Help with Delta downgrade refund

KCanuck

Mouseketeer
As a result of an aircraft switch we were downgraded at the last minute from First to Comfort Plus on Dec 27. We were given Ecredits for $300 each that day. Does anyone have experience with this? I would like to know what to ask for when I contact them. The fare difference when I search random dates is always more than $300. When I googled this some people received a fare difference plus an Ecredit.
Two other issues are that the credit card I used for the tickets has been replaced since then because my husband lost his. So that could affect a fare difference refund if they are going to give us one. The second leg of the flight was just yesterday so I am wondering if I should wait and see if I get a fare difference refund automatically.

I would not wait. Contact them today. Let them know you paid $x for the tickets, and you should be entitled to a refund for $y (whatever the difference is between what you paid and what they're selling for).

When you say "always more than $300", how much more? You need to decide if it's worth whatever hassle.

Message them today on the Delta app and tell them you want a cash refund for the downgrade. I wouldn’t even mention the e-credit, I would assume it was an apology. If the customer service rep responds you got a ecredit instead of a cash refund tell them that is unacceptable, per DOT regulations and you want a cash refund for the fare difference.

The credit card company should accept the refund and pass it on to you even though you changed the card number, they know it’s the same account. At worst they bounce the refund back to Delta and you have to follow up with Delta and request a check but imho that is unlikely.

I found with Delta that you have to call to get money back. Take OP's advice and call asap. Good luck!

Message them today on the Delta app and tell them you want a cash refund for the downgrade. I wouldn’t even mention the e-credit, I would assume it was an apology. If the customer service rep responds you got a ecredit instead of a cash refund tell them that is unacceptable, per DOT regulations and you want a cash refund for the fare difference.
DOT requirements for fare difference refund may not apply due to the change in aircraft type. If they had outright bumped OP, they would not be required to be compensated beyond travel on the next available flight with space. Other thing that will inhibit OP is that Delta may very well compare whatever discount First Class fare the OP had to full fare C+ and the difference will be negligible.
My recommendation would be to call and ask nicely for the historical price difference. Did they give you the option to wait for the next available flight with FC space?

DOT requirements for fare difference refund may not apply due to the change in aircraft type. If they had outright bumped OP, they would not be required to be compensated beyond travel on the next available flight with space. Other thing that will inhibit OP is that Delta may very well compare whatever discount First Class fare the OP had to full fare C+ and the difference will be negligible.
My recommendation would be to call and ask nicely for the historical price difference. Did they give you the option to wait for the next available flight with FC space?
They are still entitled to the refund for the downgrade even in the case of an aircraft change. They aren’t entitled to bumped passenger compensation in case of an aircraft change, but they were not bumped.

And I would still Message them in the app over calling, it will become a text thing and communicate with them on your schedule. Calling airlines sucks.

I find Elliott.org to give some great insight on how to communicate to corporations on how to get what you need and how to get them to respond.

They have a recent blog about a downgrade though it’s a little different from your situation, but might help you get some ideas.

They are still entitled to the refund for the downgrade even in the case of an aircraft change. They aren’t entitled to bumped passenger compensation in case of an aircraft change, but they were not bumped.

And I would still Message them in the app over calling, it will become a text thing and communicate with them on your schedule. Calling airlines sucks.
If they offered to transport OP on the next available flight with positive F space there would be no downgrade compensation required. The OP would have then voluntarily downgraded to take the flight at the scheduled time. The other thing as I pointed out, if they take the discount F fare it could very well be less than the walk up Y+ fare. No compensation as OP would have actually gotten a higher value ticket.
Delta in particular has a completely different crew on the messages than on the phone. There are reports on FlyerTalk of messaging agents just ending the chat when it gets to the end of their shift. All calls at Delta are recorded and any supervisor can go back and pull the recordings if necessary.

Delta will in general give a refund for the difference on the day the fare was booked not current fares. Some issues: did the original plane have both classes. Were they charged for checked bags with the downgrade as first class includes 2 checked bags where as comfort plus does not? If they were allowed the checked bags the main difference is a dedicated flight attendand. Call/text or email your case and see how they reply but know what the difference was from first to comfort to make your case for the compensation you are looking for.
Side notes are this can happen for many reasons mainly mechanical issues with a change of planes. Delta did the right thing by giving a e credit without having to ask. With that airlines will try to get away with as little as possible they may or may not stick to the original credit so make your case with what you had to what you received specifically.

That has happened to me except it kept us in Delta Comfort+ but rearranged our seats. Thankfully I caught it in time to get it fixed. We have yet to fly on the two bookings this occurred on, but I check our flights every morning now because of this.

I hate this happened to you, and I hope you are able to get a good resolution from Delta! When we called when this happened to us, she was able to get our seats back no problem, so I am hoping the best for you!

Did you purchase a first class seat or did you originally purchase a coach class seat and then upgrade via miles or cash. The rules are very different from a compensation perspective if you upgraded.

I have faced seat downgrades from Delta (although not first class). I have paid for exit row and then gotten switched as well. They always state that seat assignment per the carriage contract are never guaranteed. Once I got a credit for the switch, but others I didn't. I don't think that's right, and even up the complaint line they keep stating 'seat assignment per carriage contract not a guarantee....." I think if you pay for something and don't get it, they should at the least refund you. One other thought, though, if you got downgraded on just one leg of the flight that may be why the credit seems lower as it would only be half the difference between comfort and first since it was only one of two flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter