Help me wrap my brain around rider switch.

I’m not sure how you are getting Rider Switch added, but we just enter through the Lightening Lane and as we scan our passes, we tell the CM standing right there that we need a Rider Switch pass. We never waited more than a few seconds for one, even when we were there during Thanksgiving break last year. Sure, if you are entering at the beginning of the LL window it’s not necessary to get one, but I wouldn’t risk it if entering 15 minutes or more past the start time. Things happen - the ride can temporarily go down but not for long enough to trigger an MEP for the people still holding their LLs. A kid could have to go to the bathroom. And there are some rides where you can have a pretty good idea of how long you are going to wait in the LL, some some you don’t (Splash, MF, and Soarin’ are good examples of this). I personally wouldn’t risk losing an LL to save a minute or two by not getting a Rider Switch pass, but everyone has their own level of risk aversion.
Okay.. our experience is not consistently the same is yours. We use Rider Switch often for many rides, and sometimes it is not the CM standing right there that issues it. Sometimes it’s a CM around the side - for example, this happened at BTMR and we had to wait our turn. We’ve also had times where their devices aren’t working right to set it up and had to wait for them to figure it out.

Refresh my memory - can rider switch only be used with a child that does not meet a height requirement, not one that just doesn’t want to ride?

Refresh my memory - can rider switch only be used with a child that does not meet a height requirement, not one that just doesn’t want to ride?
I don’t know if that technically meets the requirements, but I have used rider switch to alternate taking my young children on certain rides because my husband does not do rollercoasters. That way I don’t have to wait as long to take the second child. Point being I think if you have a child that requires supervision while others ride, they may make an exception even if not the “rules”.

It is so they don't have to wait in the long line. The second group get to "skip" the line.
So if we all wait in line we wouldn't need the switch pass? I assume its still a good idea to get though in case they have to hop out of line for changing or feeding etc.

So if we all wait in line we wouldn't need the switch pass? I assume its still a good idea to get though in case they have to hop out of line for changing or feeding etc.
A child who doesn’t meet the height requirement of a ride cannot enter the line, so waiting all together isn’t an option.

A child who doesn’t meet the height requirement of a ride cannot enter the line, so waiting all together isn’t an option.
Oh wow thanks, I had no idea. I feel like I’ve seen babies in lines but to be honest I have no idea what rides those were for since it wasn’t on my radar on any of our previous visits.

It depends. We do Rider Switch very often and sometimes we have to wait in a line to get the Rider Switch added. We typically travel during school breaks so the parks are busy. They don’t necessarily need to setup Rider Switch for their situation, unless they really are always showing up at a ride right before the LL expires. If they’re there at the beginning of the window, they should just be able to use their LLs in 2 groups. It’s just another option to consider rather than always getting Rider Switch if it’s not necessary.
The other reason to do rider switch is so all the LL bookings are "used" and the whole party can book their next LL reservation. Otherwise you have to wait until the second group has tapped into the ride before you can make the next G+ reservation.

The other reason to do rider switch is so all the LL bookings are "used" and the whole party can book their next LL reservation. Otherwise you have to wait until the second group has tapped into the ride before you can make the next G+ reservation.
Super helpful thanks! We arrive Saturday! :)

This is true… we typically have things stacked up / accelerating so we don’t usually run into that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter