Help with a December trip? Early entry or MaxPass?

monorailrabbit

Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
I am buying my first house this spring (OMG!! :dancer:) so we are thinking about changing our planned December trip. Originally, as my ticker indicates, we were planning to do Wilderness Lodge. We were so stoked about that, and maybe, just maybe, it will still work out. However, seeing as how we could do Land for a bit cheaper and we've never been to Land for Christmas, we are now thinking about changing coasts.

Here is my predicament. I was planning on staying at either DLH or Dessert Palms. Obviously with DP we save $ but won't get the early entry for each park day. We decided we just couldn't pass up DLH for the holidays and we love the early entry. However, when I went to book the package there was no option to add MP. I called and was told the only way to add MP was to piece meal everything. Buy the tickets and add MP, then do the hotels separate. If I do it this way, I loose the ability to be able to make payments towards a package, a big draw for us, but not make or break. The CM added I can always add MP when we get to the park, which I have done on previous trips, but she would be very surprised if the price was still at $10/person by December. Also, if I get tickets alone, I don't get the early mornings like I would with a package.

So at this point, what would you do? Piece meal it and get the MP but lose EE? Or package with EE and take a chance on MP prices going up?

Also, if I get tickets alone, I don't get the early mornings like I would with a package.
If you're staying at DLH you get early entry regardless of where your tickets come from. You just need a room key and a valid ticket for the day. I've only stayed at DLH once but I didn't get a package and I definitely used early entry.

ETA: Unless you mean that if you don't get the package you won't stay at DLH, then of course you would be giving up EMH. However if you do stay at DLH but you simply book the hotel separately from purchasing the tickets, you will still get early entry. So the only thing you will be giving up by not purchasing a package is the payment plan (I assume - I'm not really sure how those work).

Last edited:
If you're staying at DLH you get early entry regardless of where your tickets come from. You just need a room key and a valid ticket for the day. I've only stayed at DLH once but I didn't get a package and I definitely used early entry.

As Niltiac said, you get the early entry every day when staying at DLH! We always find booking hotel and tickets separately works out cheaper anyway. And then we have an extra (no fee) bank account set up for trips and put money in that leading up to the trip - kind of like putting money towards the package. Another benefit is a better cancellation policy for hotel alone than for a package - just in case your plans change (for example, one DS had a concussion one year and we had to reschedule a booked DL trip).

Congratulations on the house and on the Christmas DL trip!

Be careful about booking the tickets as part of a hotel package. You can play with the total package price with and without the tickets, but I've found that the package price of hotel + tickets is more expensive than buying them separately (both from Disney). For example, if you add a 5 day hopper to your hotel booking, the price goes up by $366, but they sell that same 5 day hopper for $350.

It’s funny, at WDW we always do a package. At DL we always do separate hotel and tickets. There is nothing like the resort for Christmas. If money allows, I would do the DLH.

You ABSOLUTELY get EE if you stay at DLH (or PP or GCH) no matter how you book. 100% ABSOLUTELY. Every single guest of the on-site hotels gets EE at DLR- just like at WDW! (And lots of people piece out DL because you can get good deals on tickets from 3rd parties but, like with a package, you can't add MP until you're at the park. Also, booking the hotel individually you only need to pay the deposit, the rest of the hotel cost is due at check-in.)

Okay so the issue is buying the tickets upfront and full right now to add the MaxPass and not waiting to buy them later on - as if you order them now you have to pay for the tickets and only a down payment on the hotel? I say either you come up with the $ or you take the risk of MP going up some in the next year. The EMH is yours regardless long as you are onsite. No matter who you buy your tickets from.

Hi! We were just there for 2 days using a park hopper so didn't have early entry but I have to sing the praises of Max Pass. I was amazed at how great it made our trip. Besides the convenience of getting your fast passes for either park on your phone without having to run around for them and having all your plans so accessible, we really love the Photo Pass which is something I've never tried before.

I would say go for both! :)

Oh super! I had no idea DLH gave us EE each day regardless!!! I thought it HAD to be bundled in a package with the tickets! THAT changes things!! Def will be buying the tickets now to lock in MP! Thanks everyone!!

I’d buy the tickets from last minute travel. A 5 day hopper is $50
Cheaper than dlr. it doesn’t include maxpass but I don’t think maxpass will be $50 more per ticket. You’d still
Save possibly $30.

I’d buy the tickets from last minute travel. A 5 day hopper is $50
Cheaper than dlr. it doesn’t include maxpass but I don’t think maxpass will be $50 more per ticket. You’d still
Save possibly $30.
I checked that site and they only have disneyland paris. Am I missing something?

Enjoy DL! If it's just for the EE, I would choose the less expensive hotel. EE and MM are overrated because everyone flocks to those parks regardless if they make it by 7.

Enjoy DL! If it's just for the EE, I would choose the less expensive hotel. EE and MM are overrated because everyone flocks to those parks regardless if they make it by 7.
While this can be true for the MM days at Disneyland, the value of EMH at DCA makes up for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter