• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me decide.. I am lost this time around.

Mom of 3 Princesses

Mouseketeer
I have been mulling it around in my head and changing plans and making new ones....
What would disboarders do?

Okay... I am on a budget, going with 2 little alone (9 and 4). I really can only afford POFQ or POR or one of the value resorts this trip... we are trying to be .. frugaler....

I LURVE POFQ.. but know that the dates I am looking for will probably not get free dining this year (nov 25-dec 3rd) I know that POFQ rarely gets free dining, but I always have been lucky and planned it where I snatched a free dining in one of their rooms in years past.

So, That means a little more for dining if I stay at POFQ. We do down days a lot. So out of those days, we will do one Christmas party eve and the about 4 days at the park, the rest will be down days.

I love FQ cause we spend 99% of our time at MK, so we are also not park hoppers, even for table meals, I plan those pretty carefully.

IS the transportation at AOA gonna drive me insane? Or the the themeing of the Mermaid rooms worth the walk? What is special about POP? I heard transportation is not as bad there. I have stayed at Movies and Music, but that was over 15 years ago.

My kids have big eyes... they love the scenery, mom loves the down time... any and ALL suggestions would be welcome.

IS the transportation at AOA gonna drive me insane? Or the the themeing of the Mermaid rooms worth the walk? What is special about POP? I heard transportation is not as bad there.

My kids have big eyes... they love the scenery, mom loves the down time... any and ALL suggestions would be welcome.

I have stayed at Pop for seven week-long stays. I use both the Pop and AoA buses, so double the transportation options. I've seen pictures of the Little Mermaid rooms, they look really cool. The walk from the bus stop, the food court, and the Big Blue Pool (Little Mermaid section does have its own pool) to Little Mermaid rooms is not as bad as what some people say. AoA food court is great. So is the food court at Pop. Both Pop and Aoa have nice poolside bars, if that is part of Mom's downtime. Art of Animation has an animation class, like they sued to have at Hollywood Studios.
AoA and Pop both have great afternoon pool / poolside activities. I watch them while I am having my afternoon pool break. I even made a tie-dye t-shirt! It cost $16. Outdoor movies every night.

If you want to cut your costs a little more, do consider Pop Century.

To further help your budget, consider sharing meals. My husband and I often shared an adult meal, both at counter service and in restaurants. A discounted room and sharing meals and drinking water instead of soda might save your more than the "free dining".

Have a great trip!

I LURVE POFQ.. but know that the dates I am looking for will probably not get free dining this year (nov 25-dec 3rd) I know that POFQ rarely gets free dining, but I always have been lucky and planned it where I snatched a free dining in one of their rooms in years past.
[/QUOTE]

Have you ever run the numbers on free dining for your family? It really isnt free. It is often cheaper to go without depending on your eating habits and other pricing options available. For example, if the plan offers included dessert and you rarely have dessert with a meal you are not saving getting one free. You may do better getting your best resort deal and going ala carte. With some snacks brought from home..breakfast pop tart in the room, fruit, etc. For me if I was wanting to save money. Id pick a resort that offers a package deal or resort only deal and then go ala carte. ..and the best way to do that is check out menus and reviews ahead of time. so you know the best places for decent food and prices.

Have you ever run the numbers on free dining for your family? It really isnt free. It is often cheaper to go without depending on your eating habits and other pricing options available. For example, if the plan offers included dessert and you rarely have dessert with a meal you are not saving getting one free. You may do better getting your best resort deal and going ala carte. With some snacks brought from home..breakfast pop tart in the room, fruit, etc. For me if I was wanting to save money. Id pick a resort that offers a package deal or resort only deal and then go ala carte. ..and the best way to do that is check out menus and reviews ahead of time. so you know the best places for decent food and prices.[/QUOTE]

If we go on those dates, it will not matter, those are dates that are usually not covered by free dining. For the convenience of our family, free dining is a good deal. I would have to pay out of pocket either way... that is kinda why I am looking for other options of places to stay this time around for myself and the littles...

I Would choose Pop Century or AoA LM rooms, depending upon prices, discounts and budget. They are just a short walk across the bridge from each other. The advantage of the LM rooms is access to the Big Blue pool. However in Nov/Dec that may not be much of an issue.

PC will give you access to AoA in all areas except the pools, which is likely something that you would enjoy when staying at the resort. You also have two food courts to choose from. Both resorts are fun and sponsor nice daytime activities. We have visited even when not staying there for photo ops and the AoA food court.

The value resorts are the most appropriate for a frugal visit and offer lots of fun for the price. For value for $$ spent, you can't go wrong with POP, IMO. I second the advice given by 'mom of 3 princesses' to check out the dining plan vs a room discount and a la carte. It doesn't hurt to be sure of the best plan for your family. However, I suspect that you might find free dining to still be beneficial for you with 2 children.

If you are looking at moderate resorts, consider CBR in a preferred room. You might find a better discount than at POFQ and the preferred rooms are convenient to everything. Plus the pool and play areas are great at CBR for young children!

Good luck choosing!

If your kids love the scenery, I would choose AoA LIttle Mermaid rooms. They are great, but what really sets it apart is the theming of the whole resort. You are completely immersed in Disney. The walk to the Little Mermaid rooms isn't ideal, but you get used to it quickly. Transportation didn't seem bad when I was there and you're not sharing with any other resorts. Plus the price is right.

Free dining at a value will only get you the Quick Service plan and is really not worth it (when I have run the numbers, I have only found it to be worth it with a moderate).

at AofA Free dining for one adult and two children to me isn't worth planning around. Plus if your kids are like our grandkids, dining while at WDW is the furthest thing from their minds, the quicker the better! They just want theme parks, pool time, theming, etc. We almost always go for room discounts.

We love POP and Art of Animation but keep in mind that all of the Little Mermaid rooms at AofA are in buildings that are a hike from the lobby and bus stop. You won't want to go back and forth to the room, trust me, pack for the day, go over and have breakfast then get on the bus. But the walk is great with lots of fun theming and at least your kids are old enough that you won't be dealing with strollers, diaper bags, etc. We were in a standard room at Pop and didn't find the walk long at all, but you could always book a Preferred room to be guaranteed a good location. Had good experiences with bus service at both, but we usually do rope drop every morning or EMH so we get a jump on the crowds both at the bus stop and the food court.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter