• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Our Pixie Dust Dreams are fading!

We've been going at least yearly since 2005 and the only major changes that affected us are MB and FP+ and we are big fans of both. The new Extra Magic hour events are just that, events.... like MNSSHP & MVMCP. I really don't understand the fuss about premium parking:scratchin. WDW is like the last group of parks to implement them. In addition you wouldn't be parking in those spots anyway unless you are always at the parks way early. Even if you are, you'll still be in the very next section :confused3.

I'm not always a fan of changes they make either, replacing Maelstrom and Osborne lights really bummed me out :sad1: . But I feel like WDW adds a lot great things that nobody mentions when they are itemizing all the things they don't like. We are huge fans and all-in-all, it's still an awesome vacation.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the fuss about premium parking:scratchin. WDW is like the last group of parks to implement them.

That is a good point. The airport here has premium and economy parking and I never gave that a second thought. We always park in economy to save $$$ even if it is a longer walk (and there are no trams there).

Value is subjective! It always will be. If you don't find value in what you spend at WDW then you need to spend your money elsewhere. I'm as frugal as they come, but I still find so much value in a WDW vacation. The memories we make and joy we experience as a family make it worth it to go every other year with a different vacation in the off years.

My only issue with the add-ons is when they take things that were previously free to the public and apply a charge to them. Some examples are the terrace area where they hold the Wishes Dessert Party. Previously, you could have gone there for a good view of the fireworks for free. Also the parade viewing from the train station on main street, which is now VIP only. The Extra Morning Hours in Fantasyland will have an impact on some people's rope drop or even early morning ADR plans which would have been free and hassle free without this addition. With this and the addition of the after hours tickets too, I can see a definite lean towards possibly replacing free EMH with a paid service in the future. Not saying it will happen, but I can easily see how they might be moving that way. That said, there has been a definite decline in value through the years. Back as a relatively poor single mom when my boys were 5 and under, I could go on the deluxe dining plan and remember when it included appetizers for meals and all your gratuities. The prices rose, gratuity and appetizers got dropped, and we stopped purchasing it. We will continue to go until basic vacation services like EMH stop being offered for free or the costs of hotel and tickets gets too exorbitant. Until then, we make it work for us, and have never had a bad vacation a the Happiest Place on Earth.

Most of the things that you listed are purely alacard, and are not required.
1. If you are staying on site, you still get EMH days every single day. The new before hours/after hours program is just on top of that and hardly worth it.
2. The general feeling on the preferred parking is that it isn't much more of a time saver over normal parking. In my opinion, the only way they could do a premium parking that would be worth it is if they did valet (not ever happening).
3. Restaurants. I know that I am in the minority on the dis, but I just don't get the feeling of them being a must do. Sure, if you can afford it and want something a bit special, why not? But there are enough decent counter service restaurants in each park that you have enough options to make sit down service a who cares event. Yes, I know that many use the sit downs for character interactions, but be realistic. The amount of interaction time that kids get with the characters combined with mediocre food doesn't make them worth it.

Yes, I know that many use the sit downs for character interactions, but be realistic. The amount of interaction time that kids get with the characters combined with mediocre food doesn't make them worth it.
At wdw, I tend to agree with you. DLR is a different story. The Minnie and Friends character breakfast we went to at the plaza was outstanding. We met a ton of characters (9 or 10?), and most came around to us more than once while we were seated. The Characters were also superb in their interactions, especially with my very shy DD. I wish we could find something similar at wdw.

Exactly.

Enjoy the lower overall cost due to the "whales" (as they are called in the mobile game industry) that pay for these extras and essentially subsidize everything else.

Imagine if all that was "included" with the price or they didn't have overpriced "events"? The gate price would be like going on a Disney Cruise.
This is a different perspective on things. I have not thought of it this way. Thanks

Not a Star Wars Hater just not a fan. I was just trying to make the point that the magic that made us love Disney is fading.

We are taking a break. We too have gone many times since 2006. Now our boy is in college, so we figure we will wait a few years and then go again (I still have some old NE tickets I need to use up!). We will probably stay at SOG or a moderate resort, eat less in the park and spend less on souvenirs, and won't be buying into the extras. With tuition and all we will have to be a little more frugal. But the magic is still there, and won't worry about the extras that cost more. Last time we were there, we sat on rocking chairs where Aunt Polly's used to be on TS Island, and watched the riverboat go by and tourist in Frontierland. I felt truly content.

Most of the things that you listed are purely alacard, and are not required.
1. If you are staying on site, you still get EMH days every single day. The new before hours/after hours program is just on top of that and hardly worth it.
2. The general feeling on the preferred parking is that it isn't much more of a time saver over normal parking. In my opinion, the only way they could do a premium parking that would be worth it is if they did valet (not ever happening).
3. Restaurants. I know that I am in the minority on the dis, but I just don't get the feeling of them being a must do. Sure, if you can afford it and want something a bit special, why not? But there are enough decent counter service restaurants in each park that you have enough options to make sit down service a who cares event. Yes, I know that many use the sit downs for character interactions, but be realistic. The amount of interaction time that kids get with the characters combined with mediocre food doesn't make them worth it.

Yep, and if you know where to look, some of the counter service restaurants have really excellent dishes. There's a Fried Green Tomato sandwich at Rosie's All American Cafe that's delicious, and the mac and cheese dishes at Friar Tuck's are terrific, too. And my husband is a huge fan of the ABC Commissary's edamame salad.

At wdw, I tend to agree with you. DLR is a different story. The Minnie and Friends character breakfast we went to at the plaza was outstanding. We met a ton of characters (9 or 10?), and most came around to us more than once while we were seated. The Characters were also superb in their interactions, especially with my very shy DD. I wish we could find something similar at wdw.
My girlfriend and I did the breakfast character meal at the really nice lodge connected to California Adventure (forgive me for forgetting the name, it was ages ago) and I enjoyed it. I agree that the amount of interaction there was pretty special.
Maybe it is a California vs Florida thing?

I know Disney's main objective is to make money because in the end it is a Business. I just feel we are being nickeled and dimed for every last cent. Charges for premium parking, extra evening hours, extra morning hours, special viewing areas and so on. We have adapted to the lack of spontaneity. You really have to plan out every minute. Food dictates your trip if you want to eat at sit down restaurants. It's getting harder with families with little ones due to larger crowds. We aren't big Star Wars fans and I think it may be taking over. We Have been to Disney World 15 times since 2006 and 1 Disney cruise. We are huge fans. I know they have to adapt to stay relevant. I remember walking through Mickey and Minnie's house on our first trip and felt like a kid again. It was awesome! Things are a changing and for our family it's not for the best. I guess in the end they will keep testing the ceiling of how high they can go. As they raise prices attendance keeps growing.

I'm local, visit a park at least once a week and just back from an amazing stay WDW. I made our FP+ at the 60 day mark for 3 days, but ended up only keeping one day's fp. Dining did not dictate our trip, except for one night where we went offsite with a party of 50 to 60 people.

The good thing about the nickel and diming, is that it's optional!! I choose not to pay extra for something I don't need. Is my vacation going to be ruined because I'm missing those add ons? No. I also don't feel the new add ons would enhance my vacation either.

My son gets anxious in crowds. We avoid bottleneck areas. I didn't feel the resort or parks were crowded this past week. Weather was the only thing that stood in the way of the perfect vacation. It rained (lightening) which cut short our pool time.

The Star Wars presence isn't overbearing. DHS is the only park where it's obvious. And then it's only 2 short stage shows, awesome fireworks, and Launch Bay.

Toontown was a very special place and many of us miss it. Seeing the cake rise and the popcorn pop was always a favorite. So many beloved attractions have gone to the wayside over the years. But that's progress as they say on Carousel of Progress.

I'm of the thought process that there something for everyone at Disney. It's still possible to cater a trip to your own tastes and budget. To me, a day at Disney is better than a day somewhere else.

I'm not going to be eating that $11.75 turkey leg, or paying for premium parking. I'm going to be spending it on those things at Disney that have more appeal to my family. We cut down the number of nights we could stay. We've increased the number of meals offsite. And still had the most magical vacation!

I know Disney's main objective is to make money because in the end it is a Business. I just feel we are being nickeled and dimed for every last cent. Charges for premium parking, extra evening hours, extra morning hours, special viewing areas and so on. We have adapted to the lack of spontaneity. You really have to plan out every minute. Food dictates your trip if you want to eat at sit down restaurants. It's getting harder with families with little ones due to larger crowds. We aren't big Star Wars fans and I think it may be taking over. We Have been to Disney World 15 times since 2006 and 1 Disney cruise. We are huge fans. I know they have to adapt to stay relevant. I remember walking through Mickey and Minnie's house on our first trip and felt like a kid again. It was awesome! Things are a changing and for our family it's not for the best. I guess in the end they will keep testing the ceiling of how high they can go. As they raise prices attendance keeps growing.

I hear what you are saying. We have been AP holders for 5 years and taken 7 (soon to be 8 Disney Cruises since late 2013) And it seems that everytime we turn around, we are seeing "Options" and " extra special" priced events. Ultimately, we won't take advantage of these offers, because they just don't work for us. Honestly, I don't see the value in them in regards to what you get for the money. The extra evening event is going to have to come down quite a bit further and add more perks to make me consider forking over MORE money. :)

Last September when we got off the Fantasy (6th cruise) my husband and I told each other that we would only take ONE a year from that point on. Well, that was great in theory, but we find that the cruises are the only way for my husband to truly disconnect with no phones, no email, no internet for 7 nights. It is heaven. We too, have our own business and we like to travel in off season ( I homeschool our two teens) so that makes it a bit more reasonable. We would love to take a longer cruise (TA or PC) but that is not a possibility for the next few years. So we will stick to our usual two or three a year until we get bored and move on. There are MANY cruise lines out there that offer good programs that are less expensive, but my husband, kids and I prefer Disney, so we pay and enjoy it fully.

In October when Disney raised the AP rates (again) we almost didn't renew. We went back and forth on it for awhile and finally downgraded to a gold pass with minimal blackout dates. For previous years we had the AP with no blackout dates and bought the extras as we wanted them. (Disneyquest, Water parks etc) That was a hard pill to swallow, but in the long run, we are getting our use out of them and I still enjoy going for a few hours at a time a few times a week.

We meet up with other homeschool families and enjoy walking around, dining, riding attractions (if we want) and then leaving. Obviously a more relaxed feeling about those trips as opposed to the ones I witness with families dashing around the parks in a frenzy trying to cram everything into every second of the day. Just to get their money out of it. You have my sympathy.

Maybe it would be best to take a step back and try other vacations for a year or two and decide if you miss it too much to stay away. I hope that it works out for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter