• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Paradise Pier or Courtyard Marriott Theme Park

PrincessIM

Mouseketeer
I'm having such a hard time deciding between the two. Our party consists of DH, myself, DD 16 & DS 12. I thought I had narrowed it down to the Marriott as I was able to find a room for $293/night. We decided to add a couple of nights and our rate is now $351/Fri,Sat & $293 for Sun-Wed. The PP comes in at $370/night. The difference between the Paradise Pier and the Marriott for the whole stay is $314. I'm also hoping for but not counting on a summer discount which would bring the price down even further.

My biggest concern is the walking distance from PP to Disneyland. We have stayed at PP previously but were able to use the GCH entrance at the time. Without being able to use the GCH shortcut does it make it a much longer walk? We stayed at the DLH a few years back and we were perfectly fine with the walk. Kids will also likely be walking back and forth from the park and want to be sure it's safe for them to walk (I know paranoid mom but I had a bad experience walking to our hotel offsite many years ago and haven't stayed offsite since). Also important is a decent pool. DH and I are hoping to head back to the hotel and relax by the pool. Also wondering if you can still get drinks from the pool area. I know they don't have pool service but hoping we can order a drink to enjoy poolside.

Looking for any opinions and thoughts you can share that can help me make up my mind!

TIA!

When in doubt and money is no object, choose onsite! I love to be in the Disney bubble and will pay more for it, though I know I'm in the minority. When we stayed at PP we would only use the Grand entrance half of the time. I say the walk from PP through DD is about the same as DLH. The pool bar is hit or miss, but we have been there in the summer and actually had pool service. The pool itself is okay, basic, but my kids really enjoy California Streamin.

I am going through a version of this dilemma myself: HOJO (low price) v. Courtyard Marriott (space and amenities) v. DL Property (the bubble). Originally I booked HOJO and I am still maintaining that reservation, but gosh the Courtyard Marriott looks nice. I reserved one of the rooms with a King bed at one end and bunkbeds at the other end of the hallway, with a balcony facing the Disneyland fireworks. It is a lot more money, but having all of the space seems worth it, and the ability to retreat to the room to watch the fireworks (and use the waterpark!) is a plus.

But all that said, I am really seduced by the Disney properties (leaning towards the DLH), and as soon as you are paying the Courtyard prices, it is not really too much more to stay on site. Yet, if my kids (on East Coast time) end up feeling wiped out by 8:00 PM, do I want to be stuck in a small room for the rest of the night? Decisions...

I stay at both those properties regularly...at that price point the decision is easy for me. PPH hands down.

There a big difference to me walking though DTD to the PPH and staying in the "bubble" vs walking across the street via Harbor and having to contend with that security gate in the morning. The walk is only like 3 min more heading into the park and you can still exit the GCH to the PPH.

Courtyard is my favorite off site, but I will take on site without a doubt when it is that close in price.

I stayed at PPH just after the security change. Not being able to cut through the GCH made me a little nervous about the distance.
To my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Sure it was a bit longer but not a noticeable amount.
Having the new security locations opening so early made it a breeze to get through. I loved being able to exit the parks and eat lunch in DTD and not having to worry about security back into the parks.

I'd go with PPH over the Marriott. Early Entry is so nice.
I also like being able to watch the fireworks from the pool deck sometimes. No crowds to fight....

Good luck on your decision

Geemo

I would also vote for PPH. The early entry and staying in the Disney bubble the entire time is worth it for sure! We found the walk from PPH very enjoyable.

I love the onsite bubble & EMH. But when is your trip? I ask because summer discounts are out & the next discount traditionally doesn't start until mid-end Aug. Can you pay upfront? If so you can periodically find a 15% off coupon for Orbitz or Cheaptickets (which is usually a few percentage points more than Orbitz, but Orbitz gives you 5% back towards your next Orbitz booking available immediately) & the coupons work on Disney hotels.

I'll be contrary--I've stayed at both (plus HoJo's and DLH). If the early mornings are important to you, I'd go PPH. Otherwise, I'd go with the Marriott personally. We stayed in that exact room soon after opening (King premium view) and all the extra space was great (and there is only 2 of us!)
It's an easy walk, it's great to be able to see the fireworks from your balcony if you make it an early night, there is a simple on-site restaurant for quick meals or beverages or whatever.

PPH, with no balconies and a fairly simple pool, isn't really worth it to me. Again, unless the early entry is significant for you---then on-site wins every time.

The good news--I don't think you will have a bad trip either way!

Good luck!

Its a tough call but with kids that age I think you might be considerably more comfortable with the bunk beds at courtyard. But an even better idea. How about a split stay. Stay at pph on the nights the courtyard is the higher price. Then you get the best of both worlds

PPH, no question. I'd feel safer w/ my kids doing that walk than the walk out onto Harbor. The walk back from the parks to PPH is still really short, since you can cut through GCH. The walk to the parks isn't bad either, if you exit PPH out the back entrance then you just walk a really short distance and you're already at the security area in front of DLH...it's barely farther away.
I've never stayed at the Marriott though, I just can't resist the EMHs.

ETA- I've never been able to order from the poolside restaurant at PPH, it's always been closed (mostly stayed during slow times, but it was also closed during New Years...I guess that's slow pool-time too). There is a bar/snacks area on the first floor though and you can grab a drink there if you have to.

For $20 more I'd definitely do the split stay for the 2 extra nights. But while the immediate area on Harbor is fairly safe, I wouldn't let a 12 year old walk back to the Marriott alone. Maybe with the 16 year old if they got along well and the 16 year old was very, very responsible. But I think if you're going to do that, GCH, DLH, or a property right at the crosswalk are better options. Even PPH is a little far for a 12 year old to go alone, for me anyway.

I'm going to echo what many have already said. I've stayed at both and with your situation I'd definetley pick PPH. The walk to the park in the morning isn't bad. I also think the security lines are much shorter than if you stay at the Courtyard. The Harbour Security lines get long but with the new security checkpoint for hotel guests the security lines aren't bad. I personally hate being all excited to get into the parks and then hitting a super long security line first thing (I know it's necessary, I'm not complaining about that aspect of it). I think by choosing PPH you won't have those super long security lines.

We've stayed at both Courtyard and PPH with a recent stay at PPH. The Courtyard is awesome! The rooms are a nice size, everything is clean and new, and we had truly great customer service there. However, I think at 12 & 16 your kids will be too old for the pool at the Courtyard. The area is mostly a water play area that is geared to younger kids and the actual pool is pretty tiny. The pool at PPH is pretty basic but at least it's a nice size and they do have the waterslide too. We just went inside and ordered drinks and brought them out to the pool. I think in the summer they do have drinks available by the pool. If the pool is really important to you then you could reserve a cabana at DLH. And, of course, Early Entry is the real reason to pick PPH.

The walk back from the parks is very short because you can still cut through GCH on your way back. As long as your boys don't get lost in the Grand during the short cut they'll be back pretty quick!

I really wish they would change their policy and allow PPH guests to use the GCH shortcut. It's not that big of a deal when it's the first thing in the morning but I really didn't like it when we were headed back into the parks in the afternoon. We had View rooms and when you can literally see how close CA is and know how fast you could be there using the GCH entrance (that you've used many times before) I found it irritating. It also bugged me on checkout day when we wanted to go eat at WhiteWater Snacks. I feel strongly that they should still allow PPH guests to cut through GCH at least after that morning rush is over. If you end up feeling this way too please let the staff know. As regular PPH guests I left a comment card and sent an email.

With either hotel you'll have a great trip but I'm always lured in with Early entry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter