Help please? First time in 15yrs no Disney. Flying to Miami. Ideas for family holiday in Southern FL

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Hi guys, this is a huge change for us, for the first time in about 15 years we have decided to try a different part of Florida this summer.

We have been to many, many parts of northern and central Florida from a Disney base. However, we thought this year we would venture further south and so booked flights to Miami. But that’s kind of where we have got stuck. We want it to be an enjoyable family holiday, but more laid back than we are used to with Disney but still plenty to do for the kids?

We would love to hear any personal recommendations for locations either for a split stay or for the two weeks.

Everything is an option at the moment so would welcome all suggestions
regular_smile.gif

Places to stay. Eat. Visit. Unmissable views. Attractions. Anything at all we would love to hear your views and ideas.

Thanks

Razster

Last edited:
How old are your kids?
Rent a house in the keys?
Charter a boat for the week a d explore the intercoastal?

Google "Miami for tourists" or similar.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. As you might imagine we’ve done this and the options are pretty extensive. We were hoping for personal recommendations from experience to help us narrow down the southern part of the state.

How old are your kids?
Rent a house in the keys?
Charter a boat for the week a d explore the intercoastal?

Thanks for replying. Our kids are 2nd and 8th grade. Chartering a boat sounds exciting!

We weren’t sure if the keys would be too sedentary?

DH and I spent 5 days on Islamorada (mid-Keys) 3 years ago, and we LOVED it. We were definitely sedentary, but that's what we were looking for. In our travels, there was lots to do (State Parks, boat tours, kayaking, snorkeling, boat rentals, fishing trips, etc). We did make the drive down to Key West one day, and quite enjoyed that as well (people watching is spectacular!).

DH and I spent 5 days on Islamorada (mid-Keys) 3 years ago, and we LOVED it. We were definitely sedentary, but that's what we were looking for. In our travels, there was lots to do (State Parks, boat tours, kayaking, snorkeling, boat rentals, fishing trips, etc). We did make the drive down to Key West one day, and quite enjoyed that as well (people watching is spectacular!).

We really like the idea of a more laid back vacation. But at same time just concerned such a step down to ‘island life’ type pace from year in year out full on Disney world, may be quite a culture shock for the kids. But equally I think we will all gain a lot from seeing another side to FL.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. As you might imagine we’ve done this and the options are pretty extensive. We were hoping for personal recommendations from experience to help us narrow down the southern part of the state.
Providing this information, as well as more specific questions based on one's own research, would have been helpful.

Maybe I’m jaded because I used to live there but, I just don’t think of Miami as a destination for kids. I agree with the Upper Keys. Not as far of a drive as to Key West, good snorkeling and kayaking, find a nice pool... you could do a day in the Everglades in the way down.

Maybe I’m jaded because I used to live there but, I just don’t think of Miami as a destination for kids. I agree with the Upper Keys. Not as far of a drive as to Key West, good snorkeling and kayaking, find a nice pool... you could do a day in the Everglades in the way down.
I agree with you about the children and thought the same. Miami is a fun place but I don't see it as a place much for children.

Hi all thanks for the responses. Miami is certainly not the area we would look to stay. It’s just that we are flying from London UK and the direct flights to Miami were less than half the price than to any other of the airports. Grateful for all the suggestions you’ve made so far.

Have you considered a hotel/house/condo rental in Naples or Marco Island area? beautiful beaches, tons of ..all types of shopping ( malls,boutiques, up scale, ) it’s for beach goers,foodies ( there are tons of restaurants at all price points) check out fifth avenue Naples, Mercato, Waterside...culture... Artis Naples, think live theaters, typical theaters as well, Zoo, water park, fishing, kayaking, airboat rides, fishing excursions, shell hunting, botanical gardens, rookery bay options are endless, rentals: bikes, segways, boats, jet skis.. honestly the list is endless
Google it and you may be amazed. Its an area that has something for everyone ..at all ages. Simply Paradise.
You’d be easily driving ur car from Miami and basically come straight across on Alligator Alley 1.5 hours to the west coast. Maybe see Miami/ft Lauderdale area and then come across.
Wherever you decide, enjoy and safe travels!

Hawks Cay Resort, Duck Key... we stayed here a few years ago. Our kids were teens so were old enough to wander around as a group, but they have a kids club and area that looked fantastic, many different types of accommodations, pools, boats to rent. It was an amazing place!

Years ago we stayed at Disney DVC Vero Beach. Loved that too.

I have only been in that area for a day before cruising and did the airboat tour as someone else mentioned.

We were thinking of taking a week-long trip to the Miami and Keys area and some of the attractions we were thinking of doing were:
Monkey Jungle https://www.monkeyjungle.com
Duck Tour (and if you aren't familiar with a duck tour don't discount it before clicking the link thinking you see duck animals. It's a boat/land tour) https://ducktourssouthbeach.com
John Pennenkamp Coral Reef Park http://pennekamppark.com
Dry Tortugas National Park https://www.drytortugas.com
Everglades National Park https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm

Key West could be a day or overnight trip. It's fun just walking around. I liked Everglades National Park, although it's kind of a relaxed vibe. Hope your kids aren't easily spooked by wildlife. The alligators aren't necessarily man eaters, but you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Key West could be a day or overnight trip. It's fun just walking around. I liked Everglades National Park, although it's kind of a relaxed vibe. Hope your kids aren't easily spooked by wildlife. The alligators aren't necessarily man eaters, but you need to be aware of your surroundings.
Key west is a long drive from Miami

Key west is a long drive from Miami

I made it a day trip to Key West. Wasn't quite sure if I was going to head for the Everglades or Key West that day and didn't decide until someone at a visitor center in Homestead talked me into it. They'd just gotten out of a storm and a mandatory visitor evacuation order, and the employee said they were hurting for business. It was a really good trip too. I know it's over 3 hours, but that was still reasonable for me. I originally had plans for two nights and a trip to Fort Jefferson, but the storm changed those plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter