Help me chose between these 2 digital cameras!

Tuffcookie

Enjoys an early hour of peace. Is a smart cookie.
Hello fellow photographers!

I have had an Olympus C720 for about 3 years now. It is time to get a new one! ;) I would like to get one in the next month. I have it narrowed down to 2. Any input you can give would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Olympus SP-500 UZ 6 MP 10x optical zoom.

#2 Canon Powershot S2 IS 5 MP 12 optical zoom.

I have been happy with my Olympus C720 except for the VERY slow lag time I experienced. Have they gotten any better in 3 years?

Also, I wonder if the Olympus SP-500 UZ has as much of an internal stabilizer as the Canon Powershop S2 IS.

I want to take this new camera with me to WDW in June and would like to try it on fireworks. I understand the Canon has a fireworks setting. Anyone try this and have you been happy with the results?

If I get a really good picture of the grandkids and want to order a poster size print from Snapfish, will I be happy with the quality of the enlargement at 5 MP (or 6) ?

Thanks for your help!

TC :cool1:

Get the Canon.

As far as image stabilization goes. I don't think Olympus own a technology to do that. That technology is own by several manufacturers only. For point and shoot, the best if the one made by Canon, second best is the one made by Panasonic.

The difference in enlargement quality between 5mp and 6mp is completely invisible to the naked eye, even at poster size, so don't let that be a deciding factor.

Just make sure you use the largest file possible if you want to print poster size. (Superfine on a Canon P/S, or Large-Fine on Canon dSLR)

I have had the Canon 2S for a few months now, TC, and am very happy so far. If you go to my signature and click on the link that is a link to others, the last 2 on that page are from the Canon, all the other 20+ are from my older Nikon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter