• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me decide on tickets

blakefamily

Mouseketeer
2 trips planned within the next year. Late feb into March 2019. We are staying on site at the end of our trip and we plan on doing at least 3wdw days. Then mid September split stay on/off. Planning for 4-5 days and MNSSHP. Trying to decide if I should get an AP for atleast me, and also if I should just by tickets now before the just announced changes take efect. What would you do. Our family is 2adults and DD12. So 3adults tickets. As I understand neither of our trips are considered busy times. Thanks for your help

This is an easy question. Do the math. Figure out for each person how many days they will be there each trip, the cost of the tickets for 2 trips vs an AP. Also consider if you would use the 10% discount for stores and restaurants. For us, it was an easy decision for APs.

This is an easy question. Do the math. Figure out for each person how many days they will be there each trip, the cost of the tickets for 2 trips vs an AP. Also consider if you would use the 10% discount for stores and restaurants. For us, it was an easy decision for APs.
I think it will make sense for one of us, for the memory Maker and discounts, and then buy multiday passes for the other 2. Feeling like I should decide soon as to avoid the new ticket tier pricing.....

I think it will make sense for one of us, for the memory Maker and discounts, and then buy multiday passes for the other 2. Feeling like I should decide soon as to avoid the new ticket tier pricing.....
Yes, I think it is a great idea for at least one of you. The room discounts are much better for AP holders at the moment as well.

Yes, I think it is a great idea for at least one of you. The room discounts are much better for AP holders at the moment as well.
we already have DVC rental for the Late February/March trip, and haven't decided on the Sept trip, either DVC rental again or maybe POR, so AP discount may or may not be worth it for that. Now trying to see if I were to but the multi day tickets and then upgrade to AP for atleast myself, if its possible to do before the new ticketing changes go into affect, dont want to all the sudden have a higher priced AP....hmmmmm So much to consider

I would look at the current prices for the tickets that you would need. Would you be getting hoppers for both trips?

I think a 3 day hopper and a 5 day hopper are pretty close to the price of an annual pass.

Given that prices will most likely go up I would probably get AP for everyone, especially if you might add days to either trip.

i was never a fan of Memory Maker until we got our APs. Now I love it! Love the onride photos and videos. And we look for the photographers instead of walking past. Just a lot of fun.

I would look at the current prices for the tickets that you would need. Would you be getting hoppers for both trips?

I think a 3 day hopper and a 5 day hopper are pretty close to the price of an annual pass.

Given that prices will most likely go up I would probably get AP for everyone, especially if you might add days to either trip.
For the 3 day, probably not, but possibly adding a after hours magic for atleast 2 of us.....For the Sept Trip we want to do hopper plus passes as we want to do water parks also and a halloween party...

I bought my first AP this year. We did the marathon in January then DH and I had planning a trip in November just for us. As I recall, my break-even moment was 7 park hopper days between the two trips - 4 days Jan and 3 days Nov. In this scenario, the best "deal" I could work was buying a 10-day multipark ticket from AAA for 1st trip then upgraded to AP at our resort and used by discounted Target Disney gift card to pay the difference. Saved a few bucks by doing it this way but was still able to book FP since I had a ticket already. Haven't been able to utilize all of the AP discounts - but what I have used has been nice. Some meal discounts and savings on the Wild Africa Trek tour for our upcoming trip. This biggest perk for us was the free Memory Maker - especially during the Marathon week.

we already have DVC rental for the Late February/March trip, and haven't decided on the Sept trip, either DVC rental again or maybe POR, so AP discount may or may not be worth it for that. Now trying to see if I were to but the multi day tickets and then upgrade to AP for atleast myself, if its possible to do before the new ticketing changes go into affect, dont want to all the sudden have a higher priced AP....hmmmmm So much to consider
What about food? Are you doing the dining plan? With AP you can get Tables in Wonderland dining discount card. Takes 20% off food and alcohol at many table service restaurants and lounges along with some counter service restaurants at the values and Animal Kingdom Park. We always spend less with TiW than the dining plan. Even more to think about!

I bought my first AP this year. We did the marathon in January then DH and I had planning a trip in November just for us. As I recall, my break-even moment was 7 park hopper days between the two trips - 4 days Jan and 3 days Nov. In this scenario, the best "deal" I could work was buying a 10-day multipark ticket from AAA for 1st trip then upgraded to AP at our resort and used by discounted Target Disney gift card to pay the difference. Saved a few bucks by doing it this way but was still able to book FP since I had a ticket already. Haven't been able to utilize all of the AP discounts - but what I have used has been nice. Some meal discounts and savings on the Wild Africa Trek tour for our upcoming trip. This biggest perk for us was the free Memory Maker - especially during the Marathon week.[/QUO

Great info! Thanks. I was not planning on purchasing park hoppers for both trips, but after running numbers for multiple situations, I'm thinking it might be nice. Also since we are wanting to do a waterpark day during our Sept trip, I was looking at the platinum plus AP, but thinking getting the platinum AP and using the discount on the WP tickets might be better, I dont see us doing multiple days at a water park, likely just one.
I assume that buying the 10 day for you was due to it having the greatest discount amount? And since you would be spending the money anyway, it is saving you due to the price bridging i have read about ? My concern right now about taking that approach is the new ticket pricing coming Oct 16 and not knowing if the AP prices will rise then or even before we get to Orlando Feb 23rd.

What about food? Are you doing the dining plan? With AP you can get Tables in Wonderland dining discount card. Takes 20% off food and alcohol at many table service restaurants and lounges along with some counter service restaurants at the values and Animal Kingdom Park. We always spend less with TiW than the dining plan. Even more to think about!
we dont do dining plan. but I will look into Tables in wonderland. Thank You

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter