Help me pick a hotel!!

remyvisitsDLR

Earning My Ears
Hey all, so I need some help picking out a hotel for a WDW visit. This will be our second time going, with a smaller group this time around as opposed to our first trip in 2021 with our whole immediate family. There will be 4 of us, and we’re looked to go from sep 7-11, looking at the grand floridian, the polynesian, and the contemporary. For those of you who’ve stayed at any of these resorts, which would you recommend?? We’re looking for a theme park view (if one becomes available, but would even go for a lagoon view), and we’re mostly looking at the grand floridian, with contemporary after that and the polynesian after that. We’ve heard great things about all, but would like some feedback from some of you guys! TIA!

GF is mid-refurb right now so that would be my vote as it will probably have the nicest rooms of the three as I’m assuming it will be done by Sept- however I don’t think they’ve started the lobby remodel yet so maybe not? Poly is on my avoid list until the DVC tower is done.

Hey all, so I need some help picking out a hotel for a WDW visit. This will be our second time going, with a smaller group this time around as opposed to our first trip in 2021 with our whole immediate family. There will be 4 of us, and we’re looked to go from sep 7-11, looking at the grand floridian, the polynesian, and the contemporary. For those of you who’ve stayed at any of these resorts, which would you recommend?? We’re looking for a theme park view (if one becomes available, but would even go for a lagoon view), and we’re mostly looking at the grand floridian, with contemporary after that and the polynesian after that. We’ve heard great things about all, but would like some feedback from some of you guys! TIA!
We’ve stayed at all 3. All have great theming, great restaurants, and great pool areas. But they are all different too. So to choose, I might look into what restaurants with and without experiences would you like to go to, which pool looks more fun, and what are you wanting for theme?
Benefit of Contemporary is its proximity and view from the restaurant. Stay in the tower if you pick there.
A benefit of GF is theme park view is uninterrupted by roads and barbed wire.
Benefit of Poly is fun theme and view.
But you can’t go wrong with those 3.

We only stayed at the Polynesian and I absolutely loved it. My daughter still talks about the Moana themed rooms

We’ve stayed at all 3. All have great theming, great restaurants, and great pool areas. But they are all different too. So to choose, I might look into what restaurants with and without experiences would you like to go to, which pool looks more fun, and what are you wanting for theme?
Benefit of Contemporary is its proximity and view from the restaurant. Stay in the tower if you pick there.
A benefit of GF is theme park view is uninterrupted by roads and barbed wire.
Benefit of Poly is fun theme and view.
But you can’t go wrong with those 3.
Done some research on the dining, and it’s definitely between GF and polynesian! Contemporary seems okay at best, but nothing too mind blowing (besides the dining at the top of the tower!).
We don’t have a lot of theming here at DL in terms of hotels, but the disneyland hotel is the best IMO, but even then our theming is a stark contrast from the resorts over there. We aren’t big pool people (full park days! :yay:). However, the views really matter to us, as we always do a view of the park in some capacity, it’s just so beautiful at night! If it’s not too much to ask, does anyone know if the view of seven seas lagoon at GF is specifically a view of the lagoon or can you also get a glimpse of the park? As of right now, there isn’t a specific theme park view at the GF for our dates, but hopefully one will pop up. If not, we’ll do a theme park view at one of the other two

We only stayed at the Polynesian and I absolutely loved it. My daughter still talks about the Moana themed rooms
Oh cool! Is the moana theme felt throughout the entire resort or just the rooms? We have a member of our party who adores Moana!

Done some research on the dining, and it’s definitely between GF and polynesian! Contemporary seems okay at best, but nothing too mind blowing (besides the dining at the top of the tower!).
We don’t have a lot of theming here at DL in terms of hotels, but the disneyland hotel is the best IMO, but even then our theming is a stark contrast from the resorts over there. We aren’t big pool people (full park days! :yay:). However, the views really matter to us, as we always do a view of the park in some capacity, it’s just so beautiful at night! If it’s not too much to ask, does anyone know if the view of seven seas lagoon at GF is specifically a view of the lagoon or can you also get a glimpse of the park? As of right now, there isn’t a specific theme park view at the GF for our dates, but hopefully one will pop up. If not, we’ll do a theme park view at one of the other two
I think GF with what you’re saying. Great views. It’s modeled off of Hotel Coronado in San Diego. Best dining too. I think you’re set.

Is that construction affecting the resort itself?

The construction area is at the edge of the resort between the Poly and GF, so the walking path between the two resorts has been diverted. If you book a standard view room on the hotel side, you run the risk of looking out over the site, because a couple of buildings have a direct view from those rooms. Pool/marina and TPV are safer as they are facing other directions, but you could potentially hear noise during the day in Fiji, which is closer to that side of the resort. We are booked Pool/Marina view for the end of May and will be requesting Samoa, which is not near it. But as far as just walking around the resort, unless you're in that part of it you wouldn't know they were doing it.

You can see the castle, and the view is slightly closer than the one from the Poly since GF is a bit closer. The Deluxe King TPV rooms in the main building have a straight on view of the castle for fireworks, actually (I was in one a couple of years ago, sadly before the fireworks came back). But there is a lot of construction going on at GF right now, so that's something to bear in mind. Hopefully most will be done by your dates but the lobby is going to be redone and we haven't heard news on any sort of timeframe for it.

Oh cool! Is the moana theme felt throughout the entire resort or just the rooms? We have a member of our party who adores Moana!

Mostly in the rooms, but there are very light touches in the halls. The sundries shop Moana Mercantile in the Great Ceremonial House long predates the movie ("Moana" literally just means "ocean" in several Polynesian dialects) but there is usually a lot of merch there.

FWIW having stayed at both, they are my favorite 2 resorts on property and you really can't go wrong with either. I would be more inclined to choose Poly over GF right now just because the construction at the latter is much more disruptive to the resort as a whole because it's more extensive than at the Poly; they will very shortly be closing the walkway to MK for a while, as an example. Things can definitely change between now and September but I would be more inclined to stay at the Poly. They are so close to each other that you have easy access to dining, shopping, etc. at both regardless of where you actually stay.

If there are children in your travel party I would choose the Poly or the Contemporary. If all are adults, then Grand Floridian. All three are monorail resorts and so transportation is good. Where did you stay on your first trip?

The construction area is at the edge of the resort between the Poly and GF, so the walking path between the two resorts has been diverted. If you book a standard view room on the hotel side, you run the risk of looking out over the site, because a couple of buildings have a direct view from those rooms. Pool/marina and TPV are safer as they are facing other directions, but you could potentially hear noise during the day in Fiji, which is closer to that side of the resort. We are booked Pool/Marina view for the end of May and will be requesting Samoa, which is not near it. But as far as just walking around the resort, unless you're in that part of it you wouldn't know they were doing it.

You can see the castle, and the view is slightly closer than the one from the Poly since GF is a bit closer. The Deluxe King TPV rooms in the main building have a straight on view of the castle for fireworks, actually (I was in one a couple of years ago, sadly before the fireworks came back). But there is a lot of construction going on at GF right now, so that's something to bear in mind. Hopefully most will be done by your dates but the lobby is going to be redone and we haven't heard news on any sort of timeframe for it.

Mostly in the rooms, but there are very light touches in the halls. The sundries shop Moana Mercantile in the Great Ceremonial House long predates the movie ("Moana" literally just means "ocean" in several Polynesian dialects) but there is usually a lot of merch there.

FWIW having stayed at both, they are my favorite 2 resorts on property and you really can't go wrong with either. I would be more inclined to choose Poly over GF right now just because the construction at the latter is much more disruptive to the resort as a whole because it's more extensive than at the Poly; they will very shortly be closing the walkway to MK for a while, as an example. Things can definitely change between now and September but I would be more inclined to stay at the Poly. They are so close to each other that you have easy access to dining, shopping, etc. at both regardless of where you actually stay.
Thanks for the detailed reply! We’re really considering Grand Floridian now, but if there’s still construction in September then that’s a bummer! Do you know if its affecting more the interior or the exterior of the hotel? We’ll be okay with the exterior

Thanks for the detailed reply! We’re really considering Grand Floridian now, but if there’s still construction in September then that’s a bummer! Do you know if its affecting more the interior or the exterior of the hotel? We’ll be okay with the exterior
You're welcome! They are currently refurbishing the rooms building by building so it's mostly interior work, but there are some impacts to the exterior. The walkway to MK is closed because of construction on one of the nearby buildings. There is also the lobby refurbishment to consider. We don't know when that work will begin. I would be more concerned about that tbh, because of the potential impact to dining and monorail transportation.

If there are children in your travel party I would choose the Poly or the Contemporary. If all are adults, then Grand Floridian. All three are monorail resorts and so transportation is good. Where did you stay on your first trip?
There won’t be any children that are too young, but the monorail is a big thing we’re considering too! We stayed at the Swan last time, but we were originally considering bay lake tower, only switched because we figured it would be better to be closer to three parks as opposed to one

GF all the way! We had a theme park view room there and it was incredible. We could watch the fireworks at night from our balcony. I’ve also stayed at the Poly, but I don’t love the theming and the upper level where the restaurants are feels like a mall to me. I also prefer the restaurants at GF. Even the CS is superb!

ALL three resorts are wonderful! TPV is more beautiful from the GF or the Poly as the TPV at the CR also overlooks the parking lot and the bus stops. The GF views of the MK are my personal favourite, although I love TPV from all three.

Balcony: If you want a balcony, some rooms at the Poly (second floor) may have a sliding patio door opening to a rail, but no balcony. I believe that all (or very nearly all) of the GF rooms have a balcony, but some upper floor rooms have dormer balconies that are enclosed around the bottom. All the CR tower rooms have a large open balcony.

Access to the monorail. The CR is the first stop for the monorail, the Polynesian is the second stop and the GF is the last stop of the monorail before the MK stop.

Both the Poly and the GF share a boat to the MK, as well as a walkway. The CR has only the walkway and the monorail to the MK. The walk from the CR to the MK is fairly short. I haven't stayed at the GF or the poly since they opened up the walkway, so I'm not sure how long it is. However, it looks like it would have to be longer than that from the CR. The longest walk would likely be from the Polynesian.

Epcot monorail: If you stay at the CR you will have to change monorails at the TTC. There is a walkway from the poly to the TTC so that you can take the Epcot monorail easily from there. You can walk from the GF to the TTC as well, but you will have a longer walk. otherwise you can take the resort monorail to the TTC and change to the Epcot monorail as you do from the CR.

Room decor: Pictures are available online of the rooms at the three resorts. Some people greatly prefer one over the others. My personal favourites are the GF or the CR rooms.

Lagoon view at the GF is a view that does not look at the MK. many TPV rooms are side views (not directly in front of you). If you want to see the MK, you will want a TPV room. That said, the lagoon views are often lovely at the GF and the MK fireworks can easily be seen from the marina area at the GF.

Construction at a resort always bothers me, personally. If there is construction going on at any resort, then I always try to know about it and avoid staying at that resort. Just my opinion, of course. that said, the new DVC at the Polynesian is between the Gf and the Poly and is far enough away that I think that I would not be particularly impacted by that during a stay at either.

Good luck choosing your resort. You really won't go wrong with whichever one that you choose. They are all fantastic places to stay!

I adore GF. Just loved it, which surprised me because I was a die hard Poly or BC/YC person all the way before our stay.

I still love Poly. I just found it a wee bit busier compared to GF and not as relaxing despite the gorgeous tropical theme throughout the grounds.

However, my teens and other family (siblings, parent) like the Poly above GF for a variety of reasons lol.

Personally, I’d with go with the resort that had the best rate. The great thing about both is that the other is easy to walk to for dining and exploring. Did that every stay at both, because getting away to one for shopping in the lobby, drinks, strolling, dinner, etc…just a nice change of pace and so convenient.

Access to the monorail. The CR is the first stop for the monorail, the Polynesian is the second stop and the GF is the last stop of the monorail before the MK stop.
Thanks for the very detailed reply! One question though: with the GF being the last stop, is there usually plenty of room still on the monorail or would we potentially be waiting a while?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter