Help me wow these first timers on a non-park day!

megs1313

DIS Veteran
We're staying at BC and had originally planned to enjoy the resort pool on our non-park day, but the weather forecast has gone downhill...we'll still try to swim if at all possible, but i don't imagine it will occupy a full day like i thought it would. It's gotta be budget friendly because we have a HUGE group. Any ideas?? TIA!

Definitely go resort hopping to walk around all the resorts. They are very cool! I think most if not all have a scavenger hunt you could do. That would be a fun way to spend the day.

If you go to Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Poly, or Wilderness Lodge, you can rent a pontoon boat for about $45/hour that will hold 10 people. It is relaxing to roam around 7 Seas Logoon and Bay Lake. It takes about an hour to make a circuit. I am sure there are similar rentals at Beach Club for the lake there, but I have never personally done that one.
There are discounts if you are DVC or AP.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/motorized-boats/

Staying near:
Mini golf, meal at Swan/Dolphin, Ample Hills ice cream on the boardwalk. There are also little shows on the boardwalk as well.

Taking a ride: Disney Springs?

Animal Kingdom Lodge has always WOWed our first timers, Wilderness Lodge has been a big hit as well. We usually just tour around the resort, and maybe split a bottle of wine in one of the lounges.

I say breakfast buffet at Trails End or The Wave, resort hopping to shop and check out resorts and maybe Disney Springs, you can even take in a movie at Disney Springs, have a nice dinner, shop..

Depending on how many park days you have, it usually isn't much to add a day.

We don't do non park days as a rule. A half day in a park is often enough for us though!

We always enjoy a non park day as long as we have at least a week in WDW. We use it to sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast, hang out at the pool, resort hop to check out the shops and have a nice dinner either at a resort or Disney Springs.. Its really nice to take one day to slow down..

My fondest memory is taking our anniversary off from parks, ordering room service (Poly) hanging out at the pool, renting a mouse boat for 30 min and falling asleep together in a hammock while hearing the Poly music and the MK boat horn in the back ground.. Next day we went back to the parks..

I second the breakfast buffet (or even better, brunch if they are serving it) at Trails End! It's a must do for my family every trip!

If you decide to Disney Springs, it is fun to take the boat ride to Port Orleans French Quarter and try the beignets! Super yummy!

I also like the idea of brunch buffet at the Wave at the Contemporary...we just discovered this restaurant and love it!

I think it would be fun to rent a pontoon boat.

Resort hop via the monorail is always fun!

The campground has some great areas to explore. Little ones can enjoy a pony ride. You can watch the blacksmith making horseshoes for the horses. At night, there is a campfire with Chip and Dale...you can make smores and sing-along with the show. There are wagon rides too. You can walk over to the Wilderness Lodge and enjoy a campfire cupcake!

Have a magical time!

I agree a lunch at AK resort and walking around the resort would be nice, it's an anazingly themed resort.

Also Disney Springs is a great option too. I have a friend who always loved to have lunch there and get an ornament in the Christmas shop (no matter what time of year she goes).

We started our light day (Halloween Party day) with the brunch buffet at The Wave and then resort hopped along the monorail resorts from there. We left our hotel (POFQ) for a 10am ADR and were not on our way back until after 2pm and that was mostly to go get ready to leave again from MK. You could probably stretch it even longer depending on the age of the people. Once done, you can probably head back to your hotel to try the pool, or head to Disney Springs, or even hit a different resort like AKL.

You did not say adult or kids or both. Also, I have a hard time with budget friendly since that could mean many different things to many different people. So I will list things and you take it to your budget.

POR and I believe FWL have pole fishing, it is like $3. Those two resorts also have carriage rides for like $45 and 4 or 5 people can fit into a carriage. Trails end is so good breakfast, lunch or dinner, with one of the other activities is great. fWL also has many many activities, camp fire with chip and dale, then a movie. Archery about $20 a person. The barns and ponies and horses are all great. Expensive for a large group would be the horse back riding, $45 a person but less expensive would be a wagon ride, I think $6 a person.

One thing now at BC if you have children, I believe you can go into sandcastle daycare, sorry can’t leave children but they can go in with parents from I think 1to 3 and play and enjoy the club.

If you have kids or just like to collect things, ride all kinds of tranportation, they give out collectible cards on buses, ferries and monorails, try to collect them all. Stop and see several lobbies and look for tours at some of them, BWI use to have a tour at about 9:30 around the board walk. WL has a tour of the lodge I think around 3. AKL probably has one as well.

Take a walk to find things, or rent bikes. They probably don’t have the special right now at WL but maybe at another place that is under construction may, but when WL was under construction for more than a year, you could just take a bike, we took one and went thru the path from WL to FWL, saw lots of things, stopped to figure out the old water park that use to be there, saw the enterence. Then went around the barns and took the bus to the middle of the fort and walked around the store. Took two hours of fun family time of getting to connect again and laugh at mom and dad riding bikes.

Go to POR and POFQ and walk around, take a boat ride to down town Disney, take a moment to grab a beignet.

Go to AKL and out on the ledge to see animals on the savanna.

As other say water crafts are at most hotels.

Grab an ice cream at beaches and cream or better yet grab a kitchen sink and laugh over it with 10 spoons.

Go to mini golf, about $12 a person, my have coupons that time of year, we use to get some for before 4pm around jan.

Take a walk thru down town Disney or Disney springs.

Is Disney quest still open, that is fun for kids, and quite different from the theme parks, but again expense, probably more than $25 a person.

Hit up TRex, totally different experience for eating.

I’m sure there is more, but that’s all I can think of.

Disney Springs bowling and/or movie. Mini golf. Visit trader sams at Poly, it opens around 4 or 430, kids welcome. Go to grand Floridian and listen to the band in the lobby and go to bar in back of band for a drink. If you are a DVC member, take group up to top of Bay Lake for fireworks. If you have a large group and are paying, consider getting Tables in Wonderland card for 20 per cent off of food and alcohol, it covers up t0 8 or 10 people.

So sorry weather isn’t cooperating for your SAB day. If it’s going to be raining, you can always go to Disney Springs for a movie. Some of the AMC theatres have Fork & Dine. There’s also bowling. Mini golf if it’s not raining.

You could go to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, its incredibly beautiful and they a lot of activities there to keep people busy. You could spend 3 or so hours just checking out the savanna's.

AKL has food tours that are fun. No charge and learn about the foods in restaurants plus get samples

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter