Help With Chicago Visit

Nagle

Proud Canadian
Folks

Just came across a possible trip to Chicago over the Easter weekend. We have never been before and are interested in any advice/tips people could send our way about things to do or see. I would try to score tix to see the Blackhawks play while there. Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
John

Do you know where you will be staying? Once you figure that out, it will be easier to see what there might be to do in the area. If you're planning to get Hawks tickets, I would look into them now. It's difficult to get tickets this year. If you do end up going to a game, there are some good bars/restaurants in the area of the United Center to check out before or after the game (just be careful, the area around there is not the greatest). Downtown, Navy Pier is really fun, there are some architecture crusises that are nice, shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, so you could explore Little Italy, Little Village (Mexican), Ukrainian Village, etc.

Ann

The Blackhawks games are nearly all sold out. The only seats that are left from the actual Ticketmaster site are standing room only. Stubhub, Craigslist, and Gold Coast Tickets are all selling for about double face-value for just standing room. IMO, I won't pay $60 to stand...:confused3
As for other things to do, ESPN Zone will probably play the game. Or check out the museums. Sky Deck on the Sears Tower is pretty cool too. Shopping on Michigan Ave. There are a lot of fun things to do in Chicago :)

Do you know where you will be staying? Once you figure that out, it will be easier to see what there might be to do in the area. If you're planning to get Hawks tickets, I would look into them now. It's difficult to get tickets this year. If you do end up going to a game, there are some good bars/restaurants in the area of the United Center to check out before or after the game (just be careful, the area around there is not the greatest). Downtown, Navy Pier is really fun, there are some architecture crusises that are nice, shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, so you could explore Little Italy, Little Village (Mexican), Ukrainian Village, etc.

Ann

Thanks for giving me a starting point. The only tix showing for the Hawks I can find so far are standing room which would be fine if I don't find better. My wife would certainly love to shop while my son and I go to a game. A cruise sounds like a winner, as does visiting little Italy.

Thereis a Hilton listed on Travelocity that seems to be near the waterfront. I will keep researching.

Thanks
John

Just booked 4 nights at the Palmer House Hilton for next month. Guess that narrows down where we will be staying.

John

The Palmer House Hilton is beautiful, and close to the shopping and dining in the Magnificent Mile area! :thumbsup2 The Shedd Aquaruim is wonderful, as well as the Art Museum if either one of those interest you. Navy Pier is fun, and there are literally hundreds of dining options around you. If you want to try authentic Chicago Deep Dish pizza go to Gino's East, it is fantastic! :goodvibes

Have never stayed at Palmer House Hilton, but the lobby alone is worth a look. Our very favorite home base in Chicago is Embassy Suites at State and Ohio.

I'd recommend looking into a visitor's transportation pass to use while you're there. You can ride the el or the buses on that pass during your visit. One place I know for certain it's available is the Jewel Osco grocery store on State & Ohio Streets(customer service desk).

Have a fabulous time in a great city.

Thanks folks. Really looking forward to the trip. Have a few more questions though if anyone can help me out.

We will be travelling with my 77 year old mother-in-law and was wondering if someone could recommend a few restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel for breakfast.

I won't be renting a car for this trip so would like to know the most convenient way to get to the hotel from Ohare.

Thanks

again

John

There is an earlier thread about visiting Chicago, and I got a lot of great info before I visited Chicago last year. We were at a conference and didn't have a lot of free time but did get a chance to try the Grand Lux Cafe, which we really enjoyed. We also went to the Museum of Natural History (great!). Chicago is a wonderful city to walk around in - lots to see and do. I would love to go back.

If youhave the time, this is fun.

611100550_gQ7Qw-M.jpg

611097396_hGrXJ-M.jpg

the sears(willis) tower.

Mikeeee

Just stayed at the Palmer House in Jan. for Sox Fest. Love It! There is a nice breakfast buffet in the hotel itself. You can do cold items, the full buffet or order off of the menu. There is a Corner Bakery right outside the door that serves breakfast as well. If you plan on eating at the Grand Lux you need to get there right when it opens or you will have a very long wait.

If you will be doing museums you might want to check out getting a City Pass that will take you into alot of Chicago attractions at the best price.

Just stayed at the Palmer House in Jan. for Sox Fest. Love It! There is a nice breakfast buffet in the hotel itself. You can do cold items, the full buffet or order off of the menu. There is a Corner Bakery right outside the door that serves breakfast as well. If you plan on eating at the Grand Lux you need to get there right when it opens or you will have a very long wait.

If you will be doing museums you might want to check out getting a City Pass that will take you into alot of Chicago attractions at the best price.

any time anyone plans a trip to a chicago museum get your tickets online early. I walked the visiting in-laws past a line of at least a thousand people for the shed aquarium. to a line of about 20 people!

Mikeeee

any time anyone plans a trip to a chicago museum get your tickets online early. I walked the visiting in-laws past a line of at least a thousand people for the shed aquarium. to a line of about 20 people!

Mikeeee

Sorry to hijack the thread but we'll be in Chicago in June. How early to you mean to get tickets?? Before we leave home or the same morning that we plan to go to the museum? Thanks

It is very easy to get from O'Hare to the Palmer House. You can take the El ($2.25 per ride/per person) on the Blue Line and get off at the Monroe Stop. It is only about a block or two east of a walk from there. I would allow about an hour for this journey.

Have fun!

Sorry to hijack the thread but we'll be in Chicago in June. How early to you mean to get tickets?? Before we leave home or the same morning that we plan to go to the museum? Thanks

You could purchase tickets online now if you wanted at the websites for the various museums. I believe the PP just meant to get them online instead of standing in line to purchase tickets the day of your visit. Although, if you plan to go to specific shows/events/exhibits at the museums, buying now or a few days ahead of time would guarantee you your first choice of time slots.

The City Pass includes using some special lines for easy entry as well (Sears Tower) and yes these can be purchased online in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter