Help with DSLR purchase

Witch Mountain

Mouseketeer
Hi. I noticed these boards over here and figured I could ask opinions here. I'm about to bite the bullet on a DSLR purchase and figured those who have gone before me might have some good, bad and ugly to report about their cameras.

A little background: I've used SLRs since 1980, when my Dad got me a Minolta XG-1 for Christmas after years of using his various point and shoot type cameras (Brownie, 126 and 110). For years, I was throwing a lot of money in to lenses, extra bodies and film. Currently, I'm sitting with an XG-1, XG-M and an X-370 body, six lenses, Cokin filters and two tripods.

When my older son was born, my DH bought me an Advantix-style camera and that became my go-to because my photography style didn't work with active child. Then, about 10 years ago, he gave me a Nikon CoolPix 2500 and that thing has been fantastic. A friend bought one of their newer ones and hated that the on/off was no longer a slider, so I have a CoolPix 6000, too. I also have a Flip for videotaping (was given to me to vlog stuff a couple of years ago).

Now, thanks to my college program, I'll be using Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some other programs to do video editing. I'm feeling that a 6mp point and shoot and a grainy digital camera are not going to measure up to the needs. Besides, I've wanted a DSLR for several years, but couldn't justify the expense. Now I can.

I started looking at the Nikons because Minolta is no more and because I'm pretty happy with their point and shoot product. I started looking at the D90, D3000 and D5000 because they're fairly reasonably priced and do video. I'm probably going to go the rental route with one of the online services.

Several bloggers I follow also use the Canon EOS line and the output they've posted is nice, too. Way back when, I sold cameras at Monkey Wards when the first EOS film SLR was introduced and liked the dual depth of field option.

So, that's where I'm coming from.

Would you tell me about your camera-what you like, what you wish it had, what you feel it does really well? I'll be reading the threads to get a feel for the different brands. Who knows, I might see something from one of the other brands that inspires me to go in a different direction.

Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased a Sony a55. The Sony cameras with the "A mount" can use Minolta lenses. The website dyxum.com has a lot of information for "A mount" cameras, including lists and reviews of the lenses that work on the cameras. Maybe you could check there and see if your lenses will work on a Sony. (I suspect they would, but I'm no expert.)

It would be nice if you can use some of the equipment you already have. I'm just discovering how expensive the lenses can be. :eek: Good luck with your selection.

Thanks!

It's been years since I've actually purchased anything, so I had no idea where to begin. Cool to know about the Sony A mount. I've got a wonderful mirror convex 500mm lens and some great 1.8 wide angle and fish eye that I'd love to use again. Too bad going digital changed me into an instant gratification kind of shutterbug! :lmao:

If I had a nice stash of lenses that will work on a particular mount I'd be very inclined to stick with that. All of the brands have good points and bad. IMO you can't go wrong with any of them. It's mostly finding which one works best for you.

if you haven't been there, dpreview.com has some good rundowns on the latest gear in their reviews.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The ability to use those lenses is definitely a plus, especially since I'd written that possibility off completely.

It looks like I've got some exploring to do this weekend between reading about Photoshop. At least the first assignment is to take an image I already have of myself and bring it down to 72 dpi.

A few points to bring up, good and bad. First off, no worries picking from the current DSLR market - there are no bad options out there, and whether you end up liking a Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, or Olympus, you'll have a fine camera and access to some nice lenses. I'd recommend looking at them all, because you really have no reason not to - there may be a design, a feature, or just a feel that suits you best with one of these.

Second, the bad news: Sony did buy out Minolta's DSLR business and continued the A-mount (formerly known as Maxxum, or Minolta AF mount), so all current Sony DSLR bodies still work with Minolta AF lenses going back 25 years. However, the cameras you mentioned are from Minolta's manual focus 'M' or 'MD' mount...those lenses are not compatible with a Sony DSLR without an adapter...and with the adapter, you have to be careful as some Sony DSLRs can't meter in priority modes with the adapters, and can't release the shutter (some models of Sony DSLRs have a 'release w/o lens' function that will allow use of these adapters and lenses). And of course, they remain manual focus only. In full manual mode, the adapter will allow these lenses to work on any Sony DSLR - it's up to you if it's worth the trouble.

Third - you have some other options that might be interesting - such as Sony's NEX and Olympus and Panasonic's Micro 4:3 cameras...these are both more compact, mirrorless cameras using DSLR like sensors (M4:3 with the Oly and Panny, APS-C with the Sony). They are slightly simplified interfaces, can be controlled manually but with more menu diving, use LCDs to frame rather than optical finders, so you have to make sure something like those would work for you. The upside is: these are the best cameras possible for using legacy lenses. And I mean ANY legacy lenses! There are myriad glassless adapters that can fit these cameras, and due to the lack of mirror and shallow register, they can be fitted with almost any camera mount ever made - enthusiasts with these camers are buying lenses from Minolta MD mount, Pentax Takumar, Voightlander, Leica, Zeiss, Contax, Canon and Nikon manual lenses, M42 mount, and more - and in many cases at giveaway prices...and fitting them to their NEX and Pen mount cameras.

As for the DSLR route, if you decide you want the more traditional design and build your own lens collection - Canon and Nikon are the obvious choices as the two biggest sellers with the largest collection of available lenses. Sony and Pentax are great options as they share the same sensors (Sony makes the sensors for Nikon and Pentax too), and are similarly capable in all regards, with some unique selling points (in-body stabilization for both, Sony's live view system with full phase detect AF, Pentax's backwards compatibility to all past Pentax lenses including manual focus, Sony's backwards compatibility with Minolta's AF lenses, and Pentax's high degree of customization and menu control). Olympus has some unique DSLRs using the 4:3 sensor and a well-deserved reputation for their excellent Zuiko glass.

Hope that helps open up the choices and gets you out looking and comparing!

Wow!

Justin, you gave so much useful information in one post.

As I had pretty much written off using those lenses on anything new, if I don't get a camera that uses them, I'll be fine. It does bring up an interesting question to ask a rental company, do you rent Sony bodies that already are able to mount Minolta MD lenses? (I'm sure they're going to love that one.)

It's good to know that the playing field is more even with DSLRs than it was with the film cameras. When I got mine, everyone had the AE-1, the OM-10, the Nikon that was out (forget the model) or the XG-1. We had a bunch of mom and pop camera stores nearby and my dad would tell me which one had a rep at their store for about six months. I'd ride my bike to whatever shop and get to play around with them for a while and ask a bunch of questions.

Nowadays, I have to go to Orlando for a camera store. Thus, the online legwork. It wasn't even until I sat in class Monday night that the want of a DSLR changed to a 'need' when we reviewed the syllabus. Suprisingly, my DH didn't bat an eye at the news that I needed to spend a lot of money this semester. ;)

So when I get tired of the schoolwork, I'll have another site to check out. While it'd be nice to have something new in hand now, a little patience will serve me well in the long run.

Let me simplify this for you. In my opinion.

First let me say welcome.

If you have that level of photography knowledge, the transition to digital will be pretty easy. Camera math is camera math. With digital you will just add a few more creative options to the mix such as adjustable ISO. white balance, etc. You may say to yourself that it has been a long time though. It will come back fast!

I personally started with Minolta back in High School, back in the dark ages. I then switched to Nikon and have used them since. I would not waste any time trying to adapt your old stuff in any way. You want to start clean.

Any of the basic DSLR's by any mfg will do a great job for you today. While I use Nikon, you will find others that will pitch their brand of choice.

My suggestion is you go to a camera store not a Best Buy etc. Ask to see each of the brands you want to check out and play with them. See which one fits in your hand. The dials seem to make sense, etc. Then check around and see if there are any deals online or locally with a kit. That will be a body and one or two lenses. That will give you the best bang for your buck. It will probably to consumer grade zoom lenses that will give you a good focal length span but will not be the fastest or best quality glass. Dont get me wrong there is really nothing wrong with kit lenses. They are what they are.

If you already know from past experience what your shooting style is such as portraits, landscapes, wide angle, etc. then I would buy the body and look for the best quality lens I can afford of the type lens I use most. To me in the final analogy, the body is the brain but it is the glass that is the window you look through. The better the window the better the results. Once again, my opinion. If this is the case we all can help with brand specific lenses and quality. Lenses are the addiction in photography as far as I am concerned.

As far as Nikon goes, and this is only based on what you have posted, I would seriously look at the D7000. While Nikon considers it a mid range consumer body, the reviews are amazing. It is very current technology at an amazing price for what you get.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Once again welcome and you will love the digital world!

Hi. I noticed these boards over here and figured I could ask opinions here. I'm about to bite the bullet on a DSLR purchase and figured those who have gone before me might have some good, bad and ugly to report about their cameras.

A little background: I've used SLRs since 1980, when my Dad got me a Minolta XG-1 for Christmas after years of using his various point and shoot type cameras (Brownie, 126 and 110). For years, I was throwing a lot of money in to lenses, extra bodies and film. Currently, I'm sitting with an XG-1, XG-M and an X-370 body, six lenses, Cokin filters and two tripods.

When my older son was born, my DH bought me an Advantix-style camera and that became my go-to because my photography style didn't work with active child. Then, about 10 years ago, he gave me a Nikon CoolPix 2500 and that thing has been fantastic. A friend bought one of their newer ones and hated that the on/off was no longer a slider, so I have a CoolPix 6000, too. I also have a Flip for videotaping (was given to me to vlog stuff a couple of years ago).

Now, thanks to my college program, I'll be using Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some other programs to do video editing. I'm feeling that a 6mp point and shoot and a grainy digital camera are not going to measure up to the needs. Besides, I've wanted a DSLR for several years, but couldn't justify the expense. Now I can.

I started looking at the Nikons because Minolta is no more and because I'm pretty happy with their point and shoot product. I started looking at the D90, D3000 and D5000 because they're fairly reasonably priced and do video. I'm probably going to go the rental route with one of the online services.

Several bloggers I follow also use the Canon EOS line and the output they've posted is nice, too. Way back when, I sold cameras at Monkey Wards when the first EOS film SLR was introduced and liked the dual depth of field option.

So, that's where I'm coming from.

Would you tell me about your camera-what you like, what you wish it had, what you feel it does really well? I'll be reading the threads to get a feel for the different brands. Who knows, I might see something from one of the other brands that inspires me to go in a different direction.

Thanks in advance.

you can also look at the Canon 60D -

http://www.popphoto.com/reviews/cameras/2011/01/tested-canon-60d

or Canon T2i (550D) -

http://www.popphoto.com/reviews/cameras/2010/05/camera-test-canon-eos-rebel-t2i

YesDear (I love the name!), I figured I would go with one kit lens to get me started. Being old school means buying lenses a la carte, right?

Back before kids, I did a ton of nature photography and some concerts here and there, and I seemed to take pictures of all the events with family and friends. Now, it'll probably be nature, architecture and the kids. I'm looking at the ISOs on this generation of cameras and I'm happy that I won't suffer with extreme graininess as the price to pay for using 1600 film.

You're right, it will come back quick, because when I take pictures with the point and shoot or my phone, I'm reminded of all the things I used to do with the Minoltas! The last shuttle launch, I almost dragged them out, but didn't get film to do it. Oops.

Bob, thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking through the photo threads for Canon and Nikon over here and then trying to see if the signatures have camera information. :)

Since you are starting new and it sounds like your old lenses will not work, you should consider all brands. Also consider some of the newer mirror-less models from Sony and Olympus (and maybe Panasonic :confused3). I personally use Pentax and have been nothing but happy. I really like the feel and also the bang for the buck. If you consider them, look at the K-r and K-x. The best thing to do is compare the specs on all in your budget and also try to handle them in person to see what feels good. Taking someone else's opinion is not always the best thing because it might not be the best for you.

True.

The reason for asking is to see if there's a common theme to a like/dislike of a particular camera. For instance, if you said "I love XYZ camera except that it's so heavy once you've got a lens on it" then that rules it out for me.

By the same token, if someone says "I like the variety of options on the screen with ABC camera," that may appeal to me (the CoolPix2500 has a great one). It's all going to help in some way.

You know that Cars.com commercial a few years back "I need a car...no a truck...four wheel drive...red" and it filters down from countless vehicles to one red SUV? That's what I need, but there isn't anything like that for cameras.

I went to all the big boxes to look at what they've got to get a feel for what's out there, what they feel like in my hands (but can't get an accurate idea of weight with those stupid security mounts). My town doesn't have a camera shop, so I'm not really getting help and insights from other hobbyists when I go in these places.

When I saw there was a photography board here, the light bulb went off. Heck, this is the place that when I play with CS5 and my pictures, the odds are good that no one is going to question all the amusement park photos.

My stepdad got a security job with Canon USA when he retired years ago. As a result, he loaded up on Canon equipment and we'd have spirited debates about why my camera was better than his. ;) I grudgingly told him they made the best bubblejet printers, so they had that going for them.

Just trying to narrow the search, if that makes sense.

My only additional comment about which camera to select.

Be mindful that you are buying into a system. Once you select the body, you will be looking at lenses and accessories from that system.

The major brands Nikon and Canon will have the largest name brand and secondary brand selection just because they have so much of the market.

After spending time on dpreview.com, perusing NewEgg and hitting up the websites of several friends who are photo buffs, I narrowed it down further. Today, I went to HH Gregg to get the D90 in hand and see what it was like (I'd played with the Pentax KR, the Nikon 3100 and 5000 and the Canon T1 rebel over the past week, too.)

The reviews I saw (and a blog I follow, plus the guy's flickr feed) helped me pick the D90. Based on what is expected from me in school, going for something that is considered entry-level pro saves me from buying a second camera any time soon, which probably would have happened if I went with the D3100.

My husband works in retail, and that was one of the few Nikons his employer carries. So, I got the D90 body, a 18-105 and a 50-200 lens. It was a little more than I'd budgeted for myself, but the package deal and the discount were too good a deal to pass up. The 50-200 lens separately would have cost a LOT more.

I'm looking forward to playing once it arrives on Wednesday.

Thanks again for all the insights! UK, I thank you for the nod to Pentax, the X-r is a really good camera, too- it just didn't seem to mesh well with for me. YesDear's point about the wide availability of lenses reminded me of what that was like for me back in the day with the Minoltas that friends with other cameras envied.

Photo_Chick, I spent hours on dpreview.com. It was pretty cool to see my point and shoot reviewed on there in 2002. What an incredible and well-organized site that I will suggest to others.

Bob, thanks for the popphoto.com links, because they did help a lot.

I'm hoping that next weekend, I'll be able to add some nice pictures from my photo explorations over here.

This just effectively solved my husband's gift giving dilemma for the next couple of years, because I've got a wish list of lenses that are 'wants', not needs. :rotfl2:

Congrats, I've had a d90, the 18-105 is a nice lens and a nice upgrade from the standard 18-55 lens. Video is slow to respond on that camera and is limited to just a few minutes, but that's about normal with most DSLR (except the A55)

That's good to hear first hand about it. I'm looking at it as being a huge step up from the Flip I've been using. It's rare that I'm going to need anything over 5 minutes. I'm supposed to learn video editing, so if I have to take multiple videos (don't see why) and knit them together, it will work out fine.

Come on, Wednesday! My best friend lives four hours away and we made plans to meet halfway next Saturday. She reminded me that the last time we met there, I took pictures all day with the point and shoot and was commenting how I would take this picture or that one with an SLR. She also said she'd make sure she wears makeup, because she's figuring she'll show up in my Facebook photo album. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter