• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me choose my dates!

smithfamilyof7

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a trip for our family in November/December 2018. I'm trying to find that sweet spot... where we can enjoy the parks with the least crowds (relatively, of course) and also fly down with the cheapest tickets. ;-) During the last trip, we spent 5 days in California, with the 3rd day being a Hollywood/beach day. It was nice to break up our days to DL, and also to experience other parts of the state. We'd like to do something similar this time.

I've narrowed it down to these two options but would love some feedback. We've never been during the holiday season so maybe there is no less crowded day or maybe there's events I don't know about...

Wed 12/5 - Wed 12/12 (Wed's are travel days)
DL on Thurs/Fri
Beach/explore Sat/Sun
DL on Mon/Tue

(Are Fri and Mon as crowded as Sat/Sun? We could do DL on Wed/Thurs and add another explore/beach day on Fri.)

OR

Sat 12/1 - Sat 12/8
Beach/explore Sun
DL Mon-Thurs
Beach/explore Fri

Any travel guru's have a better date selection/layout?

I'm planning a trip for our family in November/December 2018. I'm trying to find that sweet spot... where we can enjoy the parks with the least crowds (relatively, of course) and also fly down with the cheapest tickets. ;-) During the last trip, we spent 5 days in California, with the 3rd day being a Hollywood/beach day. It was nice to break up our days to DL, and also to experience other parts of the state. We'd like to do something similar this time.

I've narrowed it down to these two options but would love some feedback. We've never been during the holiday season so maybe there is no less crowded day or maybe there's events I don't know about...

Wed 12/5 - Wed 12/12 (Wed's are travel days)
DL on Thurs/Fri
Beach/explore Sat/Sun
DL on Mon/Tue

(Are Fri and Mon as crowded as Sat/Sun? We could do DL on Wed/Thurs and add another explore/beach day on Fri.)

OR

Sat 12/1 - Sat 12/8
Beach/explore Sun
DL Mon-Thurs
Beach/explore Fri

Any travel guru's have a better date selection/layout?
For what it's worth according to the "Is It Packed" site your second scenario looks better crowd-wise
http://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/

that sweet spot is Wed 5-12, your other choice, the mon the 3rd is the overflow from the Candle Processional....However...Wednesdays are the best days at Disneyland, so if you are not at Disneyland for the weekends, best to deal with monday crowd from 12/1 to 12/8 so you have that Wednesday.....as you can see by your rational for the 12/5...it is a travel day for you and 1,000 others leaving/arriving on those Wednesdays.

Monday the 3rd will be twice as crowded as Monday the 10th...which is a typical crowded day anyhow. But those Monday the 3rd folks are basically Disneyland veterans who were there for the CP anyhow, so not so much inclined to stand for hours anyhow for attractions. Though with Maxpass, there seems to be little standing in line anyhow.

Mondays are always so crowded. I would choose a Monday as my non-park day if possible. Is there anyway you could come the week after thanksgiving? Like maybe Sunday to Sunday? Or Monday to Monday?

Would you say that Mondays are "typically" more crowded than Fridays? We could do a Mon-Mon trip - Tues-Fri in the parks and Sat/Sun beach.

Good to know about the 3rd being overflow from the candle processional.

Thank you!

The week after Thanksgiving really would be the best week around that time of the year. The two weeks you posted will probably be about the same crowd wise so just pick the week that has the best hotel rates. Its always crowded so don't spend too much time trying to figure out the perfect time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter