Help! Need Christmas gift ideas for 3rd grade girl

Snowflakey

DIS Veteran
I've adopted a family for Christmas and I have a girl that is in 3rd grade. What toys are a hit at this age? Sadly the school I adopt the family from doesn't really help by getting a list of what they want so I'm on my own.

Also - she is an average size girl. So what size would that be?

Appreciate the help - I'd like to get most of the shopping done on Black Friday. I have a total of $500 to spend on her and her little brother and I want to make the best of it!

I''m not sure what average size is for an third grader is?? I think my daughter was in maybe 8/10 at that age.

She's a tween so you really can't go wrong lol.

nail stuff
board games
dolls
glitter paint
make up set pretend not real
jewlery
design your bag/cup/ purse/pillow
make your own blanket
bath stuff
electronics
books
art supplies

Last edited:
She's probably around 8. At 8 my DD liked stuffed animals, simple craft kits that she could do on her own, different craft supplies, American Girl dolls (I know that would be a splurge), clothes, any kind of fun accessories (scarves, fun mittens, shoes, costume jewelry).

Clothing is tough because they can be so many different sizes at these ages. At 8 my DD was usually wearing a 10/12.

From what I understand LOL surprise dolls are very popular with little girls.
I would stick to non-clothing unless its accessories like fun socks, mittens, hats.
fuzzy blanket
craft items (bracelet making kits etc)

She's probably around 8. At 8 my DD liked stuffed animals, simple craft kits that she could do on her own, different craft supplies, American Girl dolls (I know that would be a splurge), clothes, any kind of fun accessories (scarves, fun mittens, shoes, costume jewelry).

Clothing is tough because they can be so many different sizes at these ages. At 8 my DD was usually wearing a 10/12.

If you're thinking about doing American Girl type things, they have the mini-dolls along with the full sized book in sets at BJs and probably other places. My 9 year old is in 4th and loves all the things listed here, including the mini dolls. For clothes, I'd lean towards the 10/12 sizing, just because if she's small, she can grow into them and if she's bigger, they should fit.

My DGD #1 is 3rd grade, right now she into Legos. She in particular loves the Friends line.

Clothing: go with size 10/12...room to grow

Toys: Lego Friends, American Girl (Our Generation at Target has great accessories), Shopkins, Animal Jam, The Descendants book series, hair accessories, nail polish, fun socks, craft kits (age/skill appropriate), jewelry/accessories, Barbie,

My daughter is 8 and in 3rd grade. She wears a 10/12 because she's really tall for her age.

She's really into Minecraft, Pokemon cards, stuffed animals (especially unicorns), Legos (not the Friends ones), knee-high boots, magic putty (which is all the rage where we live). She loves riding her scooter and her bike.

I know that some of her friends are into American Girl (my daughter HATES dolls and always has - go figure). Shopkins are also apparently very popular (although we don't watch TV so my daughter has never gotten into those).

Littlest Pet Shop, My Little Pony

I agree about getting size 10 clothing. Include gift receipts for everything so the clothing can be exchanged if need be.

Since you don't know how the parents feel about nail polish on an eight year older I'd put that idea to the side for a different child.

Craft kits are great for most any age and can readily be purchased at local museums and Michael's.

My daughter just turned 9 and is in the 3rd grade.

She is not interested in any kind of dolls (American Girl or otherwise).

She loves crafting, make up & nail polish, and accessories. LOVES hair chalk. She also loves movies and riding her bike. She just got some tiny surprise Hatchimals that she was really excited about for her birthday.

Last year she was really into Shopkins, but that has lost some interest.

She is wears a size 12.

My DD8, likes Legos, Beanie Boo stuffed animals, craft kits, and wears size 8-10 or medium girls in clothes. Books she is into the Warrior cats and Ramona Quimby series. She plays Mind Craft and has asked for adult versions of her board games.

From what I understand LOL surprise dolls are very popular with little girls.
I would stick to non-clothing unless its accessories like fun socks, mittens, hats.
fuzzy blanket
craft items (bracelet making kits etc)
Yes with LOL things. Any of the collectible little surprise egf things are really in right now. I saw a make your own glitter slime kit that looked neat too!

My 2nd grade granddaughter, is obsessed with the LOL dolls.
She likes Shopkins too.
I bought her a flashback to my youth game last week, Spirograph and she loves its.
She can sit for an hour or two with pens and markers just drawing.
She loves to read and is reading The Babysitters Club books right now.
Her new favorite PJs are these one piece ones with hoods, they come in a lot of different designs and some have characters on them.

When my daughter was 8 she was in a 6x-8 but she is on the small side. She loves any type of craft stuff. Even just crayons and a scroll of paper with designs on it to color. She does love her dolls. More so to do their hair. I got the American Girl style doll at either Target or KMart. They are much cheaper. She also loves hair stuff. Right now the big thing is JoJo bows (really big bows). He is 10 now but I see the younger kids wearing them more. She also loved legos (the girl version) and Hatchimals.

And she is obsessed with Shopkins and squishes. Squishes are a foam shaped food. The people who make shopkins make squishes. It is kind of like a stress ball.

I have a 4th grader, but she was into all this last year and still is (and her friends are, too). For toys - Lego Friends, Barbie, Enchantimals, Squishies, Shopkins (little critters and also the dolls), Num Noms, Mini Mixies, Hatchimals, Littlest Pet Shop, and blind bag stuff like Pikmi pops, LOL dolls, Hatchimals, Num Noms, etc. Shopkins and Num Noms have playsets she likes. (The HOT items this year with her and her friends are Squishies, Pikmi Pops, and LOL dolls). This year she asked for board games like Yeti in My Spaghetti and Soggy Doggy. She loves coloring books and colored pencils but she likes the "adult" complicated ones.

For clothes, she moved into a size L (10/12) in 3rd. She does not like character clothes, but that's just her. She loves cute slippers and thick fuzzy socks and wore a size 3 last year, but every kid is going to be different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter