• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help support equality...

Thanks for the list.

So - In support I'll take Dec 10th off (not much of a "statement" I'm self employed) and hang out drinking Coors. It's the least I can do for the cause. :goodvibes :goodvibes

Sorry, but "calling in gay" makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.. If anything, I think it would just anger ones employer.. Smacks of high school "Skip Day" - rather childish behavior for grown adults..

Supporting gay establishments? Great idea.. "Calling in gay" - not so great..

Protest is an absolutely fine idea. But I don't think you're going to get too many people skipping work for the protest. I work for the federal government - they are not going to give anybody an excused absence for "calling in gay" and it's a blot on your record to be put on leave without pay. (On a personal note my annual leave is already accounted for by a trip to Australia)

If it's possible to find out which businesses in any given town are "gay friendly," that part might actually work. But I have no idea and I'm in a major urban area.

Help me out with something I CAN do...I don't need any shoes, Coors beer or more airline tickets, and none of the copiers we have at work are from Xerox..

Wanting free healthcare is a bit different than wanting the right to be able to see my partner of 7 years should he be put in the hospital. It's a lot different than a couple being together for 35 years and one person being left with nothing when the other dies because they don't get any of the legal rights of married people.

In the 60's, when states made inter-racial marriage illegal, many people were forced to move to other states to get married, or they would get arrested. It wasn't until Loving vs Virginia in 1967 that all states were forced to allow people of different races to marry. All we can hope for is to spread awareness and hope for a similar situation.

I know it's different, which is all the more reason to blow off someone saying that you should deal with it, and just move. Besides being a lame argument, no one has that kind of authority over you. But with illegal immigrants, who have fewer civil rights than you do, other people do have that authority - this is part of the idea behind A Day Without a Mexican. The plan just does not automatically lend itself to gay rights issues...but whatever. It's done, hope it works out for you.

Since you brought it up, we are in a similar situation, only you can't get married, and I won't. I've been married before and it's not something I wish on other people, no matter how willing they are. ;)

Since you brought it up, we are in a similar situation, only you can't get married, and I won't. I've been married before and it's not something I wish on other people, no matter how willing they are. ;)

I'm not going to get in to the whole 'calling in gay day' because I honestly don't know how I feel about that but I have to say that I don't think you and David are in a similar situation at all regarding marriage.

You have the right to choose not to get married again. David doesn't have the right to marry the person he chooses to.

Help me out with something I CAN do...I don't need any shoes, Coors beer or more airline tickets, and none of the copiers we have at work are from Xerox..

Check out www.gayfriendlyamerica.com

Also, most major urban areas have GLBT newspapers/newsletters that would have advertisements from gay owned/operated resorts. The Central Florida area has www.watermarkonline.com for example :thumbsup2

I'm not going to get in to the whole 'calling in gay day' because I honestly don't know how I feel about that but I have to say that I don't think you and David are in a similar situation at all regarding marriage.

You have the right to choose not to get married again. David doesn't have the right to marry the person he chooses to.

No argument from me, but in practice it's the same thing.

No argument from me, but in practice it's the same thing.

It's not the same thing. I made the same choice you did. It's still a choice. For them it's not a choice, they have no other option (Connecticut and Massachusetts aside). Being unattached is possibly going to cause me many problems down the road, but I was able to make the decision that I'll just accept that.

I agree the unmarried are not generally treated as fairly because society promotes marriage, but there is a difference between unmarried by choice and banned from marriage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter