Help weird seizure issue need advice recommendations

3DisneyNUTS

<font color=green>can't think of anything witty!<b
Hey guys....I have an issue which I was hoping to have resolved by now but unfortunately since Nov it has gotten worse.

Chris is having daily seizures sometimes their intensity is mild and he can "shake it off" other times they are really intense and he needs sleep to regroup. My concern is that while waiting in line he may have a seizure that he cannot "shake off" and we will have to leave the line to let him sleep it off.

Now he has global delays but in areas like social and adaptation he is doing fairly ok. Enough so that waiting in line isn't a big issue for us. We actually like giving him that experience so he can learn to wait his turn and teach him with patience is a reward. This is why I never asked for a GAC in the past.

My dilemna this time is that being the seizures come at sporadic times we may have been waiting 45 minutes in line and he gets hit with one. If it is intense he will have to leave the line. Being he wakes up remembering what he was doing prior to the seizure he may want to go back to the ride especially if it is his favorite like the BUZZ ride.

Is there a way we could get a GAC just for those instances? Not one that would allow us not to wait in line at all because that isn't the problem but one that would allow us to return and not wait a second time if he has a seizure while in line waiting?

It would definitely cause a meltdown if he had to wait a second time all over again. Also God forbid he has a second seizure while waiting the second time :( That would ruin everything for him as well as for us. This trip was scheduled to make up for the one in Nov where he got an ear infection during the cruise and was sick for WDW. We planned this one as a make up for what he missed only to have his seizures to get worse since NOV. Thankfully he is not photosensative or that would wreck most of the rides for him :(.

SO any suggestions? Should I under the circumstances just request a GAC explaining the situation and see what the CM have done for others with similar situations? Should I not chance even waiting in line just so we can assure that he won't have one while in line? ( He has any from 1-3 a day now. If he has 3 it is usually one intense and 2 smaller that he can "shake off" the intense ones are the ones that would cause an issue like I said above.

Thanks for reading :)

3DisneyNUTS said:
SO any suggestions? Should I under the circumstances just request a GAC explaining the situation and see what the CM have done for others with similar situations? Should I not chance even waiting in line just so we can assure that he won't have one while in line? ( He has any from 1-3 a day now. If he has 3 it is usually one intense and 2 smaller that he can "shake off" the intense ones are the ones that would cause an issue like I said above.

Thanks for reading :)
I'd suggest explaining your situation to the CMs in Guest Services and requesting a GAC. One of the things to think about is what you would do if he does have a seizure while in line. It would not be easy to get back out of the line if the seizure is a big one where he will have to rest after.
Alsao, many of the lines have bars to separate the queue into sections. If he doesn't have much warning for his seizures, those bars could be a danger. If you don't get a GAC, you could probably let the CM know why you are leaving and get a slip from the CM that would allow you to come back.

One of the other things you can do is use Fastpasses as much as possible. That will allow you to wait for 15 minutes or less. And, if he has a seizure while you are waiting for the fastpass time to arrive, you can come back any time after the time printed on the fastpass.

We've been lucky that DD has not had any seizures while in line or in the rides. She usually has between one and 3 seizures during a week long trip to WDW. The light in rides have never caused any problems for her. Although some rides have "sort of" strobe lights, but they are not on a consistent flicker like regular strobe lights.

I would definitely explain your situation to guest relations. Like Sue mentioned I would be concerned about the bars in the lines being of danger to him. Our dd#2 has seizures everyday several times a day. We have had times when our daughter has had a seizure while waiting in line and we had to leave. It is hard to back track through the lines and sometimes impossible. Most times you will have to tell a CM you are leaving and they can give you advice on what to do when you come back to ride. Hopefully none of that will be an issue and Chris will do great.

Thanks guys. I knew you would be a help :)

Chris has complex partials and normally he doesn't completely lose consiousness but he occassionally will lose his balance. I never thought of the bar issue. Thanks for bringing that up.

I think I will take both of yours advice! It is probably best to visit guest services and explain the situation to them. We are meeting my SIL and her kids there and one is exactly the same age as Chris and I would love for them to be together (we are hanging out with them for 2 days). I try to make Chris' world as unaffected as possible and previously the seizures were controlled or predictable. Now they are not as predictable and leave him in sleepy state 40% of the time. I know it would be unfair for the cousins to leave the line with him. I worry that this may affect the trip negatively. It is hard enough on him without it upsetting him at his favorite place in the world KWIM? He will not stop talking about going to "Di-knees!!!!" LOL

If I get a GAC will I have to get one for each park everyday or will one be good for our stay (6 days)?

3DisneyNUTS said:
If I get a GAC will I have to get one for each park everyday or will one be good for our stay (6 days)?
The GAC is normally issued for your entire length of stay. You can go to Guest Services in any of the parks and the GAC issued there will be valid for all the parks. If you go to one of the water parks, you will need to stop at Guest Services at the water park to find out what to do there (the park GAC is not used there).
GACs are usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability).The CMs can make exceptions, like if you have a party of 7, they will probably issue it for 7 (If you have a party of 10, probably it will just be for 6). There may be times where you will be asked to split into smaller groups because the waiting area or seating area is too small for larger numbers of people or it is already getting full with other special needs people.
Another thing you might want to think about is asking to have a GAC that allows a stroller to be used in line as a wheelchair. That way, if he has a seizure, you have a way to get him out of line without carrying him. It's also a "safe refuge" type place for a lot of kids with special needs who like to be at a distance from other people.

While I think having a "just in case" GAC is a good idea, also if you go to first aid for him to rest there and explain the situation to the nurses, I have seen them give out "head of the line" passes to children who missed an attraction and thus lost time ( the pass is meant to make up for lost time) for illness and injury. That way he won't have to wait again in line and should be able to make the connection as to why he's getting the pass- because he already waited once and shouldn't have to wait again. Kathy

Why not get a GAC and only use it if you need it? Just because you request one doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Just keep it with you and if the need arises, take advantage.

pennyring said:
Why not get a GAC and only use it if you need it? Just because you request one doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Just keep it with you and if the need arises, take advantage.
Agree.
We have a GAC for DD when go, but even during Spring Break (when it's super busy), we don't use it that often. We use it as insurance - nice to have when you need it, but not necessarily something to use all the time.

That's also a good idea about asking in First Aid. We have already gone there for DD to rest after having a seizure, but they never offered any kind of pass for us. WOuld be something to ask about, especially if you have already waited in line before the seizure occurred.

Thanks guys I am going to get the just in case GAC and see how it goes. We will have a stroller for him to sleep so we will not need to go to the nurse but if we do, I will let you know how that goes. Hopefully he will be able to forget about all the stress of this and have fun :) We are going at his pace and only hanging out wth Dh family for 2 days. God we need this trip.
Thanks so much for all the great advice :) You guys are an awesome resource hopefully I can repay the favor. I will definitely trip report when I get back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter