HELP!! Should we drive or fly?

jdads2

Squirrelly as all heck
We were lucky our first two trips to WDW. On our first, last October, I paid $560.00 for 5 non-stop r/t tickets from Buffalo, NY to MCO (tickets were purchased prior to the attacks so that didn't affect the price). On the second, I paid $220.00 for 2 non-stop r/t tickets (purchased after 9/11). The cheapest fare so far is a whopping $210.00 each. That's with 1 stop on the way down, n/s on the way back.

Should we drive the 22 hrs from Buffalo? I'll rent the DVD player for the car. We plan on getting to Orlando 1 day earlier and spending it at a cheaper hotel off grounds and recoup after the long trip. Spend time in the pool, get a good nights sleep and then head to WDW and our stay at AKL the next morning ready to hit the parks.

Kids are 11, 8 and 5. We have taken road trips before but this will be the longest by far.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

When are you planning on travelling? Is it still a ways off in the future? There may be a chance of the airfare coming down.. We had planned on driving, I scheduled the time off, make reservations, etc., but I continued to check the airlines prices.. When we found 135.00 R/T airfare we jumped on that and shelved the driving.. I mean, if you are planning on going anyway, and have the time to keep searching, just plan on driving but keep your options open...

Airfare for 5 people can really add up but be sure to consider all aspects of the costs to drive down. Use of extra vacation days, extra hotel costs, extra eating out costs for those days, fuel, wear & tear on the family vehicle, etc.
THEN decide if it is worth it.

We are leavinge on Sept. 28. We have the option to leave earlier if need be. Both of us have plenty of vacation time available. I check the air prices every couple of days. We plan on driving straight down, no stopping except to use the facilities and a quick snack.

It depends on how your kids do on road trips. We drove one hour to my niece's confirmation and my 7 year old was whining "are we there yet? Are we close?" And I have one younger. I am hoping in a year or two we can drive, since we also have 3 kids and routinely spend around $1000 for airfare--except for last December when I found tickets for $135 post-attack.
Robin M.

I just checked Travelocity for a BUF to MCO trip on 9/28 returning on 10/5... I didn't know your return date.. I am being quoted 184.50 R/T on Northwest.. Maybe if you play with your departure or arrival dates a little bit you will be able to come down from the 210.00 that you were originally quoted?

I'm kinda in the same quandry as jdads. We have two SW Rapid Rewards vouchers, but there will be 6 of us (me, DH, 2DD, DS and mom). There is a possibility that we'll earn two more vouchers before we go, however, we'll still need to pay for two more flights at around $215 each, PLUS either a van rental or roundtrip transportation (I think yourride is around $100 for van round trip transportation). So either way, we'll probably still spend around the same amount...but ONLY if we luck out and get two more vouchers. There's no way 4 airfares, ground transportation would come out less that driving from San Antonio. Even the one night we plan on spending on the way up there and back will be at a budget motel for around 50 bucks a night.

jdads, unless you find unheard of deals on airfare (like last year), I would just plan on driving. Of course, 107 days from now you may find me a in a straight jacket being carted off by men wearing white....

Nonetheless, it'll make for an interesting trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter