• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me decide on a resort for our wedding trip!

zanzibar138

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm kind of new to these boards (mainly hang out in the Disneyland or 'Other Lands' area), but we are planning a WDW wedding for Feb 2025, so I'm thinking I will be spending a LOT more time here! We've still got a long time before our trip, but I know some of our options may require more advance notice, and the time will go so fast!

We are planning to spend about 2 weeks at WDW. The wedding events will all be around the Grand Floridian and Epcot area, but we're not interested in a split stay (we'll have way too much stuff!), so need somewhere that will suit us for the whole time. I love the idea of somewhere a bit quieter, maybe more 'adult', with pretty gardens/scenery. We prefer smaller separate buildings over one large high rise building, and we're not really fussed about pools or restaurants. We don't mind budgeting for an uber to get us to and from the parks, but after travelling 11,000 miles for the Disney wedding experience, we definitely want to stay onsite and be immersed in the bubble!

I've loved the look of Port Orleans Riverside since I very first started looking at Disney resorts 20 years ago and always planned to stay there if I ever got to WDW. It seems so pretty and romantic and I love the idea of taking the boat to Disney Springs or a carriage ride along the river. I know the rooms have recently been updated too so would probably be quite nice. Also wondering if it's a bit quieter with the main pool contained to an island lol!

Having said that, it might be nice to have a bit more space for this trip (thinking of the wedding morning!), and a nice balcony where we can just sit and watch the world go by with drinks in hand. As much as I would love a 1 bedroom villa, we would realistically be looking at an entry level studio, even renting DVC points. I like the look of Saratoga Springs. I love how close it is to Disney Springs and that it would be walkable for dinner and/or drinks. Also love the theming since I was really into horses as a kid and read the whole 'Thoroughbred' series. My next preference would be Old Key West. Not quite as handy to Disney Springs, but I do like the Florida theming and seems like it would be a quieter resort as well. Having said that, the idea of renting DVC is a little outside of my comfort zone.

I feel like many of the other deluxe resorts would be too intense, if that makes any sense lol! I suspect they would mostly be out of our price range too, even renting DVC. The theming and location of the other moderates isn't as appealing either. And, while there is definitely nothing wrong with going value, and I would be all over that at any other time... maybe not for a wedding trip!

Any recommendations for any of the above, or somewhere else I haven't thought of?

If your wedding will be in the EPCOT area, have you looked at their resorts,? Or Grand Floridian since that'sanother area you mentioned your wedding may be near. Don't you get a better deal/room block if you're booking your wedding through Disney?

If we were staying at a moderate the Port Orleans complex always intrigued between the setting and boat access to Disney Springs which has some of the best restaurants on property IMO.

Have fun no matter where you go!

Hi everyone! I'm kind of new to these boards (mainly hang out in the Disneyland or 'Other Lands' area), but we are planning a WDW wedding for Feb 2025, so I'm thinking I will be spending a LOT more time here! We've still got a long time before our trip, but I know some of our options may require more advance notice, and the time will go so fast!

We are planning to spend about 2 weeks at WDW. The wedding events will all be around the Grand Floridian and Epcot area, but we're not interested in a split stay (we'll have way too much stuff!), so need somewhere that will suit us for the whole time. I love the idea of somewhere a bit quieter, maybe more 'adult', with pretty gardens/scenery. We prefer smaller separate buildings over one large high rise building, and we're not really fussed about pools or restaurants. We don't mind budgeting for an uber to get us to and from the parks, but after travelling 11,000 miles for the Disney wedding experience, we definitely want to stay onsite and be immersed in the bubble!

I've loved the look of Port Orleans Riverside since I very first started looking at Disney resorts 20 years ago and always planned to stay there if I ever got to WDW. It seems so pretty and romantic and I love the idea of taking the boat to Disney Springs or a carriage ride along the river. I know the rooms have recently been updated too so would probably be quite nice. Also wondering if it's a bit quieter with the main pool contained to an island lol!

Having said that, it might be nice to have a bit more space for this trip (thinking of the wedding morning!), and a nice balcony where we can just sit and watch the world go by with drinks in hand. As much as I would love a 1 bedroom villa, we would realistically be looking at an entry level studio, even renting DVC points. I like the look of Saratoga Springs. I love how close it is to Disney Springs and that it would be walkable for dinner and/or drinks. Also love the theming since I was really into horses as a kid and read the whole 'Thoroughbred' series. My next preference would be Old Key West. Not quite as handy to Disney Springs, but I do like the Florida theming and seems like it would be a quieter resort as well. Having said that, the idea of renting DVC is a little outside of my comfort zone.

I feel like many of the other deluxe resorts would be too intense, if that makes any sense lol! I suspect they would mostly be out of our price range too, even renting DVC. The theming and location of the other moderates isn't as appealing either. And, while there is definitely nothing wrong with going value, and I would be all over that at any other time... maybe not for a wedding trip!

Any recommendations for any of the above, or somewhere else I haven't thought of?
Boardwalk pool and garden has quiet areas

If your wedding will be in the EPCOT area, have you looked at their resorts,? Or Grand Floridian since that'sanother area you mentioned your wedding may be near. Don't you get a better deal/room block if you're booking your wedding through Disney?
I've definitely considered the potential benefits of staying in those locations for the actual wedding day. I can't deny how convenient it would be to finish our dessert party Epcot and casually stroll back to our Boardwalk resort! Just not sure it's the vibe I'm envisioning. The Grand is definitely well out of our price range, and honestly not sure it's really the vibe either - I actually find it a bit intimidating!

It's not really worth us booking a room block since we're only expecting 10 or so guests (we're all coming from Australia, so it's a BIG trip!), and some are already talking about sharing a condo offsite to save money. So sadly no, we won't get any discounts.

If we were staying at a moderate the Port Orleans complex always intrigued between the setting and boat access to Disney Springs which has some of the best restaurants on property IMO.

Have fun no matter where you go!
A nice relaxing boat ride to Disney Springs seems like it would be perfect for the vibe of our trip 👌

Boardwalk pool and garden has quiet areas
Our favorite deluxe! I love the pedestrian accessibility as well as boat to Epcot. A walk down the canal path takes you to Hollywood Studios. A room with an upstairs terrace doubles the room space. Flying Fish is just downstairs; what’s not to like 🙂

I’m not much help since we mainly stick to the deluxe hotels (not villas) and I don’t have a ton of experience with the resorts you mentioned, but just wanted to say congratulations on your pending nuptials and happy planning! I’m sure the constraints of distance, experience, cost, etc are challenging - if not intimidating - but I’m sure it will work out well for you whatever you decide.

We have stayed at both moderate and deluxe hotels at Disney, and while the grounds and the lobbies of the deluxe hotels are great, the rooms can be hit or miss. We have stayed in some deluxe rooms that have been wonderful and in some that have been average at best. And, a two week stay (especially with the current exchange rate of money) at a deluxe hotel would cost a lot of money. So, if you have always liked the feel of the Port Orleans Riverside, and if the rooms have recently been refurbished (a BIG plus), I'd say go with Riverside. Just my opinion.

Have you considered Coronado Springs? My DH is not a huge Disney fan but when I visited Coronado last year, my first thought as I walked around the lake in the evening was how much he'd like it, and how I want to bring him there. (Our trip starts 1/9/24!) The resort is quite lovely, and some of the water view rooms in the Casitas have a great view. The food is great, especially at Toledo, on the top floor of the Gran Destino Tower, and there is an outdoor lounge with amazing views. I know you mentioned wanting more space/a balcony for the wedding time, but maybe you could rent one room for the entire stay and a connecting room for your wedding days, so you'd have the extra space that you might need.

I haven't stayed at POR, but I know it's huge. We have stayed at POFQ, which is small and intimate, but I can't say either of them are luxurious enough for a wedding trip, IMO. We have also stayed at OKW, which to me felt like every offsite condo in Florida that we've rented. I will admit, I am a big fan of taking the boat to Disney Springs! We really enjoyed Saratoga Springs, but the theming of horses is very, very, very subtle; it's just a nice, "vanilla" resort in my book. Being able to both walk and boat over to Disney Springs was a plus, though, as it allowed us to try out restaurants and bars in the evenings.

I really liked Boardwalk Inn, and if you could get one of their little cottage-type units, that'd be fun... but not sure of the budget and they are not cheap. I'm also not sure they are a "casual stroll" from either Epcot or the Studios- more like 15 mins from Ep and 20 to DS for us. However, we liked the Boardwalk and sitting out on the Boardwalk at night, enjoying an adult beverage and watching the boats go by, the lights around the lake, etc.

Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo is my favorite Disney resort. It's more upscale than any I've previously mentioned, has a fabulous lobby, savanna views, incredible restaurants, a great lounge. It'd be my choice for a wedding trip, for sure. It's elegant and calming and we just love it there.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and have a marvelous wedding!

As I was reading your post, and before I even got to your paragraph about Saratoga Springs, I was thinking a 1-bedroom there or at OKW would check most of your boxes. Not necessarily ideal to the wedding locations, but ideal for everything else. I'd look for the 1-bedroom for space. Being there for 2 weeks, you'll enjoy that space, and the full fridge/kitchen area that comes with it.

The Wilderness Lodge area is beautiful, but wouldn't check your box as the buildings are more or less all connected (With Boulder Ridge being separate) and are 6-7 floors high.

One last possible suggestion could be the new DVC cabins that are going to be opening at Fort Wilderness. The grounds would check a lot of the boxes you mentioned above, still in the MK area as you can take a boat over, and they also have things like horseback riding (more like pony rides), carriage rides, archery and other activities around that area.

For two weeks I would go deluxe or a Villa. You will definitely want some quiet time so you will want a balcony to relax and have a cocktail. Also, a 1 bdrm gives you the kitchen which is nice to have, should want to keep breakfast items and when we stay for two weeks we do enjoy a few dinners in. Nothing beats coming back from the pool, showering and throwing together an easy meal on the balcony. It really changes the hustle and bustle of a Disney vacation. It's really a recharge moment.

Is that enough space at POR? I would be concerned that is not enough space. How about CSR tower room? I’ve found the Tower rooms to be space efficient with nice bathrooms and much quieter than the POFQ room I had. I actually think the rooms at GDT are the nicest at Disney.

If you do end up going POR I would consider a like 2 night stay next year to check it out. I thought I would love POFQ but by Day 3 of 4 I could not wait to leave, I would have been utterly miserable at 2 weeks. The middle level Disney price point of a motel stay at hotel prices did not work for me. And I really thought it would! Loved the theming, the reviews- but I hated it. I was absolutely kicking myself knowing how much nicer a room I could have gotten off-site in like Bonnet Creek.

Dark horse- Swolphin. Swan Reserve, Swan, Dolphin. Fwiw SR has a gorgeous event space up on top of the new building with a view of EP fireworks from a large covered patio with piped in music.

Last edited:

Re POR: Be aware of the following:

(1) Only the Mansion buildings have elevators. The other buildings do not. There's only one flight of stairs since the buildings are only two stories, but maybe you don't want to drag 2 weeks' worth of luggage up a flight of stairs. BTW, most of the buildings at OKW also have no elevator.

(2) The buses make multiple stops throughout the resort. The same is true of Saratoga, btw, although I believe POR is even more spread out than Saratoga is. OKW also has multiple bus stops.

I really like Saratoga and feel this would be a better choice for your honeymoon, assuming you could afford it. As for renting DVC points, if that's outside your comfort zone, do not do it. Renting DVC points requires a lot of that comfort feeling. You can book the same rooms directly through Disney and there are often discounts.

My favorite room-with-a-balcony at WDW is at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you're not into animals at all, then forget I mentioned this. But if you are, even a standard-view room there can end up having a partial savanna view, and it's a gorgeous resort with wonderful restaurants. There is, however, no walking-around area at AKL. You can walk from the lodge to Kidani, but it's not the same as being at a resort with a vast expanse of grounds, like POR.

Also, as another poster mentioned, perhaps consider POFQ, which is much smaller than POR, doesn't share buses, has only one bus stop, has the boat ride to the Springs, and is a pretty riverside walk over to POR, if you would like to do things there. POFQ is my go-to Mod but I understand if its theming, etc., is not your thing. Everyone has different preferences.

And, finally, re the Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve: These are okay hotels, but understand that the Disney vibe is nowhere present in these hotels, and I don't mean there are no giant Mickey statutes everywhere, which there aren't at any of the Mod or Deluxe WDW resorts either. I mean there is no Disney feel at all. They're generic hotels, and my experience at the Swan was one of being in the midst of many conference-goers, making me feel that I was at a hotel in Any City, USA, and surrounded by businesspeople. Not what I'd want for a honeymoon.

Congrats! I've gotta admit I'm partial to POR because that's where we honeymooned (well, it was Dixie Landings back then 🤣) but a very beautiful and romantic resort. If you are looking for smaller, the POFQ is a sister resort and shares many amenities with POR.

I'd go with POFQ over Riverside. Similar themed but more compact. Only one bus stop.

CBR has the skyliner, a plus.

I strongly suggest a split stay. Bell services will move your stuff.

I'd book a deluxe near your final destination on your wedding night. Let your budget dictate how many nights.

JMO, POFQ is the moderate which best fits what you're looking for.

I'd go with POFQ over Riverside. Similar themed but more compact. Only one bus stop.

CBR has the skyliner, a plus.

I strongly suggest a split stay. Bell services will move your stuff.

I'd book a deluxe near your final destination on your wedding night. Let your budget dictate how many nights.

JMO, POFQ is the moderate which best fits what you're looking for.
I agree with this. Also check for discounts as you get closer to your dates. There will most likely be some sort of discount, General public, Disney Visa, Disney+. Stalk the website and these boards for discounts because you have to book quickly once they are released.

I've never stayed DVC but if I was staying for two weeks that would be the way I would go, as much as there are great options for POFQ or Caribbean Beach I would want the extra space and kitchenette for that long a stay. Also for the wedding while you're getting ready and/or having people visiting any standard hotel room would get cramped pretty quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter