone, SD (too long) for me too. I'm a bit of a driving weenie, especially if after getting there some of the activities would be scenic driving.

If I were flying to Denver I do really like staying in Estes Park and visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. The drive to Estes Park is under two hours. At Rocky Mountain National Park, one fun full day activity is the drive up Trail Ridge Road with stopping at all the lookouts up to the Alpine Visitor Center and back or maybe all the way to the Grand Lake Lodge and back (that's what we usually do). This drive and the lookouts are fabulous! In town and in the park, you'll see lots of elk and other critter too. And for another day, the Bear Lake area is so beautiful. I love the day time tour about the history of the Stanley Hotel too (but not the ghost tour there). Those two activities could be another full day. My favorite hike in RMNP, and it's family friendly is the Emerald Lake hike from Bear Lake. Your parents could maybe just go to Dream Lake and back if they want a shorter one and the rest of you could go to Emerald Lake and back. I love the ranger programs too which are educational and fun.

But this National Park is over loved these days, so you need to get timed entry tickets in advance (be online right when reservations open up for your month if you do this and reserve each day). I'd do three nights / two full days at Estes Park / RMNP. They have separate timed tickets for the park except the Bear Lake area and the Bear lake area which includes other areas too, but must enter the Bear Lake area first. Also, with the high altitude, we if going to Colorado, we spend the first night in Denver proper to adjust a little. If there are things that would interest you in Denver, a combo Denver / Rocky Mountain National Park - Estes Park trip might be nice. Denver being less humid in the summer is nice in the summer and the mountains (if you have adjusted to the altitude a little) are just glorious in the summer - heaven on earth to me.)

For Estes Park / RMNP, the later in August the better too IMHO as it's less crowded as some kids have gone back to school, so if considering this I'd do it as late in August as would work for everyone. The timed tickets though have really improved things, so as long as you get those I think it would be fine.

I second the SD trip! It was one of our favorites. We flew into Rapid City and prices weren’t that much higher than Denver, but that depends where you’re coming from. There was so much to do there for all ages. Depending on fitness level, you could walk a little or hike a lot. And all the sights and attractions were within a hour drive which is a must for me. I hate being in a rental car for hours a day! I never expected the beauty and diversity of landscape in the area, and the abundance of wildlife was exciting.

London is only a 7 hour flight from NY.

San Francisco, Portland and Seattle are usually not as hot during the summer as other locations.

San Diego is always nice.

We had a surprisingly good time in Philadelphia on a short trip once - lots of educational stuff.

Don't forget to consider Canada too: I think Vancouver or Quebec would be a great 5 day trip.

Hmmmm......I've been meaning to check out Quebec......now you have me thinking LOL

Boston? Lots of history in the city as well as in surrounding towns like Salem. Southern Maine seacoast area? IF you can find an airbnb house, you could day-trip into Boston or Portland ME, enjoy the seacoast, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter