• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help us choose a new place to stay

zachsmomie

Mouseketeer
We are planning a short trip to Disney from May 2-6 to celebrate my son's 10th birthday. It was a very last minute spur of the moment decision that he knows nothing about. Guess where we are booked? PO-FQ I want to be prepared when they call since the Poly is the only other resort we have ever stayed at ( 2yrs ago as part of land/sea). I hear there is a big difference between deluxe and moderate. Is this true? Do we go for Coranado Springs or , if offered, upgrade to Boardwalk or Poly? Should we try a resort that is new to us or go with the Poly we so enjoyed? HELP! I want to be prepared when they call.

As it looks at the moment, and I'm basing this on only what I've read, you'll be offered another moderate. We've stayed at POR and really liked it. If that doesn't appeal to you, then I would go with CBR. That was our next choice but dh didn't want to do food courts anymore so we booked WL. I wouldn't count on them offering an upgrade to a deluxe at this time. You might get lucky but I'd be ready to choose another moderate.

However, if you do happen to get offered an upgrade to a deluxe for about $30 more per night, as one poster has reported, then I would say do it! You will never get a deluxe at that rate again! As far as where to stay, I'm always up for trying new places at WDW. And as for the differences between a moderate and deluxe resort, there are differences, like deluxes have balconies, but moderates do not (you enter room from outside), but I think the differences between a moderate and deluxe are less than the differences between a value & moderate, if that helps at all.

zachsmomie-I think you are wise to research the other resort options. As I stated in my PO closing info thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=353419, the CM I spoke with said that you can make a lateral move to another moderate and pay the same rate you were going to pay for POFQ. They are currently working on different upgrade offers and will be contacting those with ressies to give you your options when they have that info available. Although there are many rumors flying about different resort availability (including some that are mentioned in my thread--she mentioned these specific resorts to me) she also said that nothing was set as of yesterday morning.

The best thing to do is probably research all the options and see what you think. Check out the other mods and see if the theming, amenities and size of the resorts are something you are interested in and decide if there is one or the other that you like better. It *seemed*, again from what was said, that POR was not something they would be offering, but who knows???

I am making a list of resorts that I am interested in and will have it nearby for when my calls comes. I'm checking out room locations in different resorts as we have some specific requests we need to make for medical reasons. If you have specific needs (N/S room, certain bed type, etc..) make sure that those are addressed when the call comes.

I hope this helps--I can't give you specific advice about resorts because that is so personal but I would definitely do your homework so you can make the best choice for your family.

HTH!

Excluding the WL and AKL, the main differance (IMHO) between a Moderate and a Deluxe is location and transportation options. If you are use to the transportation and/or location of the Poly, then you won't be satisfied with PO. As for the resort it is very nice, just like all the Moderates.

We only stay in a Moderate if we can't get a good discount code at a deluxe. Either way, you'll be at WDW, and it'll be great.

Hi Zachsmomie!
My family will be down in Disney the same time as you. I let my 9 year old son(also named Zach) look at all the photos on the websites(of the resorts we could afford) and loved the the way the pool looked at CSR and he also likes the whole animal thing at AKL. Since we will be there 6 nights, we are splitting our stay between the two.

No matter what you choose, your son is going to have the best birthday!!!!!!

If you can get an upgrade to a deluxe then do it! ;) Especially if you could get YC/BC because I'm sure your son would love Stormalong Bay. Even AKL would be awesome... he'd probably love seeing all the animals. :)

If you decide to take a moderate I'd go for CBR. :)

I would angle for an upgrade to WL - if staying with moderates go with POR as it is the closest theme to POFQ

thanks
Jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter