Help with a Make A Wish trip

madscrapper

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I'm hoping to get some information here to help my friend. Her family is visiting WDW over the Easter holiday. She has 3 girls, 4,6 and 8. The youngest is battling brain cancer and since she is feeling very well now, they want visit WDW.

While I have visited many times, I know nothing about travelling with a sick child or about the Make-A-Wish foundation.

She has a local coordinator, but she is new and less than helpful. So, here are a few of her questions. If you can talk the time to answer them and add any tips, she and I would greatly appreciate your efforts.

1) She is reluctant to stay at the Make A Wish village because she wants her family to have as normal a vacation as possible and to try and forget about sickness for a while. Is this a valid concern...meaning, yes of course sick kids are there - hers included - but is the atmosphere there such that it doesn't feel like an outpatient cllinic??

2) She is under the impression that she will receive front of the line access for all attractions for the entire family. So she isn't too concerned about the crowds since she had been told they will not have to wait in any lines. True? I have tried to warn her about the crowds that week.

3) If the Make A Wish village is full, then she will receive lodging at WDW. Does anyone know if they have a particular set of hotels they usually use, or is it up to availability?

Thank you all for your time and help. Again, ANY information would be most appreciated.

Jeannine

madscrapper said:
1) She is reluctant to stay at the Make A Wish village because she wants her family to have as normal a vacation as possible and to try and forget about sickness for a while. Is this a valid concern...meaning, yes of course sick kids are there - hers included - but is the atmosphere there such that it doesn't feel like an outpatient cllinic??
Here's a link to a recent thread where someone basically had the same concernss. A number of visitors to GKTW village gave their perspective as families who had been there.
2) She is under the impression that she will receive front of the line access for all attractions for the entire family. So she isn't too concerned about the crowds since she had been told they will not have to wait in any lines. True? I have tried to warn her about the crowds that week.
Kids on Make a WISH trips do get front of the line access. That sometimes even means going in thru the exit. There are some things (like shows) where everyone waits, even with front of the line access, but their party will be treated well.
They do need to be aware that the large crowds at that time do make it harder to get around, even if they don't have to wait.
3) If the Make A Wish village is full, then she will receive lodging at WDW. Does anyone know if they have a particular set of hotels they usually use, or is it up to availability?
I don't know for sure, but the people who have posted about staying on MAW trips at one of the WDW resorts have mostly stayed in the deluxe resorts. I think it depends on availability and what resort atmosphere the WISH child would prefer.

If you want to send me a PM I can give you a little more info about a couple of questions. The village was great. They had so many activities. The food at the gingerbread house was pretty good, it is donated by perkins i think. We went in sept. I still have all the flyers that they leave for you everyday. they have parents night out. they give you an evening out at a restaurant and all the kids have activities and movies. give parents a chance to relax for a little while away from the kids.
The pizza delivery they have at the village is pretty good. The game rooms were great. there are a lot of special things that happen at the village.
anne

The GKTW Village is wonderful! It does not feel at all like an outpatient center. Our family had a wonderful time there!!! There are so many extra special touches there that make it it a special trip for the extra-special wish recipient (and their family!) :wizard:

Unless they have changed it (which it seems from others that have not), they will be able to enter rides/attractions at the front of the line. I have to admit this was a wonderful thing given that my sister's wish was in July!!!

I thought you might like to know that while working on the MK ferryboats (the big ones that travel ttc/mk), I've spoken with a ton of our wish kids and their families. Where they are staying always comes up in the conversation. 99 times out of 100 it's the Village. When I ask how they like it, the overwhelming response---

It's COOL!!!!!
:cool1: :banana: :cheer2: :love: :bounce: :flower: :sunny: :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter