Help me get my Planning Head on!

Sencybil

SSR again October 2016....
We’re going for (an extended) October half term. A week on the Gulf Coast with family, 10 days at WDW. My 180 day window opens in about a month. Beyond booking the flights and the hotel / tickets / free dining deal. I’ve done nothing.

When we went in 2013, by this stage I had a huge spreadsheet. I’d researched past year’s crowd calendars well in advance of that year's opening hours being released, knew pretty much every dish on every restaurant menu including QS. I had a draft plan, and a backup plan – for if I couldn’t get the hardest-to-get restaurant reservations exactly when I wanted them, and another backup plan if the opening hours / MNSSHP weren’t quite what I was expecting them to be. I knew where I wanted to spend every dining plan credit, pretty much down to the last snack credit, and I’d read every post on here and on easywdw going back for about 2 years. I was even holding 2 car hire reservations (that could be cancelled for no cost)

I just can’t find the energy to gear up to such levels again. I’ve just now made a rough list of restaurants – the ones we enjoyed most last time and I’d like to revisit plus ones we didn’t visit last time plus new ones that have opened since, but I have no idea how to narrow them down into an actual plan. I know DDP has changed, but I’m not up on the exact details and how this might affect our choices (e.g. QS x is a great choice now because you can swap the rubbish dessert for the excellent soup sort of thing). I need to gear up on FP Tier choices and work out how many days in which park……..and frankly I just wish someone else would sort it all out for me.

Its not a once in a lifetime trip (which I approached 2013 as if it might be) but equally we won’t be going back annually, so I don’t want to just leave it to chance and take walk ins / reservations available on the day etc but……urgh….I’ve got lazy!

Sencybil x

I don't think the vast majority of reservations are as difficult to get as they used to be since they started charging the no-show fee. The main hassle is definitely fast pass plus because you have to pre-guess your park preferences each day. We always divide up our adr choices so we get an equal choice each - then divide them between new and old favourites.

I'm going in October too and I'm like you - tickets, flights, hotel and free dining booked but not much else. I have made a plan of what restaurants I want in the evenings and I will get up at 4am () to book the ADRs, but that's as far as I'm going. I'm not going out of my way to research busy days and planning what day I want each restaurant for - I'll take whatever days are available on booking day. As long as I have an evening meal booked that's all I'm bothered about. I'm trying to be slightly more chilled about it all this time around!

I used to plan quite carefully but don't do it in anywhere near as much detail. I book flights at 11 months out, hotel when there's a good discount (usually bounceback or AP) and fastpasses at 60 days but I don't get up early. I book some of our favourite restaurants at 180 days but never plan which parks to go to on certain days anymore. I might book the odd special event such as MVMCP but take the rest of the holiday as it comes. Good luck with your planning!

Here is my thought on this thread..

You are a few years older & more mature ( No offence )

You are thinking of enjoying your holiday rather than needing another one when you arrive home.

Relax the world will still go around even if you have Not kept to your strict timetable .

In 15 years of going to Florida ( Twice a year ) I have been to Disney only a few times ...... sad I know .but

we do enjoy The Boardwalk & Disney Springs. ( Had very few meals there .... as we eat off site or at our Villa )

We do travel to other parts of Florida & see & enjoy the real Florida.

Just plan what you think you might do ..... & Relax .... go with the flow.

Well you don't need to do as much this time as you know a lot.

I tend to have a plan of restaurants just before the 180 days mark - as we do mostly dinners it doesn't matter about parks so much. As for order, I space out our favourites and just slot the rest in :thumbsup2

I get a more firm plan before the 60 day mark for FPs - including parks and rides for the FP booking. If I need to I switch any ADRs at this point.

Thank you for your replies. You're right about dinners not needing to be linked to park days - except of course for tying in with late night hours and the evening entertainment, which there is more to consider now with Rivers of light...... And sadly in terms of 'dividing up our ADR choices' - If I don't do it no one will ;-)

It will be ok, you r there ,you have a bed and park tickets. I'm sure it will all come together

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter