Help planning use of points- your hypothetical scenarios

Disfam19

Earning My Ears
Assuming all goes well with my Saratoga springs contract for 200 points with a use year of June, and then with buying 25 add on points from Disney with hopefully the same use year, I’m looking for hypothetical scenarios of how you guys would use points if you wanted to get max value, while having a spouse and three children, while also staying at some other resorts other than home resort. We are 100% flexible with time of year travel. Thanks guys!

Big issue you will have is that you will have limited options to switch in Adventure and Choice seasons.

My understanding is that some of the wilderness and animal kingdom studios are not as difficult to obtain at the 7 month window for value season- also interested in the AKV 2 bedroom at 185 points in value season if we want to take extended family! Thoughts? Thanks!

My understanding is that some of the wilderness and animal kingdom studios are not as difficult to obtain at the 7 month window for value season

This is not really accurate. The AKV studios sometimes have holes by 7. BRV and CCV starting in November are quite difficult, and even though CCV may have more units declared than points sold for a while, the cabins create excess points that will compete for the smaller units. Last year, AKV and Saratoga both had holes for studios during many weeks of the fall season at the 7 month window, which hasn't been previously typical but seems to be the new normal.

also interested in the AKV 2 bedroom at 185 points in value season if we want to take extended family!

The 185 point 2BR is a 2BR Value unit. If you do not own at AKV and book at 11 months, you will not get it. There are 10 total lock-off 2BR Value units, which means they can be split for studios. These are generally gone very quickly at 11 months.

My understanding is that some of the wilderness and animal kingdom studios are not as difficult to obtain at the 7 month window for value season- also interested in the AKV 2 bedroom at 185 points in value season if we want to take extended family! Thoughts? Thanks!

For value season? Not exactly correct for most of the value seasons as many DVC owners are very thrifty and definitely go in the lowest point cost times. Magic and Dream seasons tend to be the easier time to book from my observations and usage over the years. September is the value time that it's easier but that's starting to be the first half of that month since Disney has been starting F&W earlier.

And I agree that getting a 2BR value unit at AKV which is a lock-off is going to be very unlikely without owning there.

..., while having a spouse and three children, while also staying at some other resorts other than home resort. We are 100% flexible with time of year travel. Thanks guys!

FYI your 5 person family won’t fit into an AKV studio, so maybe best to run hypotheticals based on resorts/villa sizes you’ll fit into. W/ flexibility & especially if you are willing to do split stays as you explore what you like & don’t like you should be able to experience most, if not all, of the DVC resorts. Be careful booking 1 or 2 br.s though - they are addicting :)

FYI your 5 person family won’t fit into an AKV or BRV studio, so maybe best to run hypotheticals based on resorts/villa sizes you’ll fit into. W/ flexibility & especially if you are willing to do split stays as you explore what you like & don’t like you should be able to experience most, if not all, of the DVC resorts. Be careful booking 1 or 2 br.s though - they are addicting :)

Correct on the AKV studio unless one is currently under 3 but BRV studios added the murphy bed and the occupancy for them is now 5.

For that matter you won't fit in studios at Saratoga for long, and booking a capacity 5 studio in fall at 7 months is challenging.

This is something else to consider, if you fly, Tuesday and Wednesday are usually the cheapest dates to fly. Therefore, you may want to check in/out on those days!

A one bedroom at Saratoga looks to be a good value and I just learned you can have 5 people.
I’m looking at buying resale at Saratoga as well. Looking at all the options for a 5 person family. Looks like a few hotels have studios that fit 5. But most one bedrooms we will be good. I wouldn’t even consider buying at Saratoga if I couldn’t get 5 in the one bedroom.

A one bedroom at Saratoga looks to be a good value and I just learned you can have 5 people.
I’m looking at buying resale at Saratoga as well. Looking at all the options for a 5 person family. Looks like a few hotels have studios that fit 5. But most one bedrooms we will be good. I wouldn’t even consider buying at Saratoga if I couldn’t get 5 in the one bedroom.

SSR does not have the sleeper chair. To put 5 in one you have to provide your own bedding.

Will Disney bring down the Hammer if they find out? Or do they allow it but not help with it?

You are allowed to book the 5 in the 1BR. It is a DVC thing but you wouldn't be able to do it on cash thru Disney. But you have to bring both the bed and bedding for #5.

Note that this is not true of all room types or all resorts. CCV 1BRs are hard limit 4.

Note that this is not true of all room types or all resorts. CCV 1BRs are hard limit 4.

Value 1Br's at AKV also are limited to 4. But all other 1BR's at WDW can have 5 booked into them but some will not have beds for all 5.

Last edited:
Value 1Br's at AKV also are limited to 5. But all other 1BR's at WDW can have 5 booked into them but some will not have beds for all 5.
Amazing thank you for the info! I assume the same does not go for 4 sleeper studios in DVC?

Amazing thank you for the info! I assume the same does not go for 4 sleeper studios in DVC?

No it doesn't with the exception of allowing one child under 3. Some studios have an occupancy of 5 though. VGF, BWV, BCV, BRV and PVB. BLT, AKV, CCV, SSR and OKW are all 4 plus 1 under 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter