Help Me Make Dinner

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
I made baked boneless chicken thighs the other day, and I want to use up the leftovers today. I'd like to do something more interesting than just warming it up and plopping it on a plate again, but healthier than drowning it in cream sauce in a casserole.

So, what's your favorite leftover chicken meal?

Can you use them in a soup, a salad or even with a bunch of veggies in chicken fried rice?

And you've got an awful lot of nerve asking me to help you make dinner. I haven't been out to eat in weeks, I've suddenly got two extra people living here full time, and I'm tired of cooking and cleaning up afterwards.

We're not much of meat eaters here, but my grandmother was notorious for adding tomato sauce, seasoning and cheese to chicken leftovers.

Can you use them in a soup, a salad or even with a bunch of veggies in chicken fried rice?

And you've got an awful lot of nerve asking me to help you make dinner. I haven't been out to eat in weeks, I've suddenly got two extra people living here full time, and I'm tired of cooking and cleaning up afterwards.
Boy, I hear you. 2 adult children still living at home, currently furloughed. Typically they do their own meals, but I set the precedent immediately, as soon as the home isolation started - I make one meal (dinner) every day, eat it or not, your choice. Except Saturday - Saturday is every man for himself. But I'm doing more dishes than I used to. We did pick up McDonald's one day, though.

Back to the question - I like the chicken & rice suggestion. Beef it up with some extra veggies and you're good to go.

I made baked boneless chicken thighs the other day, and I want to use up the leftovers today. I'd like to do something more interesting than just warming it up and plopping it on a plate again, but healthier than drowning it in cream sauce in a casserole.

So, what's your favorite leftover chicken meal?
Cut them up and make chicken fried rice.

My mom cuts it up into chicken noodle soup.

I like the stirfry idea. That's probably what I'd do. Well, for just me, I'd cut it up and make some nice chicken sandwiches.

I am grilling boneless chicken thighs tonight - they are marinating as we speak. There are only two of us and the package was 1.8 pounds. Tomorrow night we will cut up the remainder and probably have it in corn tortillas. I have tomatoes, cheese avoacado, salsa, chips. I could also make a side salad and or rice.

Boy, I hear you. 2 adult children still living at home, currently furloughed. Typically they do their own meals, but I set the precedent immediately, as soon as the home isolation started - I make one meal (dinner) every day, eat it or not, your choice. Except Saturday - Saturday is every man for himself. But I'm doing more dishes than I used to. We did pick up McDonald's one day, though.

Back to the question - I like the chicken & rice suggestion. Beef it up with some extra veggies and you're good to go.

One daughter has returned home from college, one daughter elected to return to MI and work out of her office branch here shortly before things shutdown and now she's working from our home. It's the first time in 8 years we've all lived under the same roof for more than a week and a half over college breaks, and it will probably be the last so we're all trying to remember that so not to be impatient about being together so much. Unfortunately 4 slightly staggered schedules is a blessing and a curse. Everybody pitches in here and there, but the bulk of the effort planning and executing meals is on me. Four adults eating three meals a day at home generates a lot of cleanup and I think I'm just not used to it anymore. We're fortunate to all be healthy and still employed, so can't really complain.

My initial suggestions were already mentioned. (soup, dumpling, fried rice, Mexican)

But I will throw one more idea out there. If you have 2 cans of broccoli cheese soup and fresh/frozen broccoli here's what you can do. Sautee a little onion and sliced carrots in butter. Once soft add the 2 cans of soup, along with half a can of milk (or water). Once heated throughly, add the broccoli and the cooked diced chicken. Simmer until broccoli is cooked. Serve over rice.

Shred them and...
-make into chicken salad sandwiches or in tomatoes
-mix with buffalo sauce
-mix with some taco seasoning for tacos or nachos or quesadillas
-chicken pot pie with canned/frozen veggies and whop biscuits

Here leftover chicken gets shredded and goes into a spaghetti sauce. But the fried rice sounds good too! (I've only made it once many years ago!)

I love making stir fry and/or fried rice. You can change up the flavor profile by using different sauces or seasonings, and I switch up the veggies everytime. It basically becomes whatever meat I have leftover and whatever veggies need to be used up in the fridge. It's easy, tastes great every time, and is easy clean up.

My favorite thing to do with leftover chicken is quesadillas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter