Help! Want adult time but my 6-yr-old doesn't like going to Kids' clubs by herself!

Riggsy

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We took her on Dream previously, for a three-night, and we all had a good time, but the longest she would stay in Kids' Club was about 3 hours, and it went down from that. She's a bit shy, so she tends to be off on her own. I know the CMs probably do their best to include her, but it doesn't seem to work. However, she is actually pretty good about making friends, so it would be awesome if she made friends she could go to the clubs with! Any suggestions on how to facilitate a friendship the first day? We're trying a five day cruise this time, leaving on Halloween! Can't wait :yay:

We took her on Dream previously, for a three-night, and we all had a good time, but the longest she would stay in Kids' Club was about 3 hours, and it went down from that. She's a bit shy, so she tends to be off on her own. I know the CMs probably do their best to include her, but it doesn't seem to work. However, she is actually pretty good about making friends, so it would be awesome if she made friends she could go to the clubs with! Any suggestions on how to facilitate a friendship the first day? We're trying a five day cruise this time, leaving on Halloween! Can't wait :yay:

How about asking over on your cruise meet? See if anyone there has a child in the same age group, that you/she can communicate with via the internet before the cruise. Then maybe she'll be so excited to actually meet her new friend and play together that you'll get that alone time.

Honestly, I think a 3-hour chunk of time at the Club/Lab is pretty good. DD doesn't typically do much more than 2 hours at a time, longest is probably 3.

You might try posting on your cruise meet thread, and see if there is anyone else with a child of similar age. They can become "friends" before even boarding the ship, and maybe would enjoy longer periods at the Club together.

Enjoy your cruise!

Haven't looked at the Cruise Meets before, will try that!!

Aside from your meet group, how about table mates? When I did cruises as a kid, me and the other kid(s) ended up hanging out a lot. Obviously it won't be right away but you can set up a 'play date' with them by suggesting it at dinner the first night. 'Hey, why don't you guys go explore the club tomorrow after breakfast?' Worth a shot.

That could work too, depending on who we end up with. It would seem they would try to match families though...

Thanks!

I tell my son that since he is not at school, that the kid's club is required :) I make it sound like it's the school's fault hehehehehe. We never had him go for more than 2 hours at a time or so. Agree on the cruise meet idea though.

Agree with everyone else, try to meet someone beforehand or try to help her meet a new friend on the first day/night.

Honestly, I think 3 hours is pretty good for a 6yo. I'm not sure if our 9yo spent that much time in the club on our cruise last year. We were hoping she would be having a blast, meet a lot of friends, and want to stay for larger chunks of time. It did not happen, so I feel for you. She met one friend she really liked but that girl was sailing with her cousins, so she had activities with the cousins and wasn't available to play with our DD in the club that often. We were on a 7nt and DH and I wanted a lot more adult time than we actually got.

Good luck!

I would not be beyond bribing to get her to stay for specified periods of time too.

But I agree that a 3 hours stretch is pretty long.

I agree that. 3 hrs is too long for a kid like her. Quiet, shy, etc. Sounds miserable. I'd start out with shorter increments maybe twice a day. I do 1.5-2 hrs at a time at most twice a day. Usually once. If it's once it may be 2. Maybe once or twice I've done 3-3.5 when I had brunch and then wanted to hit the rainforest room for a bit. He LOVES the club though. I just don't feel right leaving him for a long time. You got 3 hrs out if her! I'd call that success!

3 hours would be a win in my book too! My 5 year old loves to go to the clubs, but in short bursts. He will spend an hour or so - get bored and then after we pick him up he will want to go back an hour later. The CMs will call the minute the child asks to leave - unless you put a note when you drop them off that you will be doing something. Then they try not to page you unless it is a must (say if you are going to Palo or Remy or just need an hour alone!!)

Also, when they do page you to pick up your child you can always call them There was a time we were in the middle of a tasting - we called and they told us our boy was already involved in another activity and didn't need to be picked up. If you were to call and see if she could be persuaded to stay longer I am sure the CM's would try their best to make her want to stay

You also might want to take a look at some navigators from previous cruises with your same itinerary. See if there are any activities in the club that would specifically appeal to her (cupcake making, wacky science, etc.) and then talk those up before the cruise. Think about scheduling any adult time when there are guided activities going on in the club, rather than just during times when they typically have only free play in there.

My daughter is 13 now, still super shy, but this is how I got her to try the clubs originally. She couldn't resist the idea of some of the stuff they were going to do and ended up wanting to check it out.

Great suggestions everyone, thank you so much!

Bring a friend from home on the cruise with you? A cousin? Cost more money, but just a wild thought

I tell my son that since he is not at school, that the kid's club is required :) I make it sound like it's the school's fault hehehehehe. We never had him go for more than 2 hours at a time or so. Agree on the cruise meet idea though.

That is so sick and twisted, I LOVE IT! You've got my vote for parents of the year, can't stop laughing.

Bring a friend from home on the cruise with you? A cousin? Cost more money, but just a wild thought

Actually considered that, but we are in a Navigator's Verandah room that only sleeps 3. Also, pretty sure her friend's parents wouldn't let her come. I'm the only crazy one that believes in taking my kids out of school for Disney! But thanks for the suggestion~

Actually considered that, but we are in a Navigator's Verandah room that only sleeps 3. Also, pretty sure her friend's parents wouldn't let her come. I'm the only crazy one that believes in taking my kids out of school for Disney! But thanks for the suggestion~

It was your first cruise. When you go again she will e more used to it and do better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter