• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me get 6 kids to Disneyland!

Looks like we will be leaving DCA for dinner. We have the break entered in to our Ride max plan from 4pm-7pm. The family decided on some Mexican food place called EL Torito.

I compiled a list of all the great tips I have gotten so far. I also went ahead and purchased RIDEMAX to help ensure we wait less in lines.

*Based on everyone's Feed back left out Six flags and added a third day to Disney
*Eat breakfast at home or in the SUV. Fruit. Bagels. Granolas. Etc
*Bring lunch / sandwiches. Put them in a DL or DCA locker along with some ice to keep things cool.
*Take advantage of photopass (already ordered)
* Disneyland.com has prices on all their menus. That way I can budget the amount for food (dinner)
*If you really have to do Knott's Berry Farm, go there before you go to Disneyland (The last day of Disney will be day before we leave)
*true IMAX at Ontario Mills mall that could be fun for something to do *thank you SMD for this one.. Looks like Jurrasic park will be playing
*Take advantae of FP and riderswap
*Take my dino lover nephew on Disneyland Railroad. He will love the dinosaur part
*No need to bring in water since you can get it free at any counter service restaurant
*plaza inn for dinner. best chicken around and a great value for the money
*On Magic Morning make sure we are there early as suggested. Then I would head to Fantasyland first
*Don't forget to get some of the Magic Shots with PP+ while you're in the parks

The tips I went against lol

Seemed like there was a lot of suggestions to not go to Universal, but after looking at Simpsons Land, Minion Rush, Transformers, and Jurrassic Park I still have decided that we will be going here.

two things one trip related one funny.

still bring a bottle of water, if for nothing else while your in line at the front and fill it up at the baby changing station when your out so when in lines for rides you have it.

2. -Jurassic Park... My son has talked me in to 3d. His way was back and forth to school looking at his dad. "come on dad 3D dinosaur. Like 5 days in a row and we finely gave in. Thank goodness for Bing rewards and swag

Just a thought: El Torito (basic chain Mexican, so nothing special) is not right by the parks. It is at Ball Rd. and State College, about 10 minutes drive from the park once you leave the resort property. Have you looked at the menu for Tortilla Jo's in DtD? Or for the taqueria next to it? That would save you having to troop to the car and then having to repark after dinner. If you get an outside table, you can people watch in DtD. If the Mariachi Divas (Grammy winners!) are playing inside, that could be fun.

With only three days in the park, I wouldn't leave to go to a chain Mexican restaurant. You'll have to leave the park, take the tram to your car, load up, drive over, wait, eat, drive back, take the tram, and get back into the parks. That's several hours. With only three days, that's quite a time waste. There's a nice Mexican place in DTD or the one in DLR. I would say the DTD one is much better than El Torito, which I find mediocre at best, personally. It's like Olive Garden for Mexican restaurants.

If you do want to go to a Mexican place offsite, there are quite a few more authentic places in SoCal. But there are so many great options at DLR... I don't understand leaving the parks and driving far off.

ETA- I see theluckyrabbit also had the same thought. :)

Last edited:

With only three days in the park, I wouldn't leave to go to a chain Mexican restaurant. You'll have to leave the park, take the tram to your car, load up, drive over, wait, eat, drive back, take the tram, and get back into the parks. That's several hours. With only three days, that's quite a time waste. There's a nice Mexican place in DTD or the one in DLR. I would say the DTD one is much better than El Torito, which I find mediocre at best, personally. It's like Olive Garden for Mexican restaurants.

If you do want to go to a Mexican place offsite, there are quite a few more authentic places in SoCal. But there are so many great options at DLR... I don't understand leaving the parks and driving far off.

I'm using Ridemax and it shows that we can ride everything we want by 12pm in the afternoon (getting there at rope drop) and have free time from 12-7pm, so I figured we can go to dinner from 4-7. As for why that was chosen its what was recommended by my brother who lives there since the kids love that place. I also figured it would give them a break from Hamburgers, Chicken nuggets, and Pizza food. I will re evaluate it though.

I would of considered just calling it quits at 5pm but none of us have seen WOC and I havent heard the end of it from Wifey since the last time we visited and I caused us to miss it. Last time we were there I was a little tired and said "I heard it wasnt even that good" so we left early. Turns out everyone and there momma loves the show and told my wife how amazing it is.

Wife and I did not really care for it last time we were there. Might have been what we ordered but Ill check out the menu again
White Water Snacks has nachos, a carnitas burger and a chicken sandwich with ortega chiles and guacamole. I'm really not a fan of Rancho del Zocalo, Cocina Cucamonga or Tortilla Jo's (have only been to the taqueria.) But I wouldn't leave the resort for Mexican food with only 1 day in DCA.

I'm using Ridemax and it shows that we can ride everything we want by 12pm in the afternoon (getting there at rope drop) and have free time from 12-7pm, so I figured we can go to dinner from 4-7. As for why that was chosen its what was recommended by my brother who lives there since the kids love that place. I also figured it would give them a break from Hamburgers, Chicken nuggets, and Pizza food. I will re evaluate it though.

I would of considered just calling it quits at 5pm but none of us have seen WOC and I havent heard the end of it from Wifey since the last time we visited and I caused us to miss it. Last time we were there I was a little tired and said "I heard it wasnt even that good" so we left early. Turns out everyone and there momma loves the show and told my wife how amazing it is.

Just my thoughts, but I would take the Ridemax with a grain of salt. I would also consider that maybe there are other activities to enjoy that maybe haven't been added in (my older DD absolutely loves taking the drawing class at Animation Academy... she will often sit for two hours straight drawing, not that many kids can do that, but one class can be fun!) because they are not as popular or well known. It's a lot of effort to leave the parks and return. Relaxing somewhere in DTD might be more fun and easier. We personally love Storytellers for lunch or dinner when we are at DCA- it's a nice, quiet break, and we often head into the GC lobby to relax a bit and cool off. It could be fun to let each kid pick their "do it one more time" ride, too. Just a thought.

Also, my kids don't eat burgers, nuggets, or pizza any of the time we are there (they don't like the first two and prefer not to order the third when other options are available), so I'm sure there are lots of options they could find at any of the DTD places. We do like Tortilla Joe's. We don't love it, but it's fine.

Wife and I did not really care for it last time we were there. Might have been what we ordered but Ill check out the menu again

I don't either. ;) And I adore Mexican food.

Just my thoughts, but I would take the Ridemax with a grain of salt. I would also consider that maybe there are other activities to enjoy that maybe haven't been added in (my older DD absolutely loves taking the drawing class at Animation Academy... she will often sit for two hours straight drawing, not that many kids can do that, but one class can be fun!) because they are not as popular or well known. It's a lot of effort to leave the parks and return. Relaxing somewhere in DTD might be more fun and easier. We personally love Storytellers for lunch or dinner when we are at DCA- it's a nice, quiet break, and we often head into the GC lobby to relax a bit and cool off. It could be fun to let each kid pick their "do it one more time" ride, too. Just a thought.

Also, my kids don't eat burgers, nuggets, or pizza any of the time we are there (they don't like the first two and prefer not to order the third when other options are available), so I'm sure there are lots of options they could find at any of the DTD places. We do like Tortilla Joe's. We don't love it, but it's fine...

Agree with the above. Rides can go down, crowds can be unexpectedly busy, kids can decide they want to eat something else at the last minute. A large grain of salt can be very helpful with kids at DLR! :) In addition to the above suggestions, the Redwood Creek Trail is a fun way to spend some time so the kids can run around after being in lines all day. Our kids love being able to choose favorite rides to do again. The GCH lobby has a TV corner for the kids for breaktime. And if the OP's brother's kids can go to El Torito any time, they might like the novelty of eating somewhere on property. After all, how often do they get to eat at DLR?

Ride max just like touring plans (the one I have) is just an extra tool to have fun. There is no way they can predict everything. Also last year they didn't have the 60ths stuff going on. You will want to see all three new shows. The ride max plans can go perfect but I would never think you'd be done by noon. Now you could take a brake for a couple hours in the hotel and come back for night time shows. We do that but if I leave the resort area for more then an hour its medevil times dinner or if I wanted to try the pirates dinner.
I honestly would check the Mexican restaurants in dtd and dl dca.

After looking over the menu and some pics Tortilla Joe's it is.

Looks really good and I didn't see it when I went through the places to eat the first time.

Thanks again

no need to drive anywhere for food. DTD or in-park has good food.

In DLR, Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante has been good to me since it was the Frito shop. It has entrees for under 14 each for adults, Tortillo Jos start at 20 and I just saw a chicken burrito is $15. I can get that for $5 at my local taqueria (albeit, not fancy) or $8 on the platter. The Rancho food was good last time I ate there.

I really enjoyed Big Thunder but it's an all you can eat for about $30 per adult, IIRC. The BBQ was great.

Will you or your wife be having a birthday during/around your trip? Here is a link to a birthday coupon for Tortilla Jo's: http://www.patinagroup.com/joinus.php. Coupon is good for up to 60 days after your birthday.

Thank you. I don't like Mexican food to much except the kind I like (plain no spicey) so I checked this out and found the UVA cafe and bar had some good food in dtd and had the same offer. I went ahead and signed up ty for showing this to us all.

I have a question about dining. On the Rainforest cafe menu it says the kids meals are "Kids' menu items for children ages 9 and younger." does that mean only 9 year olds are allowed to order? I have been to some places that allow anyone order from the menu despite the age even though it says something like. I was wondering what the rule was here at disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter