Help me with my fear of Splash Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lap bar at the wdw ride? There isn't one at DL last week and even though I know it's physics, I still like to think it was my death grip on my 5 yr old DS that held him into the seat in front of me. I wish they had lap bars at DL?

My only advice to OP is to hold on tight and enjoy. It's scary but the ride is worth that 3(?) second drop.

Millions of people have been on Splash Mountain. Not one person has ever flown out. I'm sure you realize that Disney wouldn't operate the ride if that were in any way possible. The lap bar isn't there because it was possible for people to fly out without it. Occasionally, some teenager would think it was funny to climb out of the ride vehicle, which would stop the ride and require it to be reset.

The 'drop' isn't really a drop. It's just a ramp that you slide down, a taller, longer version of the little ramp in Pirates.

I was so afraid of that drop that I didn't ride SM in ten trips to Disneyworld. This trip my kids were older and there were four of us, so we committed to riding everything at least once. I loved it! The anticipation was the worst part. Just go for it and have fun!

To me it's always one that you don't realize how much there really is to it until you go on it again. The drop really isn't bad at all

I adore Splash Mountain! My favorite ride in Disney World. The beauty of it for me is, it's the most relaxing ride in the park, aside from three seconds of sheer adrenaline (such a great rush!) then it's relaxing again :).

Here's a trick our family used on our kids. Since the ride photo is a the top of the drop, we all focus on a funny pose for the camera . . . it gets your mind off the fall. Last time I pretended to be asleep, my wife acted bored out her mind and the boys acted overly excited. Before you realize it, the drop is over. It works!

OP: Splash is one of my favorite rides in the World. I don't like the big drop as well but it is over very quickly. It is a joke in my family as when we all ride it I like to get the picture but my face is always full of fear so it never turns out good, lol.

I know that horrible feeling of feeling like you're going to fly out. That's why I place my legs as far forward as possible and plant my feet as firmly as possible on the floor stretched out. Then I start counting-"One one thousand two one thousand". By the end of "two one thousand" we've splashed at the bottom. See what a scardy cat I am! But I love the ride now.

Think of it as a large slide. You are just going on a large slide. I am more concerned that I am going to get too wet! So I brace my legs and duck.

So many people miss out on the absolutely gorgeous scenes in this ride just because of the final drop. While it can be daunting, remember that the final drop is only 45 degrees (or 47, depending on who you ask). Take out a protractor, and you will see what a fairly gentle slope that actually is, very similar to the playground slides of our youth. Nothing to worry about at all, and the ride is SO worth the 3 seconds at the end.

The lap bar isn't there because it was possible for people to fly out without it. Occasionally, some teenager would think it was funny to climb out of the ride vehicle, which would stop the ride and require it to be reset.

Didn't I read that it was also added because some people would get so freaked out at the thought of that drop that they would climb out because they couldn't go through with it?

I think it all stems from my fear of heights. The last time I rode it was 1995!!! I was on my honeymoon and I cannot forget the awful feeling of my behind leaving my seat as we went over the edge.
(I closed my eyes and was sure I was a goner.:rotfl2:)

I know I'm crazy and its perfectly safe. So, I added it to our FP+ reservations for my DD (8) and I for our upcoming trip. Then went to bed and of course, dreamt that my (very light, skinny) DD flew out.

Talk some sense in me. Is the ride different now??? How do the law of physics make this ride perfectly safe???

I rode splash mountain with my (tall) 3.5 year old DS on one side and my 6 year old on the other. We all had a great time and no one fell out :)

When I was young, my brother took me to Rye Playland. His advice to me before going on the big coaster was to hold my breath going down, because the pressure on your stomach keeps things from sloshing around and getting nauseous. That's always worked for me.

Though now that I think about it, I wonder if he just said it to keep me from screaming in his ear. I wouldn't put it past him. That's what big brother's are like.

BTW, I'm surprised to see that Playland is still in business, including that old wooden coaster.

I love, love, love Splash Mountain. I look at the castle just before the fall, it's beautiful at night. A few times we caught the fireworks during the ride. Just pure Disney fun....look for the castle...it's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter