• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help my new HVAC compressor is leaking, is this normal?

Theta

DIS Veteran
I just had a new HVAC system installed last week and there is water pooling below the compressor. Isn't there a drip pan that should be collecting this condensation? Or perhaps could it have been cracked during installation? Is this normal, we have been having 90+ degree temperatures lately. HVAC guy said it is normal, but all I see is a perpetually wet area that will get green and slimy over time.

Attachments

• HVAC leak.jpg
    HVAC leak.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
A friend of mine just bought a new house. His is doing the same thing in 90+ degree heat.

He called an HVAC guy that I recommended. Freon was added, but didn't take much. He told him he might have to replace the unit.

My Dad went to his house and checked to make sure that there were no clogs in one of the pipes. There was nothing. My Dad is pretty handy and told him that he doesn't think it is anything concerning. The unit is 8 years old... installed when the house was built.

I'm curious to hear what others think so I can report them back to my friend.

@kymom99, the leak is in the basement, not outside, hence the concern about standing water.

A friend of mine just bought a new house. His is doing the same thing in 90+ degree heat.

He called an HVAC guy that I recommended. Freon was added, but didn't take much. He told him he might have to replace the unit.

My Dad went to his house and checked to make sure that there were no clogs in one of the pipes. There was nothing. My Dad is pretty handy and told him that he doesn't think it is anything concerning. The unit is 8 years old... installed when the house was built.

I'm curious to hear what others think so I can report them back to my friend.

@kymom99, the leak is in the basement, not outside, hence the concern about standing water.
That picture is outside

@Theta, is the picture in your basement or outside?

@kymom99, it looked like the basement to me. We'll see what Theta says. My friend's leak is in his basement. I wouldn't think it would make a difference outside, especially when it's humid. My car "leaks" too when I use the AC in the summer.

@Theta, is the picture in your basement or outside?

@kymom99, it looked like the basement to me. We'll see what Theta says. My friend's leak is in his basement. I wouldn't think it would make a difference outside, especially when it's humid. My car "leaks" too when I use the AC in the summer.
The compressor is outside. If you zoom in you can see dirt next to it

As far as condensation inside the house, you should have a way to take that to a drain. We had some condensation in our furnace room last summer because my husband forgot to turn off the humidifier. The hvac tech said we would get mold from that. Maybe check the humidifier setting.

Condensation would be inside the furnace plenum, collecting from the A coil and running through a hose to an indoor sewer, laundry tub, sump pit, or possibly outside through a hole in a wall. I've not experienced dripping moisture outside from the compressor.

This is outside and a brand new variable speed unit, only 5 days old.

It is on a concrete slab under our deck.

This is the condensation leaking this morning.

Attachments

• HVAC2.jpg
    HVAC2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Does it have a condensate drain tube? There should be one that allows for water to drain away

I am with Dan on this one. We have a newer HVAC systen, and the only water we have coming from condensation in the system, is in the unit in the cellar. It drains indoors with a pcp pipe into a drain hole in the floor that connects to the sewer system. We have had hot and humid weather for a couple of weeks now, and I just went out and looked at our outside unit and there is no water , and no moisture anywhere around it. I hope you find out it's just because of the heat. Wait until it cools off a bit, and then check and see if you are still getting it,,if so,,call your HVAC installer again. Good luck!

A couple of months ago I noticed that my house wasn't getting as cool on the main floor. Thermostat temp not going down and at times, temp going up. We had just had our summer HVAC service done the week before. Called the same company & they said it was the compressor on one of our AC units (we have 3). We did not have any leaking or wet spots. Our AC units are on that black platform thing just like yours.

i would communicate with the installer in writing so that in the event you have an issue after the warranty ends-you have covered yourself (wasn't there a recent thread with someone dealing with a costly issue that fell just outside the warranty period on a relatively new unit?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter