Help me decide, GC or DLH

abby

Abby's Mom
We stayed at the DLH last April, and enjoyed it. Are looking to go back in late January/early February. Trying to decide where to stay. Although it's more money, am considering GC because it is so close to the parks and since the weather may not be as nice as it was in April I thought it might be good to be closer, what do you think?

I've never stayed at either one, but if cost is not a factor my choice would be GC. If I ever get to stay on site, that's where I'd stay. And the private entry right into DCA would be worth it.

Both hotels are great places to stay. The Disneyland Hotels generally has much larger rooms but as you remember they don't have a balconey per se. The rooms at the GCC are very different and more maturly decorated. There is only one Disney reference in all of the decore and it is small. All the rooms have blaconies. But the GC is a nicer, more classy hotel where as the DLH is more fun. You can't go wrong at either one and if you can afford the price I say give the GC a try.

I agree that you can't go wrong at either hotel. I prefer the GCH for its location and style. Some kids prefer the pool at the DLH, and the theming at the DLH is a little more Disney. As Danzzzz noted, the rooms are a bit bigger at DLH, but I find the GCH perfectly comfortable. One thing you might consider is whether the monorail will be operating while you are there. Last I heard, it was tentatively scheduled to be down for several months early in the year while work on the Finding Nemo ride and the new monorail station in Tomorrowland was being done.

Yes. From what I have read the monorail will be down for rehab for 18 months starting in January.

daannzzz said:
Yes. From what I have read the monorail will be down for rehab for 18 months starting in January.

When we were there last week, they were saying that the monorail would be going down in just a few more days (probably down now) and would be down for a couple of weeks for rehab.

It definately needs it, the car we were in, the covers on the seats were being held together with ducktape.

The monorail will be down for two weeks now and then for 18 months starting in January for a rehab of the track and a rebuild of the tTomorrowland station which is also for the new queue for the Nemo ride.

thanks for the advice, anyone know when the monorail is supposed to go down in January? Also, just where do you enter downtown disney from the GC?

abby said:
Also, just where do you enter downtown disney from the GC?

Right near the Jamba Juice. Right across the way is the Wetzel's Pretzels and the Haagan Dazs. A little to the east (toward DL) is the Napolini, and a little to the west is Build a Bear.

It's pretty much halfway between the entrance gates to DL/DCA and the monorail station -- maybe a very little bit closer to the parks.

As for the OP's question, if money is not a major concern, I'd say the GC. It's just a lot more convenient. But the DLH is great too if you can get a much better deal.

We have never been to DL, but are planning a trip next Oct. I had in mind to stay at DLH, but if the monorail is going to be down, will it be a hassle getting to the parks from there?

If you stay at the Grand Californian you will walk to both parks. The walk to Disneyland is about 5 minutes or a bit longer depending on where you are located in the hotel. You have a special entrance to DCA that makes it extremely convenient. We could be into the park in a couple minutes from our room.
Without the Monorail the walk From the Disneyland Hotel to the front gates of the parks will be 10-15-20 minutes depending on your location in the hotel and how much stuff you look at in Downtown Disney which you have to pass through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter