Help me win a battle against the family to stay on site!

Disney is a HUGE facility with several parks. Some in your party may not even realize that no one hotel is closest to every park. Even the topic of which parks to visit and how much time to spend at each one will not be the same for all 18
in your party. I would think since they have asked you to be the designated planner, you should prepare a list of alternatives/options (particularly for those who have never been there) and then have a meeting with all of the adults to finalize the plan. Even if your group has vacationed together in the past, what may have worked when the children were smaller may be different as they have gotten older. Clearly small children will just do what their parents want but that dynamic changes once they are in h.s. and have their own ideas of what they like to do. Some families may be the go-go-go types who want to be there when a park first opens, others may want to sleep in and go to the park later. Early park hours for on-site guests won't be much of a benefit to those who choose to sleep in. Extra parks hours after the end of a long park day may also not be appealing to others. Trying to plan a schedule that assumes everyone has the same interests and vacation style is not a good idea and will likely cause friction.

Even if some choose to rent houses, they can still go out to dinner and avoid the need to prepare meals. Renting a house doesn't mean you have to eat every meal there. It would be a mistake to think it is all up to you to plan a Disney vacation that meets everyone's needs and makes everyone happy. I don't think that is realistic, regardless of where else you have previously gone on vacation.

Last edited:
Since we are going in early October DVC is out of the question. We plan on still eating out and not cooking and as for cleaning I was under the impression that there would be no housekeeping either at Disney.
A few people mentioned saving money by staying at a Mod, because the deluxe prices are ridiculous. Plus you mentioned that staying offsite would not be as "magical", but since they have never been there, it will still be very magical to them. I think the teens hanging out is not an issue, because as long as there is a pool, I am willing to bet they would have no issues staying late in a pool:) Like other posts have mentioned, it's not the place that creates the memories its the family.

I skimmed this thread, so apologizes if I'm repeating others:

I think it's important to compromise with the family. $2000 per family is a lot, but also staying off site does take you out of the magic a bit. Even with the missing options, it's still different being in the Disney Bubble. I would suggest pricing out a moderate resort, OR looking into renting DVC. Hopefully all of you will be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

Not everyone will be keeping the same schedules for meals, parks, arrival and going back to the rental. You will need car/van rentals.
I say you do you, and let them organize the offsite rental. You can meet them at the resort(let them know what they are missing),or Park. You probably will be able to get in a couple of rides before they show up.
That way if they want to go the ocean, Universal etc., they can plan it .

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite, but I would not have understood the high price my 1st visit either. I do now.
You could check prices at Pop, AoA, FQ, for comparison for them.

Disney has/had help for large groups. You could check there.

Last edited:
Some concerns for staying offsite: the need for rental cars (and paying for parking), distance from parks, who is allowed to drive (rental cars and teenagers do not mix).

Some concerns for staying in a single house: privacy, sharing rooms, cleanliness (yes, room cleanings are very minimal at best, but if one family is really messy you will have to directly see it).

I’ve stayed offsite. I prefer onsite, but it made sense for those trips due to price difference and non-Disney activities. We also drive in, we don’t fly, so we already have a car and don’t have to deal with a rental.

I would not want to deal with sharing a house with so many people for more than just one or two nights.

You might see if the swan or dolphin have availability. They even have extra savings if you search their site for medical personal, military and teachers. With this hotel you can walk to 2 Parks and they qualify for both morning and evening extra hours! I am personally using the teacher rate in December and saving about 1,500 from a mod.

This is what is holding me back from straight on saying no to on-site resorts because even if this is two hours that will be huge in my opinion especially for the teens that want to stay out late and us old people can go back to hotel and chill

I suggest reading this thread, looking at reports from September to December:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...g-experiences-including-park-hopping.3807247/
I’m thinking early morning entry will be similar to this period, starting in October. Crowd levels have the potential to be half of what it is currently. Add the late extra hours and you’ll have a big potential to accomplish a lot.

Remember the Golden Rule from the Unofficial Guide:

“Time and Money are inversely proportional at WDW.”

So true. You can’t save one without spending the other when considering where to stay, onsite or offsite. I think the ability to easily go back mid-day can’t be overestimated. WDW is a trip that is great fun, but takes a lot out of people, too. Especially with the heat and humidity, which can be brutal in October. (See threads on the TB about distant parking and no trams in parking lots right now.)

We were at Disney last month and it is not exactly the same as it usually is, but it is still plenty magical, especially if you can get a good deal on where you are staying which helps make up for some of the shortcomings. Look around and think outside the box.

Personally I would not want to stay in a house with that many people. Or offsite. Have had a couple of stays offsite now and they were ok, but not the same. For us. Bonnet Creek is a good idea. (Technically it is not on property but it might as well be. Can’t speak for how transportation works from there, not sure if you‘d need a car.) What about the Good Neighbor Hotels near Disney Springs? (Ditto on the transportation.) Three cabins at FW? Renting points? Looking at Priceline for Disney resorts and checking in often? Pop Century rooms? Or Coronado Springs (which often seem to be discounted)? Swan/Dolphin? (More thoughts on that below.)

I totally agree with a pp that the HS kids will want to go off on their own somewhat. When mine were that age, they were all about that. Even now, post college, being onsite is most important to them so they can come and go on their own, and take a bus back if they want to have drinks at DS, for example. And I think it would be really fun for all of you to be in the same resort, at least. As another poster said, those memories are going to be talked about for a long time and it would be nice (and seems important to you) for your family to be included in that.

You might see if the swan or dolphin have availability. They even have extra savings if you search their site for medical personal, military and teachers. With this hotel you can walk to 2 Parks and they qualify for both morning and evening extra hours! I am personally using the teacher rate in December and saving about 1,500 from a mod.
Agree. Nurses also qualify. And if anyone in the group is 62 or older, the Senior Discount is even better. (I believe a Senior can rent up to three rooms using the discount; once there, people pay for their own rooms). Join SPG Rewards (not sure if it’s called something different now) and you get a free room upgrade, so can book the cheapest room. Lots of sites have discounts for S/D as well, including Priceline, which may be better than what you can get booking directly. You just have to play around with it. You will still get the Disney transportation, plus you can use AAA for discounts in some of their restaurants. The kids would love the pool complex and ability to rent surrey bikes and walk around the Boardwalk area, etc. It would definitely be magical! Remember there is a Resort Fee, but it includes WiFi, two enormous waters daily, a newspaper, and use of the health club, etc. They have a Spa, as well. Not sure if Room Service is operational now, but usually there is 24 hr room service, there are food options in the grill area late, if not all night, and they have Family Specials like a rotisserie chicken with sides that are relatively affordable for Disney. The food in the food court is decent, too. There is also an ice cream parlor/restaurant (The Fountain) as well as lots of other dining options, and a Quick Mart in the lobby now. Was there last month and the lobby bar was hopping, so not a bad place to stop for a nightcap, either.

I did what you are doing, OP, for a group of 30, which included three generations. We stayed at the Dolphin (and also did a Disney Cruise) and it was perfect. We all did different things but met up here and there, and for dinner, etc. Had pool time with everyone. It was fun seeing people around the resorts. Lots of pics, some had adjoining rooms, visits during rainstorms with blenders whirling, etc. DH has a great memory of his Dad (now gone). He went down to get us coffee at 6am and heard his Dad’s voice. He went into the grill area and his Dad, always an earlybird and who worked with food himself, was chatting up all the help in the kitchen and having a great time! It was one of those really special Disney moments that still brings a happy tear to DH’s eye.

At any rate, those are some of the things that I think have value on a trip like this. I wasn’t sure about the financial angle but it sounds from your recent post that they’d go with it if you could make the deal a little sweeter. I would probably show them costs of rental cars right now, as one example that matters. You would have to find your way to the S/D, but what we did was rent a small bus for our group. (Ours was a three way transportation.) You could also take the Mears shuttle there and back, but once you’re there, just use the Disney transportation. I wish you luck with your decision! I think the key is to lay out some of the options altogether to your group after finding something a little more reasonably priced than WL. Save that for a future trip for your own family. There are other less expensive options on site. You said it was their first trip, right? I remember being totally shocked at how overwhelming WDW was on our first trip, we had no idea of the layout, really, even after studying lots. I think for their first trip, they’ll appreciate being onsite if you can just find them something more affordable.

Trying to all stay and do things together is a recipe for rebellion. Let them have their own way to do WDW and you do it your way.

I don't really see any perks of staying on-site at the moment, other than possible early park entry (depending on your dates), MDE, and transportation between resorts and parks. However, if all the families already planned to rent cars, then I don't see the need in terms of transportation. With the additional info of Juniors and Sophmores, I think the perks of staying at a rental house with a pool / game room will outweigh staying onsite. They can be swimming or hanging out as late as they want to!

I think with a big group, I'd stay at a rental house instead and use the saved money for maybe an extra day of vacation, or checking out other places.

Wow, I didn't expect so many replies and will try to answer back to everyone. A couple of points I would make is

1. The reason for the trip is that we have about 6 Juniors, and 2 Sophomores (nieces, nephews, and my daughter) going and this is our last vacation with them before they graduate next year and are off to college. The point of this trip is to be together as much as possible and all the adults asked me to take on planning this trip since I have done it for our other vacations to Mexico, California, and Hawaii (which I don't mind at all). They aren't really mad or pushing back saying they can't afford it the spark that started the debate was my sister in law was listing to yesterdays dis unplugged episode with me in the car and she lightly asked in the group chat last night "Are you sure it worth it to stay at Disney?" If I really push back and say yes I'm sure it will be the end of it. I guess what's really bothering me is I know how much fun I had back on my first trip but it's really messing with my head about the current state of Disney resort perks and if I'm making the right decision.

2. The 2k savings is already taking into consideration each family having their own rental car for the trip. I had already told each family that there will be a specific time we need to meet in the lobby each park day and if they aren't there in time we are leaving them and they catch up with us in the park. which they all agreed to so I'm thinking it would play the same way at the rental house since each family will have their own car.

3. I'm pretty close to every one of my family's financial situation and I know they have the money and they wouldn't commit to this if they didn't, but I know with college coming up and everything a couple of them could use the 2k.

It just sucks because I can't get it out of my head that this won't be amazing unless we stay on-site and the decision is all on me
We have done both and Disney is always magical regardless of where you stay.

With a big group who has no idea what staying on property means for convenience and being in the bubble I would let them chose to stay off property. It’s their trip too and if they don’t want to spend the money I wouldn’t push it . Save the Wilderness Lodge stay for your family another time . It will be more magical when it’s just your family . Big groups are hard to please and it can be frustrating when everyone wants to do something different.Plan on breaking off into smaller groups so everyone can do something they are interested in . I hope you have an amazing time !

With a big group who has no idea what staying on property means for convenience and being in the bubble I would let them chose to stay off property. It’s their trip too and if they don’t want to spend the money I wouldn’t push it . Save the Wilderness Lodge stay for your family another time . It will be more magical when it’s just your family . Big groups are hard to please and it can be frustrating when everyone wants to do something different.Plan on breaking off into smaller groups so everyone can do something they are interested in . I hope you have an amazing time !
Excellent points. Trying to herd a group that big may become impossible. They may agree with the OPnow but once they get there things may change.

Sounds like a losing argument, tbh, primarily because of the significant increase in prices. Renting a vacation house is a great option. Still, if you're dead set against that, I would agree with others who suggest that reducing those costs by staying at a moderate would be a nice compromise between the "onsite camp" and the "off site" camp. FWIW, Port Orleans for example, is a beautiful resort in the bubble that feels very much deluxe, IMO. At the end of the day, it's about the whole group. Even if you are able to somehow convince them, there is likely to be some negative sentiment lingering, maybe even during the vacation itself.

Makes more sense if the perks justified the price. I can understand why you're receiving push back. If you must stay on property, then stay with your family there and meet folks in the parks. This is a super large group, so I can't see you all being together all the time.

We take a trip with extended family each year - usually 10 to 12 of us - and right now the only reason I can find for staying on site is transportation. We almost always end up splitting up into more groups than we have cars, and Disney's transportation lets us do that without worrying about who's going to be where and when.
That being said, we're booked in 3 rooms at Pop this year. I can't justify paying Deluxe or even Moderate prices right now.

we are big “on site” people. So I agree with you - being on-site is so nice. I guess I have a few thoughts.
- Your family mentioned if you stayed at a house you could also do the beach and universal. How many days will you be there? Even if you go for a week, I think it’s asking a lot to fit in those places and still have time to relax. So, to me those aren’t realistic possibilities (not to mention adding ticket costs if you did universal).
- Someone mentioned kids hanging out. I agree with this. In a house, the kids can’t really “get away” without driving around a strange city. At Disney they can hang in a completely different area of the resort from the parents and younger kids. There are several pools, Geyer Point, and arcade, etc. More room to let them spread out safely. In addition, the oldest kid’s could just hop the boat or a bus to the parks on their own, no need for young drivers to battle Orlando traffic.
3 - evening hours could be great, lower crowds, and less heat! Staying on site would let you do the parks in the am, take a pool break in the afternoon and head back and enjoy lower crowds in the evenings. Or, sleep in, take it easy and don’t go at all until mid day and plan to stay for the evening hours. Now, maybe these will be not so great, we’ll have to wait to read reports, but I feel like deluxe guests only - has to be a small amount of people compared to regular attendance.
4- being together, to me, means not having to constantly drive to and fro in separate cars.

So, for me, an offsite house would not be something I’d do. I’d consider moving to a moderate or value (I’ve stayed at every resort and own DVC, but we still do cash trips sometimes and stay moderate or value and they are still pretty awesome). You lose the evening hours, but you may be able to make up the 2K per family. Carribean Beach right on the skyliner is amazing. Art of Animation has the huge suites that sleep 6 and have 2 full bathrooms! Or, what about pricing out a different deluxe? Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing and sometimes less than Wilderness. Maybe Old Key West has some cash rooms available. If they had cash for some 2-3 bedroom places you’d have the added benefit of the kitchen and laundry too!

It’s a super personal decision. I think I’d try to narrow the gap by trying a different onsite hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter