Help me w/ my timer, please

AmyA

DIS Veteran
Hi,
I am relatively new to the DIS. I have tried to place the countdown timer in my signature, but it won't work. Javascript IS enabled, it looks fine in the preview, and it was C&P w/ no changes to my siggy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Just a suggestion -

If you copied and pasted the lines of code that were generated, the next step should be a post to test the code before it goes into your signature.

The test post would be fine here on the tech board and appropriate to be in this thread.

By testing it in a post, you can verify that it works Ok in a single post. If you add it your signature, it will affect all of the posts you've made in the past as well as those you make in the future. Some people have hundreds of posts (I'm one of those) and if there was a problem, it could be severe enough to bring down the Dis boards, or to degrade the performance.

After the test post is successful, you can add it to your signture.

From your description, it sounds like the changes to your signature were not saved. Sometimes the buttons at the bottom of the Edit Profile page are confusing. If you don't use the 'Submit Modifications' button, it ignores anything you have done. If you use the 'Reset Fields' button, it puts everything back to what it was before you changed it, and has the same action as if you just closed out of the page.

My suggestion would be to go thru it again and paste the new code into a post on this thread. If that is successful, then go to the page with the User Control Panel and Edit Profile, paste the code into your signature, and then click on the Save Modifications button.

If that doesn't work for you, post again and we'll try to help. Or contact the author of the Countdown generator, Psiklops, using the code generator links.

hope that helps

albiats,
Thanks for the suggestion. I also feel like it is something to do with it not being saved correctly in my signature. However, I am pretty sure I hit the "Submit Modifications" button. In fact, the entire code is there under my signature, it just doesn't work :confused:
OK, my C&P test should be below:
<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'September 10, 2002 12:00:00 PM CST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Lance\'s and Amy\'s first trip to the World (together):earseek::bounce:</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var tzo = (c.getTimezoneOffset() - d.getTimezoneOffset()) * 60;";theFunction += "var diff = ((c - d)/1000) + tzo;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'Hanging out at the Castle';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

OK, so there's nothing wrong with the code. For some reason it just won't work with my signature. I'll try another test post w/ a new C&P of the code that worked in the above post. Thanks again for your help, and here's hoping it works!

I just checked the compared the code side by side in my signature box and on the page where the script is generated. They are identical and I made sure I hit the "Submit Modifications" button, so if this doesn't work :mad: I'd really appreciate any further suggestions.
Thanks again!

Ok, my next suggestion would be to simplify the text that shows above the Countdown Timer. Sometimes special characters cause problems that are hard to define, much less fix.

How about removing the apostrophes and parenthses from your text above the timer, and the smilies? I'm suggesting that we get it to show up first and then add to it untilit stops showing up.

I know that smilies show up in other timers, but I'd rather get it to show up and then add them in later.

let us know how that works and we'll keep trying.

hth

If you could also check in your signature area, I have four options that all show they are 'on'. They're liste dto the left of the box where you can change your signature.

I have
VB Code is ON
HTML code is ON
IMG code is ON
Smiliesare ON

Just another thought, although I'm not quite sure how to change those settings, if we know they're different, it's a place to start.

hth

I'm going to try to duplicate your timer to see if I can 'break it' in my signature:

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 17, 2002 5:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Al\'s next cruise\'s ($99 Wonder):earseek::bounce:</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var tzo = (c.getTimezoneOffset() - d.getTimezoneOffset()) * 60;";theFunction += "var diff = ((c - d)/1000) + tzo;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'done';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Ok, well I basically duplicated your timer.

I used two apostrophes and I used parentheses and I used the same smilies, and I even kept my dollar sign, so I used special characters and smilies.

Now I'll go back and add more text so that it is about as long as yours appears.

next attempt to duplicate it :

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 17, 2002 5:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Al\'s and Bonnie\'s next cruise, we hope (on Oct 17 2002):earseek::bounce:</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var tzo = (c.getTimezoneOffset() - d.getTimezoneOffset()) * 60;";theFunction += "var diff = ((c - d)/1000) + tzo;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'done';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Ok, it didn't break when I pretty nuch duplicated your text. I can't imagine that the spelling of your names could make a difference.

I'm setting my Countdown Timer back to what I want now:

<Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'October 17, 2002 5:00:00 PM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln('<font size=2 color=darkblue>Next Cruise - Oct 17, 2002 - $99 Wonder Cruise</font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writeln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var tzo = (c.getTimezoneOffset() - d.getTimezoneOffset()) * 60;";theFunction += "var diff = ((c - d)/1000) + tzo;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'We Must be enjoying it!!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Ok, if you check those four options in your signature area and if they're all set to 'ON', I'm pretty much out of suggestions.

The next step would be to ask the author of the Coundown Timer and the generator screens for help. His name is Jim and his screen name on the Dis is Psiklops.

You can contact him using the links at the bottom of the screen on the Countdown Timer generator screen, the one that actually shows the code.

I'd be very curious to find out what the final solution is, so if you don't mind, please come back when it works and post what the problem was.

hope that helps

Al Biats,
Thanks again for your help. All of my 'things" are on (HTML, vbCode, etc) and I am attempting a very generic countdown in my sig. Hope it works!

All right---generic is better than nothing! I am going to try to add in the special characters that I want one at a time. I am going to try our naes first, b/c that is the only element that you did not duplicate in yours. Thanks again !

Well, I guess there's our answer! For some reason the code won't work with apostophes on our names in my sig. Oh well. Thanks for the help, I would have never thought to try adding in the special characters one at a time.

Hi Amy -

Very peculiar indeed! I used apostrophes when I was trying to duplicate it and it worked for me. I just didn't use your names, but that's hard to believe the letters in your names would make a difference, they're just a different code.

Well, like you said, generic is better than invisible.

If you'd like to pursue it further, you could contact Psiklops and ask him to investigate it.

You're welcome for my help.

Well, I finally got around to noticing this thread - sorry for the delay.

I have seen a few quirky things happen with Countdown Timers that work in some instances for some people and then they don't work in others.

I have found that certain browsers (Netscape in particular) and certain operating systems have problems with the escape-code sequence for an apostrophe (\'). The problems I've seen surround the fact that either the browser or the operating system isn't copying the backslash (\) over to the signature area. When this happens, the javascript thinks that the un-escaped single apostrophe (') is an end-of-text marker and thinks that everything after it is code. Then it tries to interpret it.

For example, if the text above your Countdown Timer was:
Well, that's all I have to say on the matter!

The javascript interpreter would grab the apostrophe in the line (the one in the word that's) and think it was at the end of the text. It would then try to interpret everything after the apostrophe (s all I have to say on the matter!) as code, throwing back an 'Undetermined String Constant' error.

Anyway, sorry if the answer there is a bit too technical - to summarize, it's a problem with either your browser's or your operating system's cut & paste feature, and I can't do much to help you there.

If you have Internet Explorer, try putting the Countdown Timer in through IE and then revert to your original browser.

Hope this helps! :)

- Jim

Jim -

I followed what you were saying, but just wondering about a couple of things:

If it thought the apostrophe was the end of text and interpreted everything after it as code, wouldn't there be some indication of an error, like what you indicated?

Amy didn't notice an error and she said she compared what was in her signature with what was generated line by line and it was identical. She said the code was there, but just didn't show up in the signature, like it hadn't been copied at all, which was my first guess.

I don't doubt for one second that it's a compatibility issue with the browser and or the operating system, but it seems more unusual than other ones have.

She's content with a timer showing up in her signature and has 'worded around' her first text.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter