• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me choose - resort edition

Jaimet

Earning My Ears
I currently have a package booked for late August for 10 days. This is a rescheduled 40th birthday trip (plus extra days added now) from last April. We are currently booked at Caribbean Beach, but when I was originally booking I was hoping to price out Wilderness Lodge or AKL, but couldn't because they weren't open at that time. We have wanted to try a Deluxe resort, but haven't bit the bullet, mostly due to cost. I just priced out Wilderness Lodge since the opening date was announced. It would be $1000 increase to go from Caribbean Beach to Wilderness Lodge, so 100 dollars per day. Is it worth it? It is so far out, so I can save up the amount needed, but I am wondering if the differences between these 2 resorts is worth it. We have previously stayed at Riverside and Pop. While I enjoyed some aspects of Pop, it felt way to crowded, and the rooms a little too small for our family. We are 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 11 and 9. We love hanging at the pool, so that is a consideration for us. We had 2 vacations cancelled last year (one was a beach vacation and one was Disney), so I feel like this is 2 years of vacation in one. I'm just not sure if the price difference is worth it. Any help/thoughts is appreciated.

What's important to you in a resort? Proximity to certain parks, room size, restaurants, transportation, etc? "Worth it" is hard to quantify for someone else. What's worth $100 to me might not be $100 to you. I value larger rooms and nicer amenities, indoor room access, a variety of restaurants, the theming , etc. So I'll almost always be willing to pay an extra $100+/night for a Deluxe resort. But not all people find value in those things.

I've never stayed at Caribbean Beach, but I've explored the grounds - which are VERY spread out. It's not my favorite aesthetic and the rooms look quite dated. It does have some decent dining options for a moderate resort (assuming Sebastian's opens up again), and it's nice that it's on the Skyliner. But even on a list of Moderate resorts -- this would not be on the top of my list. Wilderness Lodge is pretty incredible. You're going to have larger rooms, and many were recently renovated! Geyser point is our absolute favorite lounge on property. The lobby is stunning, the pools are unique, and there are lots of dining options. The resort is built more "up" than "out" so it's not nearly as wide-spread, and you also have more than one transportation option to parks. Not to mention, you may potentially have a castle view in some rooms! So for me, yes, the value is absolutely there. Either way, I hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks. I feel like you articulated some of the things I have been considering. I feel like more space is definitely at the top of my list since this is a longer stay. I know that on our previous trips both resorts felt really crowded. I’m not sure WL has the same feel. I like the idea of having different transportation options, although the skyliner access is pretty cool. I’m concerned that CB is too big. Plus I’m in a standard room at CB if I were to move up to a preferred then the price difference wouldn’t even be that big. I think I’m leaning towards WL. Thanks! Maybe some discounts will come out...

If you're comparing a standard room at CB with a standard room at WL or AKL, the room size at WL or AKL might be about 30 square feet larger, so not a major difference. The extra space in a deluxe hotel's standard room tends to be partly in its interior entry hallway, which a moderate does not have. You may not notice a lot of difference in the size of the bedroom at WL/AKL vs. CB. But IMHO, WL is a much nicer place to stay overall, even if the rooms are not especially large. Great atmosphere throughout the hotel grounds.

I wouldn't wait to book WL. It's a popular resort and being closed for so long, I think there will be pent up demand.

Wilderness is such a gorgeous resort. The lobby is worth a visit and we always hang out by the fireplace just taking it in. There is another, smaller fireplace in the DVC section and another pool. Having a balcony on which to savor morning coffee is worth $100 a day IMO! I think you'll feel it was totally worth it!

I am also looking for those 2 resorts for next September. As the price of WL goes up the second half of the month, I am thinking to do a split stay.
Sat-Fri at WL and then Fri-Mon CBR..

That's my plan for now, but will see depending on how next year goes and promotios available.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Wilderness Lodge is so much better than any moderate. Worth the $100 a day for sure. The scenery, the pool, the food, the balcony. Plus, they’re newly refurbished. I booked as soon as it became open to for November! 8 nights.

Another vote for WL. Hopefully by August the boats to CR and the Campgrounds will be back up and running. Then you can hop the boat to those places for additional dining options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter