HELP!! Which would you pick?

DisneyPlanner14

Earning My Ears
We are cruising on the Dream April 23-27. But we fly in Saturday night, the 21st. Initially we were going to stay off property and do Magic Kingdom all day on Sunday. But now I’m kind of thinking we will switch to Animal Kingdom Lodge and not go to the parks at all. Over all cost is nearly the same. I’ve always wanted to stay there and I would love the dayto explore the resort. But then I’m also pulled back the other direction thinking i can’t be that close to the parks and not go. Im so torn!! What would you do?

How are you getting to the port? That might factor into your decision. If you're using DCL transport from AK, then that's a no-brainer. If you're using it from the airport or using private transport/driving, then you have more options.

With prices being equal, this seems like a good chance to explore the resort. We booked All-Star last visit because we planned no time at the resort. I agree with your leaning that when you book an expensive resort you should take time to experience it.

We are cruising on the Dream April 23-27. But we fly in Saturday night, the 21st. Initially we were going to stay off property and do Magic Kingdom all day on Sunday. But now I’m kind of thinking we will switch to Animal Kingdom Lodge and not go to the parks at all. Over all cost is nearly the same. I’ve always wanted to stay there and I would love the dayto explore the resort. But then I’m also pulled back the other direction thinking i can’t be that close to the parks and not go. Im so torn!! What would you do?
How often do you get to go to MK? If you go a few times a year or more, then I'd do the resort day at AKL. If you don't get to go to MK often, then my vote is for the offsite stay and full day at MK.

AKL is a nice resort, but not worth missing a special day at Magic Kingdom if you don't often get the chance for that. It has two nice feature pools, and some animals on display. Beyond that it's really just a pretty hotel and there's not actually a lot to "explore" for its own sake.

My 2 cents is I'd spend the days at AKL to relax and enjoy prior to the cruise but if PP's mentioned MK is not a frequent visit, you'd need to weigh the importance and value of one over the other.

We normally now when cruising do not do the parks if a Disney resort prior b/c for us those days are marathon days trying to get as much in as possible in the parks at and the last thing I want to be on a cruise is exhausted from marathon days prior.

How are you getting to the port? That might factor into your decision. If you're using DCL transport from AK, then that's a no-brainer. If you're using it from the airport or using private transport/driving, then you have more options.

We are taking the DCL shuttle from the airport.

How often do you get to go to MK? If you go a few times a year or more, then I'd do the resort day at AKL. If you don't get to go to MK often, then my vote is for the offsite stay and full day at MK.

AKL is a nice resort, but not worth missing a special day at Magic Kingdom if you don't often get the chance for that. It has two nice feature pools, and some animals on display. Beyond that it's really just a pretty hotel and there's not actually a lot to "explore" for its own sake.

We don’t go too often. The last time we were in the parks was the first week in January 2017. Before that it was fall of 2014.

When we vacation we like to go, go, go. Taking a cruise will actually feel like a vacation to us! We aren’t lounge around the pool type of people if there are other things to be doing. I think i have decided to go to MK! My kids are still little so that is our favorite park. I can’t be that close and not go! Thank you for your input!

Can you see the animals without going to the resort (other than the rooms with the view of them)?

We have done this and thoroughly enjoyed it! If you can afford to do it, I would suggest having dinner at Sanaa, it was really great. Its at the AK DVC village.

I'd say MK and stay at whatever hotel you already have booked. In order to get from AKL to the airport for the Disney transport, you'd have to be up pretty early. As someone else said, if you think you'll have the energy after MK, have dinner at AKL and walk around after that.

AKL doesn't take a whole day to explore but it's a very nice resort with great restaurants and pool. :)

Unfortunately that isn’t an option for us. We set a budget before we plan a vacation and stick to it. We are a family of 5 so things add up quickly.
Yes, that would add up! MK would be more fun for kids, I think. You could always go to AKL to eat and see the animals. After dark they have night vision glasses you can use at the savannah viewing area.

I agree with those who say enjoy the resort. We stayed at VWL for 4 days before our January 2018 cruise and we had plenty to do without going to the parks. I debated back and forth about getting park tickets but in the end was happy with my decsion not too. You can change your airport pick up and have them pick you up at the resort instead. I felt like we arrived at the cruise terminal early enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter