Help ordering crutches!

leebee

DIS Veteran
My sister (58 yo) and has cerebral palsy; she uses crutches and a wheel chair for mobility. She needs to replace her crutches (the kind with metal cuffs around the forearm), but can't find what she needs as specs have changed. Apparently crutches have been streamlined and changed to be more "universal" but now come with a weight limitation, and she's about 50 pounds heavier than this. Companies therefore won't sell her crutches due to liability. On top of all this, due to her stature she has very specific needs. She has a child's forearm length but needs an adult handle, and a short adult distance pole to the tip. Unfortunately her usual supplier (Loftstrand in Canada) has changed its manufacturing specs. Diameters between poles for the adult vs. child now differ, so she can't piece together what she needs. Custom-designed crutches will be upwards of $1500 and her insurance doesn't cover durable medical equipment. They are rigging together a repair using materials from the hardware store (broken pin issue) but it's a temporary fix until she can find new crutches. Anyone have any suggestions of suppliers or ideas of what to do next? TIA for everyone's help.

My sister (58 yo) and has cerebral palsy; she uses crutches and a wheel chair for mobility. She needs to replace her crutches (the kind with metal cuffs around the forearm), but can't find what she needs as specs have changed. Apparently crutches have been streamlined and changed to be more "universal" but now come with a weight limitation, and she's about 50 pounds heavier than this. Companies therefore won't sell her crutches due to liability. On top of all this, due to her stature she has very specific needs. She has a child's forearm length but needs an adult handle, and a short adult distance pole to the tip. Unfortunately her usual supplier (Loftstrand in Canada) has changed its manufacturing specs. Diameters between poles for the adult vs. child now differ, so she can't piece together what she needs. Custom-designed crutches will be upwards of $1500 and her insurance doesn't cover durable medical equipment. They are rigging together a repair using materials from the hardware store (broken pin issue) but it's a temporary fix until she can find new crutches. Anyone have any suggestions of suppliers or ideas of what to do next? TIA for everyone's help.
:grouphug:

Well, if it were me, I would write down all the pertinent information, such as pole length, forearm length and circumference, her weight, etc., and just start Googling. There are so many variations of crutches out there, at all price points, that I am sure what she needs is out there. It’s just going to take a little time to find it. Also, sometimes it helps to use various search engines because of how they determine their results. You may find different companies will appear under different ones.

Best of luck with your search. I know from looking for mobility aids for my mom that it can be a challenge to find what you need at a price you can afford.

Hi!

I searched on Google for "custom order crutches". There were numerous options, but these companies seemed to have the most customizable options.

The most customizable option, in addition to being the most affordable.
https://millennialmedical.com/product/in-motion-pro-forearm-crutch/

This company allows the greatest range of weight.
https://www.rehabmart.com/product/bariatric-forearm-crutches-18299.html

https://www.qualitymedicalinc.com/custom_forearm_crutches.html

https://fetterman-crutches.com/collections/fetterman-litestix

I hope that you are able to find what your sister needs.

Hi - quick question:

Is the part she needs a snap pin -that looks like this?

8pcs Kayak Paddle Spring Snap Clips, Stainless Steel Spring Button Clip Push Button Clips, Tube Locking Pin Clips for Kayak Paddle Camping Tent Pole

Additionally, have you all searched Amazon for forearm crutches? Perhaps you could piece together what she needs that way.

I will also suggest that you ask around your/her community; there are often DME “lending closets” or groups that offer “free” rentals of DME for folks. Even if they don’t have exactly what she needs, they might know of a group that would. You can reach out to your local United Way folks; they might be a good place to start.

Thank you all for your help. I have forwarded your suggestions to her. She says the snap part is what isn't working at the moment but had no idea you could replace them, so thanks, @mamabunny for this suggestion. She also hadn't considered asking United Way for input but will follow up there, too. She lives just outside of a major city, so hopefully resources will be available!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter