Help with a Wedding Videographer

liquidsky88

There's a mouse in the house!
We are in the middle of booking our wedding in Disney. Does anyone have any suggestions who to use to video our wedding? Should we go with Disney on this one or use an outside vendor?

I used Disney and I wouldn't have it any other way now that I've seen the pictures. There were two photographers and they were both wonderful. They weren't all in our faces at the reception, which was important since we only had 15 people and were all seated at a Roman Table. The 6 hour package was good and was just a little over $3,000. We have a $750. credit for our album. If you can, I really recommend having the Magic Kingdom Portrait Session done. Getting up at 3am to have the make-up lady come wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but you can't beat being shuttled into the Magic Kingdom before anyone else gets to be there. The pictures....I just can't explain how amazing they are. It was worth the $750.

These are your wedding pictures and video and, unless you get a REALLY good deal (under $1,500), you should go with the best. Afterall, they can get you into places (like the closed off balcony at the Contemporary to take pictures with the fireworks in the background) that other photographers can't. Plus, they're lots of fun to have around and it's included in your minimum. Looking at my pictures brings a huge smile to my face and I also relaxed knowing that I went with Disney and I didn't have to "check them out" with the Better Business Bureau or any other agency like that.

So, that's one vote for Disney!

Hi! I have heard good things about Disney photography, b/c those are professional photographers. Their videography dept, however, is a different story. If you're getting married in the pavilion, the cameras are 3 fixed ones, operated by remote control, by an hourly employee working all 3 cameras at once. We interviewed about 7 or 8 videographers before deciding on STVS, and we definitely thought Disney's sample video was the poorest quality of all, and more expensive than many of the outside vendors. The cameras are fixed above your heads, looking down on you, which is a very condescending angle, if you know anything about photography. It also gives it somewhat of a "surveillance camera" feel. Because one hourly employee (this is the critical part) works all 3 cameras, you can't have the same attention to detail that you'd get if you had 2 or 3 professionals taping, one behind each camera. We really wanted to know that the person taping our wedding was a professional who we'd interviewed beforehand and whose work we'd seen.
We went with STVS, and couldn't be more pleased! Our package was very inexpensive, and we got 3 camera coverage of the ceremony still. I really wanted 3 cameras, so that we could get full facial shots of the groom, too, not just the bride.
We also wanted broadcast quality digital video cameras used (which Disney does not use), and STVS uses very high quality cameras. We wanted these cameras, to help minimize the pavilion glare. Even though they've shaded the windows, the glare is still an issue. If you want to check out their site, it's at http://stvsweddings.com/disneydemo.htm
You can also find reviews of more vendors at www.yourfairytale.com. We also liked the work of Video Magic, but they were twice the cost of STVS, and used the same cameras. The videos were very comparable, so for the lower price, we went with STVS. LP Video was also impressive, as was Pro One.
Cheers!
Heather W

Thanks for the info. I have a question for Heather. Can you give me a guesstimate what it would cost to have the same videographer you had? Also, did they start shooting before you were dressed and followed you and your groom around until the wedding? We're just trying to figure out who we should use. As much as it can be fun planning your wedding, it can also be a headache sometimes with all the decisions and choices. Thanks.

Hi! We got a 3 hour package from STVS, because we had an intimate wedding, and didn't need coverage for a full day. It was going to cost $500 for 3 hours of 2 camera coverage, then we added on an extra camera for a total of $600. Disney's price for 2 hours of coverage was $800, so we felt that the $600 was a pretty good deal, and a sign that STVS is very competitive with Disney's pricing.
Since it was a 3 hour package, Stan got to the pavilion when the groom did. He interviewed Andy before the ceremony, then came into the bride's vestibule and interviewed me. Our coverage went on throughout the ceremony, the after-ceremony photos, the cake cutting reception, and part of the afternoon tea, at which point we told Stan that we really didn't need him to stay any longer, since we were just eating and chatting :)
STVS made a great video for us - when we put it in the VCR, I started crying right away. It really is beautiful, and Stan and his wife Bonnie do a lovely job on the wedding day. They are very laid back and friendly. They're warm without intruding. Stan was joking with me a little bit before the ceremony, to keep me from crying and getting all puffy-eyed. They really are the best - I would highly recommend STVS!
Oh, and Stan has a Club 33 membership at Disneyland, and will make reservations for his brides there, if you're ever in CA.
Cheers!
Heather W

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter