Help!! Was told we cant get into Hollywood studios.

patman2011

Mouseketeer
Wife and I and two daughters had a royal caribbean cruise set for Dec 13th through the 19th that got cancelled on us on Monday. We decided that we would do a last minute Disneyworld vacation instead. Booked a room at Swan for Dec 13th through 19th with 7 day passes to the parks. Called today to the Disney hotline because the My experience app was not taking our confirmation number. Got that all squared away but now have been told that Hollywood studios has no park passes for the whole week we are going. Uhhhhh.... Can 2020 just end already. Anyway, do we still have a shot at getting in there? How often do people drop their reservations? Do I just have to be on the site at the time they are doing it in order to get in? Any info you can give me on how this works would be appreciated.

I have been scoping out the reservation calendar for the last couple months. At one point, the week of Veteran’s Day in November had zero availability for HS, but dates have popped up in the last couple weeks. I would keep checking a few times a day. It seems as though the following scenarios may happen... people change their plans, Disney holds and releases availability, or they add more later. I know they have firmly stated they capacity is 25%, and I believe they honor that. Best of luck. Sorry this happened.

Last edited:
At this point I dont care what day we get in. I just want to get into the park to check out all the new stuff. Has been about 4 years since we went so all the star wars things and toy story is new to us. It would still be a good time but not getting in to see all that would be par for the course for this year. Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone decides to cancel and we can sneak in.

Wife and I and two daughters had a royal caribbean cruise set for Dec 13th through the 19th that got cancelled on us on Monday. We decided that we would do a last minute Disneyworld vacation instead. Booked a room at Swan for Dec 13th through 19th with 7 day passes to the parks. Called today to the Disney hotline because the My experience app was not taking our confirmation number. Got that all squared away but now have been told that Hollywood studios has no park passes for the whole week we are going. Uhhhhh.... Can 2020 just end already. Anyway, do we still have a shot at getting in there? How often do people drop their reservations? Do I just have to be on the site at the time they are doing it in order to get in? Any info you can give me on how this works would be appreciated.

The entire month of December is full for HS. But for November they did apparently add more availability recently, so maybe they will do that for December. I expect a lot of people will be making cancellations, even up to the day prior (due to the Rise of the Resistance ride virtual boarding procedures) so keep checking.

Why would they cancel the park passes because of the Rise of the Ristance ride? Sorry, like I said I have not been to DW in almost 4 years and totally out of the loop as far as what is going on with rides. Are people not able to get onto the ride so they cancel the passes for the park?

Why would they cancel the park passes because of the Rise of the Ristance ride? Sorry, like I said I have not been to DW in almost 4 years and totally out of the loop as far as what is going on with rides. Are people not able to get onto the ride so they cancel the passes for the park?

You have to get a virtual boarding group for that ride. People are booking multiple days of their trip at HS to ensure they can go back if they don't get one on a particular day, but then cancel if they do get one and choose a different park. They just changed the procedure. Before, you had to be in the park to try for the morning group. Now you don't have to be in the park, and the first drop is at 7am, so if people don't get one, they could still potentially drop their HS reservation for another park. So really you should check the morning of (after 7am) to see if there is availability if you really want to go. There is a whole thread dedicated to the ROTR boarding group procedure so I won't go into it here.

People are booking multiple days of their trip at HS to ensure they can go back if they don't get one on a particular day, but then cancel if they do get one and choose a different park. They just changed the procedure. Before, you had to be in the park to try for the morning group. Now you don't have to be in the park, and the first drop is at 7am, so if people don't get one, they could still potentially drop their HS reservation for another park.

Seriously? I'm sorry but that's just disgusting.

Seriously? I'm sorry but that's just disgusting.

People have actually been doing it all along anyway. Booking HS for every day of their trip, and going until they get a BG, then change the rest of their days to another park. That's why when you look at the availability calendar, HS is almost always the one park sold out (for example, the December calendar - HS was full every day even before the change, but not the other parks).

People have actually been doing it all along anyway. Booking HS for every day of their trip, and going until they get a BG, then change the rest of their days to another park. That's why when you look at the availability calendar, HS is almost always the one park sold out (for example, the December calendar - HS was full every day even before the change, but not the other parks).

Yea, maybe a few people might do something like this but I gota believe its pretty rare. For one, if they book all HS and then try to change after they get boarding group they miss the 24hr window and will still have to go back to HS the next day and then risk the other parks being booked out. Also, with no park hopping they wouldn't be able to book and ADR's in any of the other parks. U literally wouldn't be able to plan or book anything but HS pretty much for the whole trip. I guess there are some that only want to visit HS the whole vacation and willing to get stuck at HS only but I think most people aren't going to spend $1000's just to ride ROR only and risk the chance they can't change parks or book dining.

Yea, maybe a few people might do something like this but I gota believe its pretty rare. For one, if they book all HS and then try to change after they get boarding group they miss the 24hr window and will still have to go back to HS the next day and then risk the other parks being booked out. Also, with no park hopping they wouldn't be able to book and ADR's in any of the other parks. U literally wouldn't be able to plan or book anything but HS pretty much for the whole trip. I guess there are some that only want to visit HS the whole vacation and willing to get stuck at HS only but I think most people aren't going to spend $1000's just to ride ROR only and risk the chance they can't change parks or book dining.

I agree, while there might be some outliers of people doing crazy things, families that are travelling hundreds or thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars are not engaging in this type of behavior. They pick their park and do that park that day.

What do you mean by miss the 24hr window? You can change your park reservation at anytime, assuming you haven't already entered a park that day, and can change the park for the next day at anytime. They would not have to go to HS, unless the other 3 parks are booked full (and even then parks open up all the time as people cancel throughout the day).

You can make a dining reservation for any park; you don't have to have a park reservation for it.

I do agree that it's not the majority booking multiple days at HS but many do. I'm not sure it makes a huge impact, though day-of HS reservations pop up a lot which means someone is :)

I would keep checking. Our plans changed because of a cancelled cruise, too. Monday I only had tickets for one person in our party, so I grabbed a DHS for them. But Wed, when I had everyone else's tickets, they were gone. But, amazingly on Thursday morning, there was availability again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter