Help me pick January dates!

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to visit in January for 3 days and are pretty flexible on travel days. I know this is all uncharted waters with COVID, but if you were going in January, what dates would you pick? We are hoping for slightly lower crowds if possible, but I know that's hard to predict. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

With Jan 1 being on a Saturday, I would say most people's vacations will probably wrap up on Sunday the 2nd.

I would avoid around the Dr. Martin Luther King weekend. It is a great long weekend for many. Additionally, most of the schools in our area (NC) end their fall semester the week leading up to MLK. By us, the Friday before is a finals make up day, so many of the older kids really have that day off. And since they do finals in the morning here, it means people like us can be on the road by noon on Thursday.

Further, the Tuesday after MLK is a teacher workday (basically for them to finish grading the finals). In some school districts, so is Wednesday. So many people turn it into a four, five or six day weekend.

Two other points. I think RunDisney does one of their runs the second weekend in January. Not sure if those have restarted or not (I am not a runner). The Disney Skyliner between Caribbean Beach Resort, Riviera Resort, and Epcot will be closed for refurbishment from January 23, 2022 to January 28, 2022. These may or may not impact your plans...

Other than those weekends to watch out for, I think you are safe any time the rest of the month.

We are hoping to visit in January for 3 days and are pretty flexible on travel days. I know this is all uncharted waters with COVID, but if you were going in January, what dates would you pick? We are hoping for slightly lower crowds if possible, but I know that's hard to predict. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Are you asking for advice at Disneyland or DisneyWorld?

With Jan 1 being on a Saturday, I would say most people's vacations will probably wrap up on Sunday the 2nd.

I would avoid around the Dr. Martin Luther King weekend. It is a great long weekend for many. Additionally, most of the schools in our area (NC) end their fall semester the week leading up to MLK. By us, the Friday before is a finals make up day, so many of the older kids really have that day off. And since they do finals in the morning here, it means people like us can be on the road by noon on Thursday.

Further, the Tuesday after MLK is a teacher workday (basically for them to finish grading the finals). In some school districts, so is Wednesday. So many people turn it into a four, five or six day weekend.

Two other points. I think RunDisney does one of their runs the second weekend in January. Not sure if those have restarted or not (I am not a runner). The Disney Skyliner between Caribbean Beach Resort, Riviera Resort, and Epcot will be closed for refurbishment from January 23, 2022 to January 28, 2022. These may or may not impact your plans...

Other than those weekends to watch out for, I think you are safe any time the rest of the month.
The last paragraph refers to transportation modes at DisneyWorld.

For Disneyland and California Adventure..
One thing to keep in mind is when the Christmas Holiday ends several rides go down for refurbishment.

Are you asking for advice at Disneyland or DisneyWorld?

The last paragraph refers to transportation modes at DisneyWorld.

For Disneyland and California Adventure..
One thing to keep in mind is when the Christmas Holiday ends several rides go down for refurbishment.
I'm asking for Disneyland. Sorry for the confusion for the PP! I do appreciate the advice about holidays though, good to keep in mind.

And thanks for the info about Christmas rides going down. That's not too much of a concern for us.

I'm asking for Disneyland. Sorry for the confusion for the PP! I do appreciate the advice about holidays though, good to keep in mind.

And thanks for the info about Christmas rides going down. That's not too much of a concern for us.
It's not just the rides converted for the holidays.
It's not uncommon for water rides to close during Jan-Feb too for refurbishments.

Weekday park hours are generally shorter.
9am or 10am opening times and closing either 8pm or 9pm.
Weekend park hours are usually longer.

Entertainment options are less through the week than on weekends.

So sorry, I missed the group that I was in. Yes, everything I said I was thinking about Disney World.

It ***may*** be the same or similar at Disney Land.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip...

Are there certain things that you 100% want to see?

Christmas season goes through 1/9 (I *think*; whatever that Monday is). After that, Haunted Mansion Holiday will be down for 10 days or so to return to the regular HM. It's a small world Holiday will go down usually a day after HM returns, and close for about 10 days.

Splash, Grizzly, and Canoes will go into refurb. Usually one of the Rivers of America water crafts will go into dry dock.

All this being said, I still often go near the end of the month. Crowds are typically lower since everyone is just a few weeks back to school.

Be ready for unpredictable weather. Some years I'm bundled up in my parka and beanie and mittens, and other times I'm in capri pants and t-shirts until the sun sets.

Convention calendar looks pretty empty…I’d probably go January 21-23 (or 28-30 as backup).

FWIW, flight from SMF to SNA RT is cheaper on 1/21-1/23 if you’re doing late Friday arrival and late Sunday return ($185 vs $247 RT).

Are there certain things that you 100% want to see?

Christmas season goes through 1/9 (I *think*; whatever that Monday is). After that, Haunted Mansion Holiday will be down for 10 days or so to return to the regular HM. It's a small world Holiday will go down usually a day after HM returns, and close for about 10 days.

Splash, Grizzly, and Canoes will go into refurb. Usually one of the Rivers of America water crafts will go into dry dock.

All this being said, I still often go near the end of the month. Crowds are typically lower since everyone is just a few weeks back to school.

Be ready for unpredictable weather. Some years I'm bundled up in my parka and beanie and mittens, and other times I'm in capri pants and t-shirts until the sun sets.
We haven't been since COVID so I'll be happy just to see anything! Water rides aren't a deal breaker since it may or may not be too cold to get soaked. We are really just aiming for lowest crowds and cool weather. I was considering a December stay, but didn't want soul crushing crowds for our reintroduction to Disneyland.

It's not just the rides converted for the holidays.
It's not uncommon for water rides to close during Jan-Feb too for refurbishments.

Weekday park hours are generally shorter.
9am or 10am opening times and closing either 8pm or 9pm.
Weekend park hours are usually longer.

Entertainment options are less through the week than on weekends.
I forgot about shorter park hours, thank you for pointing that out. I'm thinking of a Wednesday - Saturday visit (parks Wednesday, arriving late morning - Friday, leaving Saturday) so we would have some early closings. That's not a deal breaker either. It would just likely keep us from taking a lengthy midday break.

Last edited:
Convention calendar looks pretty empty…I’d probably go January 21-23 (or 28-30 as backup).

FWIW, flight from SMF to SNA RT is cheaper on 1/21-1/23 if you’re doing late Friday arrival and late Sunday return ($185 vs $247 RT).

View attachment 613495
Thanks for checking out the convention calendar! That's helpful. I'm thinking the very end of January is looking good.

Do make sure you have a Friday or Saturday (or both) in the parks as hours will be slightly longer and you’ll have the nighttime entertainment, hopefully including fireworks.

Do make sure you have a Friday or Saturday (or both) in the parks as hours will be slightly longer and you’ll have the nighttime entertainment, hopefully including fireworks.
We are planning on a visit with at least a Friday full park day. We may just extend our stay a bit longer than usual and do a Saturday as well. I think our approach will be a bit different so I want to provide a bit of cushion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter