Help us choose our Anniversary Adult-Only Resort during the Holidays :)

Missin'Disney

DIS Veteran
OK my fellow Obsessive WDW Planners: I could really use some input.

Hubby and me are taking our first ever No Kids trip to WDW for 3 nights, 3 days in December to celebrate our Anniversary. We have been going about every 9 or 10 months and have stayed at some great resorts (Poly, GF, CBR, WL (3x cause we loved it so much), POP and the Contemporary) Now we would like to stay somewhere we haven't stayed, for the novelty of it, but also somewhere romantic, and of course, since it will be during the Holidays, we are really looking forward to enjoying WDW and the Resorts in their Holiday splendor. Availability will also play a role, and so far choices include:

POR (seems very romantic)
POFQ (like that it's compact)
CSR (have been here by myself, didn't love the theming, but love that Queen bed)
BWI (tempted to splurge to have walking access to Epcot as well as proximity to DHS and the Boardwalk, which we have NEVER seen!)
All-Stars (love to save money, but can't think of any other good reason to try these.)

So, if anybody has read this far and has any input, I'd really love to hear it! :goodvibes

Thanks in advance! :disrocks:

Have you considered the Animal Kingdom Lodge? DH and I stayed there for our 20th anniv. during the holidays and enjoyed it. They had beautiful Christmas Decorations up and we enjoyed sitting by the fire in the evening. Where else other than Africa, can you wake up to wild animals outside your room? It was very romantic. :love:

yeah, I saw AKL.......when I read the list of your previous stays at Disney and it wasn't on the list, I DEFINITELY thought that.....there are so many things to enjoy there.....this past trip (when we weren't staying there), we went to Boma and then ended up sticking around the hotel looking at all the animals and ambiance for 30-45 min after we were done.......a great thing is the animals move, so the scenery is always changing! haha

its so awesome....

OK my fellow Obsessive WDW Planners: I could really use some input.

Hubby and me are taking our first ever No Kids trip to WDW for 3 nights, 3 days in December to celebrate our Anniversary. We have been going about every 9 or 10 months and have stayed at some great resorts (Poly, GF, CBR, WL (3x cause we loved it so much), POP and the Contemporary) Now we would like to stay somewhere we haven't stayed, for the novelty of it, but also somewhere romantic, and of course, since it will be during the Holidays, we are really looking forward to enjoying WDW and the Resorts in their Holiday splendor. Availability will also play a role, and so far choices include:

POR (seems very romantic)
POFQ (like that it's compact)
CSR (have been here by myself, didn't love the theming, but love that Queen bed)
BWI (tempted to splurge to have walking access to Epcot as well as proximity to DHS and the Boardwalk, which we have NEVER seen!)
All-Stars (love to save money, but can't think of any other good reason to try these.)

So, if anybody has read this far and has any input, I'd really love to hear it! :goodvibes

Thanks in advance! :disrocks:

If you are looking for the Christmas spirit and Romance I would choose the WL even though you have already been, have you seen it at Christmas time? its awesome and breathtaking but the BW is beautiful as well and it is close to everything in the Epcot area. You might consider splurging and staying at the Contemporary you can get a room on the MK side and have the Castle, decorated in ice, at your whim. Plus, the California grill is probably one of the most romantic restaurants on site.
I would go to the DVC-Rent/Trade section of the Disboards site and rent points to stay in the Bay Lake Tower section of the Contemporary, its brand new and perfect for a couples romantic stay.
Have Fun, whatever you decide!!
pirate:pirate:

Hey again :yay: OP here.

Well, AKL is actually high up on our list of "to do's" but I wanted to save it for when the kids come with us.....know they will love it. Another thing is that since we have 3 kids, we are limited to Deluxes now, with a few exceptions, so I thought it would be better to try something we won't be able to do with the kids, since they will be with us on every other trip.

The point rental idea is awesome, but I'm actually a TA and get 50% off my rooms, so it wouldn't really pay for me to rent (especially cause we are going over the weekend).

I have heard how amazing WL at Christmas, and it's very tempting, but I'm really trying to break out of my WL-mold - I would be happy to stay there every trip, but I really am trying to stay at all the resorts eventually, so I've gotta make the rounds!

Please keep the great input coming guys :thumbsup2

If it were me, I would go with BW. As you mentioned, its great being able to walk into 2 parks, especially since you may spend more time than usual in Epcot without the kids. Hey, the grey goose slushie in France is that good:lmao:

In addition to the location though, you may find it perfect again because of no kids. Jellyrolls is a great night spot, and definitely worth checking out for an adult night out. The resort has a lot of life at night, and thats what I love about it. We are a couple with no kids, and we stay at BW almost every vist for this very reason:thumbsup2

My recommendation would be an Epcot resort...I think you would have alot of great meals at Ecpot and its a wonderful location. I would try for YC...I haven't tried that resort yet but walked around...I see its more adult more feel than BC...I would like to stay there next year.

I loved BWI. Here's the thing that my parents hated-- there is no quick service dining option. Sure there are the boardwalk places to eat, but they are often busy because a lot of people choose to eat at the boardwalk. There's no food court or anything. I didn't see it as a huge problem, I loved the atmosphere there.

Also, Port Orleans is beautiful. I wouldn't recommend the All Stars for an adults only trip-- they are not super relaxing, in my opinion atleast. I would say stay at the BC/YC with your kids-- stormalong bay is an amazing pool!

If it were me, I would go with BW. As you mentioned, its great being able to walk into 2 parks, especially since you may spend more time than usual in Epcot without the kids. Hey, the grey goose slushie in France is that good:lmao:

In addition to the location though, you may find it perfect again because of no kids. Jellyrolls is a great night spot, and definitely worth checking out for an adult night out. The resort has a lot of life at night, and thats what I love about it. We are a couple with no kids, and we stay at BW almost every vist for this very reason:thumbsup2

I agree...BWI!!! For me, an ideal adults-only trip would be to stay at YC/BC or BWI. And then you can stumble back to your resort after drinking your way around the World Showcase!

Even on our honeymoon when we stayed at WL, we seemed to end every evening in the WS even after spending the day at another park. It is just a nice place to end the evening.

I like the look of POFQ for romance. POR too, but it's bigger and less intimate. I don't know how they decorate for the holidays, but I like that they do carriage rides and you are very handy to DTD. My aunt and her fiance are going there on their honeymoon next month.

Well, what about a room at Bay Lake Towers? You could rent DVC points, so it wouldn't be as expensive - then book a room overlooking the castle, very romantic! I see you have a quite a few moderates on your list too, have you considered The Dolphin or the Swan? They offer competive rates, and from what I have read, they offer really great bedding:lovestruc! Since your not bringing the kids, it might be a good time to give one of them a try, and you will still have easy access to the Epcot area. Keep us posted with your decision!

You guys are really giving me some food for thought.

Thank you so much to everybody who has taken the time to respond.

I wish my budget was not such a concern b/c then I wouldn't be having such "decision dilemnas"

Unfortunately the only moderate that my agent discount is available with during my travel dates is CSR. I just don't know if the whole Southwestern them is gonna mesh well with the Holiday theming and the Anniversary vibe.

I also can't get AKL, WL or Contemporary so those are out.

Part of me wants to do BWI, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost. Yes, even with my discount. (hey! I'm a frugal gal these days :rolleyes1)

I could do All-Stars for almost 4 nights for the cost of 1 night at BWI. It's very tempting, but then I remember that I don't want to stay there :rotfl:

I'm so torn over this, I thought about it all night as I lay sleepless in bed, and then awoke to check what my DISfriends had chimed in overnight. So to all of you who took the time to respond, thanks.

And the deliberation continues........

DH and I booked AKL for our anniversary this year. $139 a night standard view. WL was booked so we decided to try something new as well. Our anniversary is Dec 4 so it ought to be really nice. It's only for 2 nights b/c I can't get away longer and money is really tight as well. My family loves AKL and knows we're going to have a great time. We did POFQ last year and while we love the resort we had a bad experience. DH got food poisoning our last night there and had to be rushed to the ER. I haven't been back to that resort since. I guess I'm just paranoid now. But the price was right this year so we're going to do AKL for a change.

OK, based on the "romance" and "adult only" aspect, I totally don't recommend the Value resorts. If you are looking for a budget minded vacation, not spending much time at all at your resort, then go with the Values.

I think BWI or YC (depending on which theme you like better) would be the ones to go for, based on what you've said is available and where you haven't stayed yet.

My DH & I are taking our first couple-only trip in January. We opted for ASSp and here's why.

Not having a huge bank account, we picked and chose what we felt would be important for this trip. We felt a smaller room without a lot of amenities would be fine. We have stayed value in the past and know what the resorts are like. We felt we would rather take our money and do a couple more romantic restaurants that aren't on the DDP (like Bistro de Paris & Bongos at DTD) and we hope to book an Illuminations Cruise.

I'm sure we'll have a romantic time. It's the time away together that matters :)

From your list of resorts, I would choose POR for the most Romantic.
I'd request the Mansion section and take a horse drawn carrige ride.
You can take a boat ride to DTD.
Plus POR has the best Food court, lots of good fresh choices.
You can even head over to POFQ and eat beignets in the morning
with coffee. POR is my Favorite Mod.

We're doing our first adult only trip this Nov/Dec for our 25th wedding anniversary also!!!! If money wasn't an option, I'd pick BWI. That being said we're staying at POP, yes a value. Money is an issue here as the DH is in construction and business is horrible here (he's self-employed and we probably shouldn't be going but we deserve it, I think). I'd love to stay at a deluxe but I'm just happy we're going on a trip. In my mind I'll be at a deluxe. :rotfl2: Have fun deciding and ENJOY your trip. Happy Anniversary also.

BWI. You mentioned that this is an anniversary trip. Splurge a little and definitely stay at a deluxe. I know you mentioned that with a family of five you are limited to the deluxes, but really your anniversary trip should be special.

The location of this resort can't be beat and I think it has so much to offer- regardless of whether it's the holidays or not. Good luck with your decision. :)

Thanks guys....I guess I've pretty much ruled out the All-Stars. I knew I could count on you guys to help me spend my money :lmao:

I'll keep you all posted though!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter