• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me dispute a credit card charge!!!

I have experience in this arena as I have worked for banks in customer service involving debit cards which work similar to credit cards in this respect.

I do not see you being successful in disputing this charge through Amex because A- It was not fraud. You willingly gave your credit card to Legoland as payment for a product being offered. B- In the agreement of purchase with Legoland, I am sure there was language that allowed them to substitute a comparable product of equal or greater value. Comparable would be determined by the seller not the buyer, sorry. C- If Amex does agree to dispute the charge for you pending investigation, the credit will only be temporary. Legoland will prevail upon investigation of the agreement and then your credit will be reversed.

This situation is really a buyer beware. It's really no different than buying a product like......say a perfume. It smelled great on the tester strip but when you got home and put it on your skin, you found it smelled differently and didn't like it. You can't dispute that charge with Amex either.
Wow. That certainly has not been my experience. I haven't had a lot of incidents but generally speaking if a product was not exactly as ordered or sold, the credit card company reversed the charge. We had an issue with the wrong COLOR computer being shipped. My wife wanted a gold laptop, they shipped a Silver one. Visa didn't hesitate at reversing the charge, and Dell stopped dragging their on correcting the situation. The agreed to the credit, and overnighted, at THEIR expense, the correct color computer.
I'd fire a credit card company that didn't go to bat for me.

Just call AmEx and tell them that you purchased tickets for the 2020 season and the place won't be open and they refuse to refund.
I understand they aren't at fault, but they are the ones not honoring the terms of your season pass for the year in which you purchased.

Wow. That certainly has not been my experience. I haven't had a lot of incidents but generally speaking if a product was not exactly as ordered or sold, the credit card company reversed the charge. We had an issue with the wrong COLOR computer being shipped. My wife wanted a gold laptop, they shipped a Silver one. Visa didn't hesitate at reversing the charge, and Dell stopped dragging their on correcting the situation. The agreed to the credit, and overnighted, at THEIR expense, the correct color computer.
I'd fire a credit card company that didn't go to bat for me.
There is no comparison between debit cards and credit cards when it comes to chargebacks and disputing charges. Credit cards have much stronger protections than debit cards do, which is why you should never use your debit card online.

There is no comparison between debit cards and credit cards when it comes to chargebacks and disputing charges. Credit cards have much stronger protections than debit cards do, which is why you should never use your debit card online.
Good point.

I have experience in this arena as I have worked for banks in customer service involving debit cards which work similar to credit cards in this respect.

I do not see you being successful in disputing this charge through Amex because A- It was not fraud. You willingly gave your credit card to Legoland as payment for a product being offered. B- In the agreement of purchase with Legoland, I am sure there was language that allowed them to substitute a comparable product of equal or greater value. Comparable would be determined by the seller not the buyer, sorry. C- If Amex does agree to dispute the charge for you pending investigation, the credit will only be temporary. Legoland will prevail upon investigation of the agreement and then your credit will be reversed.

This situation is really a buyer beware. It's really no different than buying a product like......say a perfume. It smelled great on the tester strip but when you got home and put it on your skin, you found it smelled differently and didn't like it. You can't dispute that charge with Amex either.
When I made chargeback claims to a different CC company, I was immediately credited the disputed amount. The company against whom I was claiming had a set time frame to respond or the credit became permanent. Both times I’ve done this I won I’m guessing due to lack of a response. One time it was against a small company (no show for an airport transfer) and one time it was against a very large company (ticket resale company for selling me tickets to occupied seats). I had paper evidence of the transactions, contacted the company directly first for resolution and kept written records either of notes of phone calls or copies of emails. BTW, I turned down a small credit offer by the ticket company.

Definitely call your CC, explain the situation and relay all conversations you've had with Legoland; it helps if you wrote down names, dates and times. I had a huge battle with Spirit Airlines a few years ago, and Visa took care of everything for me.

OP, not sure if you are up to speed, but they are now saying that asthma isn't a high risk factor for Covid. I wouldn't just write off using the passes next year. A lot can change in a year with this virus. We could have a vaccine by next summer. I would accept Legoland's offer to transfer the tickets. Hold them for now and if next year comes and you cant use them, I'm sure you will have no problem selling them.

If this is true, I would be grateful! And you are right, the situation with COVID changes everyday. I speak with COVID stricken people every day with my job (health dept). We always ask about pre-existing conditions, and lung issues is one that we inquire about but I hope you are right and people with asthma aren't more affecting then others! Yes, you are right, maybe a vaccine or better treatment! Thank you and by the way, our passes are the "gold" passes which are good in ALL Merlin parks in the USA, so they were an awesome buy but like I said previously, I just want to keep my son safe!

AND by the way, I am sympathetic to all the businesses in this great country and don't want any of them to go bankrupt or out of business. I just don't want to lose over $600 for something I would never use. I have to put the health of my son first and feel that we can worry about "entertainment" after the pandemic passes! Stay safe everyone!

Just wanted to update! I spoke with customer service for my Marriott Bonvoy cc (which I cancelled months ago) a few days ago and they said that Legoland refunded my full amount that I paid for the 5 gold annual passes. Marriott Bonvoy is mailing me a check since the cc is not active anymore. They did not tell me anything else about my claim, just that the money was refunded by Legoland! Glad I disputed it and got my refund!!! Always pays to pay by cc in case an issue comes up! Also, the cc company never asked me for any proof of interaction I had with Legoland. I called told them what happened and they said they would open a claim and it could take 8 weeks. I called the other day, around 3 weeks later and they said it was refunded.

I'd just dispute the charge with AMEX. We had a trip planned to South Africa for this past May. It's a very long flight from NJ to South Africa, so we splurged on business class tickets back and forth. Between those flights, and the flights we were going to take once there, the total was just over 13K. South African Airways only offered to give us a credit, and that was just via their website. They never even picked up the phone. So, we figured that we'd try for a dispute with AMEX. It was six different disputes. One of our reasons for not being able to travel before a vaccine is that my husband has an asthma diagnosis. We received a refund. It took awhile, but we're finally completely in the clear.

I know this is old but I have disputed Legoland before and won so thought I’d share for future reference for people. I got into a rescheduling debate with Legoland (looking back, I was in the wrong probably) and called my credit card asking them for guidance. I had paid half my stay at the resort and wanted to reschedule and they said no, and would charge the second half regardless if I showed on original dates or not. My credit card company was happy to block future charges. The block was their idea, I didn’t know this was even a thing. They said the charge would fail and then it would be up to Legoland to try to get it go through manually, and depending on how much effort they put in would determine if it worked. Apparently they can bill under multiple codes, but they would have to take notice and try a different code. Turns out the block worked and the half I already paid was credited to my card also. I didn’t know my card company was trying to do this. In summary, Legoland was difficult over the phone to me, but they must not fight credit card companies very hard. I think it’s in their best interest to stay in good standing with the card companies.

I find that when you pick up the phone sometimes, it helps... when you are talking to a real person, and having a conversation the customer service rep... looks at a real voice instead of a request on a screen... ... and you have the ability to explain your point... it helps... Not saying that they will do the refund... but at least your being able to voice your point of view...

Make sure to write down the date, time, and person you spoke with... as well ask where they are? sometimes there are call centers all over the place. As well ask for a email address, of this person... they may or may not have one, and this way you can email a follow-up to the conversation.

Paper trail is important..

Start with following the chain of command, and if nothing happens... then move up the change of command...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter