Help With AK strategy

geegee14

Earning My Ears
We’re doing AK for one day prior to our Disney Cruise with me, dh, and kids 3,5, and 7. Have taken them to MK, Epcot, and DHS before, but haven’t been to AK in many many years. Park opens at 7am. We have Tusker House at 10:30.

Suggestions for the order of attractions keeping our breakfast spot in mind? Don’t need to do FOP or Everest. Thanks!

Kijimanjaro Safaris first thing in the morning (to avoid lines). Followed by the animal trail (Pangani forest) immediately next to it.
Look at times for Festival of the Lion King and try to do it immediately before or immediately after your Tusker House meal (since they are both right there) depending on when you are done looking at the African animals.
This begins and ends your morning completely in Africa- a great way to start things.
Secure a Fastpass+ for Na'vi River Journey to avoid the line. You can use your other Fastpass+ for Dinosaur (since you're not doing FOP or EE) and plan your time in Pandora and Dinoland around those FP+ times.

You sure you don’t need to do FoP?? If it’s just about the long wait, keep checking for FP or rope drop, otherwise that’s fine I was just wondering.

Without FoP and Everest, the main things are Kilimanjaro Safaris and Na’vi River Journey. If it’s warm/hot, Kali is a priority as well. I would get FPs for Kilimanjaro, Na’vi, and Kali for mid-day (between 10:30am and 3pm). Don’t rush rope drop, most people will be headed to FoP. Sign up for Wilderness Explorers, you can play these through the park. Do the M&G and then Dinosaur. Then, take a moment to walk through the trail in Asia (blanking on the name right now) before watching the Nemo show. Eat breakfast. You should already be in Africa, walk through the trail there before Lion King show. I would stop for a bit of streetmosphere and then use FPs and eat lunch. After that, since you have little kids, you could go to the Boneyard and ride TriceraTop. Afterwards, watch the Up! show in Asia. Then take in some streetmosphere and walk through the Tree of Light trails and the Oasis before dinner. Get in standby for Rivers of Light, then watch the Awakenings before exploring Pandora at night.

Quite honestly, without FoP and EE, the day is pretty loose and unpacked. I struggled thinking of what to do while writing this because, honestly, there’s not a ton. This doesn’t mean that it’s a bad park - I love Animal Kingdom - just keep in mind that you SHOULD have time for FoP and EE, so why skip?

Kijimanjaro Safaris first thing in the morning (to avoid lines). Followed by the animal trail (Pangani forest) immediately next to it.
Look at times for Festival of the Lion King and try to do it immediately before or immediately after your Tusker House meal (since they are both right there) depending on when you are done looking at the African animals.
This begins and ends your morning completely in Africa- a great way to start things.
Secure a Fastpass+ for Na'vi River Journey to avoid the line. You can use your other Fastpass+ for Dinosaur (since you're not doing FOP or EE) and plan your time in Pandora and Dinoland around those FP+ times.
Keeping the children's ages in mind, this plan in some version is what I was thinking as well. ha
Kil. Safari, The Lion King show and Na'vi River, are perfect as there is a less traveled path that leads back and forth from Africa to Pandora.

Last edited:
Kil. Safari, The Lion King show and Na'vi River, are perfect as there is a less traveled path that lead back and forth from Africa to Pandora.

I would have never known that path existed if I hadn't waited in a 4 hour line for FOP that doubled back through there :)

Even if only the adults ride, FoP shouldn't be missed. It's incredible... probably the best attraction at Walt Disney World. Try to snag a fast pass for it.

Agree with the above about rope dropping Kilimanjaro Safari and then working through Africa in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter