Help needed - PLEASE ... needing to look at another choice

swimfin

DIS Veteran
Hello!
We tried to make the 11 night Southern Caribbean on the Fantasy work and in the end it’s not going to happen. We can make RCCL Freedom of the Seas work sailing from San Juan to the Southern Caribbean work. This would be our 1st venture away from Disney. I am sad to look at another cruise line yet I know that our time exploring San Juan, the ABC islands and Sint Maarten would make up for it.

This is where I need help ... can anyone give me details about Freedom of the Seas that you liked. We are a family of 3 (Our son is 15 and he’s the one who will miss Disney the most) We are looking at a Spacious Balcony View in the aft. Also, what is their dining situation like? I noticed many restaurants have a fee, so are there enough “included” choices that we won’t be frustrated? Are there food choices that are open all day like Disney? I saw that room service has a fee... is this accurate? What did you do about drink packages since it’s not included? Worried cruiser here that would love as many details as possible. THANK YOU and Cheers!

We have sailed 17 Disney cruises and about to do our 5th Royal. We haven’t sailed Freedom but have sailed Oasis, Adventures of the Seas and Majesty of the Sea. We about to sail Enchantment I still like Disney a bit better but our kids have aged out of Disney and they have priced us out.
I think Royal does boarding better. But I also think not as many people show up as early. Last year we sailed out of New Jersey they seated you according to your boarding time. This kept people from blocking the entrance
Your key cards are pre printed and will be waiting in your cabin. You will use your boarding pass for any charges before your cabin is ready.
You will send a photo of yourself for boarding ID no need to do it at the port.
Royal does anytime Dining. Or you can pick early or late. It’s the same dining room just different floors.
We liked being able to adjust dining a bit depending on our schedule but each evening we had to wait a few minutes to be seated but nothing bad. On Disney we would wait in our cabin or a bar until our seating time and then just walk to our table. On Royal I felt the service at anytime dining was a bit better because they weren’t having to deal with everyone at once.
The buffet is hands down better. More choices and available as a full buffet at dinner. Each evening they will a theme night.
Shows on the longer cruises you have to make reservations . It’s good and bad. It’s nice because you can schedule your dining and show times to fit your schedule but it’s a bit tricky. You will need to see what nights each shows are available and what ones you want to see. I made a grid up so it was easier once I was able to login.
Getting off the ship. Hands down Disney does it better!!
Groups get sent to different areas waiting for you number to be called. Lines for customs are long but if you use the porters you get in a shorter line:)

Last edited:
I loved Freedom. About the same size as Dream. Some awesome staterooms. So many loungers as long as you don’t feel the need to be AT the pool. Lots of fun all day.

Leaving out of San Juan should mean a later departure. You can board early. Many do. With the later departure, dinner starts later.

There’s food. Absolutely. No concerns with that.

Rather than having passengers and staff move to different venues each night (what Disney does is so weird, when I really really think about it, though it does keep things interesting), it’s the same venue. You know where your table is. It becomes YOUR table and is kind of comforting to return to each night. :) The menu changes each night.

We’ve never done a paid option for dining on Royal.

What did you do about drink packages since it’s not included?

We don’t drink soda, so having soda included has never been a bonus for us on Disney.

Drip coffee, normal tea bags, iced tea, and simple juices from concentrate (not fresh squeezed OJ, from my experience) are included in the fare, FYI.

If someone drinks sodas get the soda package for them.

I personally have never once been able to make a drinks package work for me and my consumption. Many others make it work. Alas not only can I not make ONE package work for me, but Royal has now gone back to requiring all adults in the room get the package if one does, and my then-husband didn’t drink, so it wasn’t worth it at all.

Ordering my booze drink by drink has worked just fine for me.

Things might have changed, but on some sailings they’ve sold a drinks *card* a couple days in, which gives you a certain number of drinks for the cost of the card. That has worked for me.

Check out the ice skating. You do need to sign up in advance for it. And you have to have long pants, so pack accordingly!!

Also see the ice skating show!!!

I’m not a big evening show person, even on Disney (especially on Disney), but the ice skating is worth it and I tend to like the comedians.

My son was only 12 and didn’t like the teen club on the cruise we took at that age. But he’s tall and his voice changed early, so the other teens that he looked and sounded like thought he was older, and that was awkward. He’s nearing 15 now and I’m sure would love it.

I’m jealous. Have an amazing cruise!!!

Your key cards are pre printed and will be waiting in your cabin. You will use your boarding pass for any charges before your cabin is ready.

Things might have changed, but I’m pretty sure those are only Oasis and Quantum things.

Freedom hasn’t had that. Your keycard is your keycard and you’re given it at checkin. And they don’t have you take the picture.

Editing to add: it wasn’t an Adventure or Vision thing, either.

Lines for customs are long but if you use the porters you get in a shorter line??

I haven’t experienced a different line in Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale, or San Juan. And we always use porters.

Freedom has a 24 hr cafe that serves snacks, sandwiches, pastries and a pizza place that is open all day that also has things like grilled vegetables, meats and cheeses etc. Also the buffet has a sushi place that has different Asian options. Room service has a charge except for continental breakfast, which is free.

I think the soda package is around 8.00\day and includes soda at restaurants and bars and the self service freestyle machines and the buffet has lemonade, iced tea and flavored waters for free. I don’t drink soda and have always found enough to drink without buying a package. I usually get it for the kids though as a vacation treat.

They have a teen club and lots of things to do around the ship like the flow rider, rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating, arcade, etc.

We have done 20+ cruise on DCL and have branched out to different lines over the last few years and my kids have enjoyed them all - they are now 14, 17, and 21 so we have experienced cruising with them at all ages starting at 13 months. I’m sure your son will enjoy it (if he let’s himself lol).

Have fun!

Last edited:
We have sailed 17 Disney cruises and about to do our 5th Royal. We haven’t sailed Freedom but have sailed Oasis, Adventures of the Seas and Majesty of the Sea. We about to sail Enchantment I still like Disney a bit better but our kids have aged out of Disney and they have priced us out.
I think Royal does boarding better. But I also think not as many people show up as early. Last year we sailed out of New Jersey they seated you according to your boarding time. This kept people from blocking the entrance
Royal does anytime Dining. Or you can pick early or late. It’s the same dining room just different floors.
We liked being able to adjust dining a bit depending on our schedule but each evening we had to wait a few minutes to be seated but nothing bad. On Disney we would wait in our cabin or a bar until our seating time and then just walk to our table. On Royal I felt the service at anytime dining was a bit better because they weren’t having to deal with everyone at once.
The buffet is hands down better. More choices and available as a full buffet at dinner. Each evening they will a theme night.
Shows on the longer cruises you have to make reservations . It’s good and bad. It’s nice because you can schedule your dining and show times to fit your schedule but it’s a bit tricky. You will need to see what nights each shows are available and what ones you want to see. I made a grid up so it was easier once I was able to login.
Getting off the ship. Hands down Disney does it better!!
Groups get sent to different areas waiting for you number to be called. Lines for customs are long but if you use the porters you get in a shorter line:)

THANK YOU for all of your insight!! Super helpful!! Cheers!

I loved Freedom. About the same size as Dream. Some awesome staterooms. So many loungers as long as you don’t feel the need to be AT the pool. Lots of fun all day.

Leaving out of San Juan should mean a later departure. You can board early. Many do. With the later departure, dinner starts later.

There’s food. Absolutely. No concerns with that.

Rather than having passengers and staff move to different venues each night (what Disney does is so weird, when I really really think about it, though it does keep things interesting), it’s the same venue. You know where your table is. It becomes YOUR table and is kind of comforting to return to each night. :) The menu changes each night.

We’ve never done a paid option for dining on Royal.

We don’t drink soda, so having soda included has never been a bonus for us on Disney.

Drip coffee, normal tea bags, iced tea, and simple juices from concentrate (not fresh squeezed OJ, from my experience) are included in the fare, FYI.

If someone drinks sodas get the soda package for them.

I personally have never once been able to make a drinks package work for me and my consumption. Many others make it work. Alas not only can I not make ONE package work for me, but Royal has now gone back to requiring all adults in the room get the package if one does, and my then-husband didn’t drink, so it wasn’t worth it at all.

Ordering my booze drink by drink has worked just fine for me.

Things might have changed, but on some sailings they’ve sold a drinks *card* a couple days in, which gives you a certain number of drinks for the cost of the card. That has worked for me.

Check out the ice skating. You do need to sign up in advance for it. And you have to have long pants, so pack accordingly!!

Also see the ice skating show!!!

I’m not a big evening show person, even on Disney (especially on Disney), but the ice skating is worth it and I tend to like the comedians.

My son was only 12 and didn’t like the teen club on the cruise we took at that age. But he’s tall and his voice changed early, so the other teens that he looked and sounded like thought he was older, and that was awkward. He’s nearing 15 now and I’m sure would love it.

I’m jealous. Have an amazing cruise!!!

THANK YOU for all of your insight!! Still not sure if we are going to book this trip. Needing to align several things, yet everyone’s help is INCREDIBLE!!! Cheers!

Freedom has a 24 hr cafe that serves snacks, sandwiches, pastries and a pizza place that is open all day that also has things like grilled vegetables, meats and cheeses etc. Also the buffet has a sushi place that has different Asian options. Room service has a charge except for continental breakfast, which is free.

I think the soda package is around 8.00\day and includes soda at restaurants and bars and the self service freestyle machines and the buffet has lemonade, iced tea and flavored waters for free. I don’t drink soda and have always found enough to drink without buying a package. I usually get it for the kids though as a vacation treat.

They have a teen club and lots of things to do around the ship like the flow rider, rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating, arcade, etc.

We have done 20+ cruise on DCL and have branched out to different lines over the last few years and my kids have enjoyed them all - they are now 14, 17, and 21 so we have experienced cruising with them at all ages starting at 13 months. I’m sure your son will enjoy it (if he let’s himself lol).

Have fun!

THANK YOU for your insight and help!!! Cheers!

Freedom will go into dry dock in Jan2020 for Royal's "amped" program, but there are no details yet on exactly what changes will be made. If your cruise is after that, I would suggest looking at Mariner, Independence or Navigator of the Seas for some of the potential changes in dining, amenities and deck plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter