Help me choose between Wish and Fantasy

ajb_tic_tac

Earning My Ears
We will be coming over to Florida next September and would like to take the opportunity to try a Disney Cruise.

We will be just a two adult party with no children.

I'm the type of person who usually chooses the bigger and newer version of something. However looking at the two ships Fantasy looks more to my preference.

The Fantasy seems to have classic opulent style whilst the Wish seems to have a more child's fairytale castle style.

Looking at the restaurants, the dining on the Fantasy looks more relaxed whilst still giving Disney magic. The Wish dining seems a more dinner show type experience.

As I have never been on a Disney cruise before I would like to hear from people who have been on these ships if my opinions from just watching videos is fair.

Any help, advice or comments will be gratefully received.

Andrew

Honestly, go with your gut. Everything you've said is pretty much spot on.

If your preference is the classic nautical sailing experience and relaxed dining, then I think the fantasy will be more to your style.

The Fantasy is more of a classic nautical theme, with Disney Touches.
The Wish is more of a floating cinderella castle, at sea.

Fantasy has 1 restaurant with a show, Animator's Palate, and it's a light show...the restaurant evolves over time, and at the very end they put everyone's drawings up on the screen and have a big hoopla around them. Royal Court and Enchanted Garden are themed, but there is no real show involved.

The wish has 2 restaurants with a show, Worlds of Marvel and Arendelle. Both have shows that are going on pretty much throughout the entire meal...very involved, much more so than on The Fantasy. Characters will come around, screens will have action, they are interactive. Only 1923 on The Wish is a more low-key experience.

Additionally, I think The Fantasy will likely be a bit cheaper as The Wish is the new hotness with Disney Cruise, so you can likely save a few bucks by going with The Fantasy

We sail as 2 adults and always choose the fantasy. We are hesitant to try the wish due to lack of adult areas.

Fantasy. Better adult areas, Midship Detective Agency, Aqua Duck, interactive Animation Magic dinner show at Animator's Palate (don't miss this, it's during your 2nd dinner at Animator's Palate), Remy, minigolf, wraparound promenade deck, more public area hot tubs, etc., etc.

Just avoid sailing far aft on the Fantasy, as that part of the ship is sometimes prone to vibration issues.

Last edited:
We're going on the Disney Wish in a little over a week, but we've been on the Disney Fantasy, Disney Dream (X4), Disney Wonder (X2), and Disney Magic.

I think the first response was perfect, but wanted to also throw in my two cents.

Based off photos alone, the feel of the Disney Wish will be significantly different from every other ship - just the layout of everything (lack of mid-ship elevators, Oceaneer's Club on Deck 2, Lounges/Bars scattered) will take some getting used to.

If this is your first cruise, I would definitely recommend the Fantasy over the Wish. Mainly because I've always thought the Dream & Fantasy are just the bigger and more opulent versions of the Magic and Wonder. The Disney Fantasy also offers longer cruises and you aren't stuck with just Nassau and Castaway Cay. If I could choose, I would do two days at Castaway Cay and another island. Longer cruises also allow for you to enjoy the ship more and you don't feel like you're running at breakneck speed to try and see everything.

Fantasy has 1 restaurant with a show, Animator's Palate, and it's a light show...the restaurant evolves over time, and at the very end they put everyone's drawings up on the screen and have a big hoopla around them
Did they change the show from having Crush on screen? I thought both the Fantasy & Dream had Crush talk to the guests, and Wonder/Magic had the drawing show (which I prefer).

Did they change the show from having Crush on screen? I thought both the Fantasy & Dream had Crush talk to the guests, and Wonder/Magic had the drawing show (which I prefer).
The Fantasy, Magic and Wonder all have Animation Magic (interactive drawing show) for the 2nd dinner at Animator's Palate. I don't know if the Dream is capable of showing it- have never sailed more than 3 nights on her. Both the Dream and Fantasy have Crush the first night at Animator's Palate. The Magic and Wonder have the b&w to color show with Mickey appearance the first night at Animator's Palate. But as I mentioned, the Fantasy, Magic & Wonder all have the drawing show the 2nd dinner at AP.

I would do the Fantasy. You already prefer the look of it. Longer cruises are more relaxing. We were on the Fantasy in June with our adult children (22/18) and had a great time! (Trip report in my signature.). It was our 3rd cruise, previous ones were Wonder/Magic. I agree with others to avoid aft staterooms on the Fantasy due to aft vibration issues specific to that ship. We chose a stateroom by the forward elevators and were happy there.

What everyone has said is totally true. I will say, however, that in your situation you cannot go wrong. If you go on the Wish first, you'll enjoy her and think it was a great cruise. The Fantasy will spoil you, and you won't enjoy the Wish as much if you do that second. The older four are just much better, but even if all was equal I'd pick the longer cruise.

Are you new to cruising? If so, I would suggest a 4-5 day cruise instead of a 7 day cruise. 3 days is definitely too short. 7 days may be too long if you hate cruising. 4 or 5 days lets you get to know the ship, but gives you a quicker out if you hate the cruising experience.

That being said, your answers suggest that the Fantasy or the Dream is better suited for you. I haven't tried the Wish, yet, but all reviews point it to being better for those with children. I'd also venture that you may also want to try the Magic or the Wonder if given the chance. Yes, they're older ships, but they still provide a lot of the Disney magic with a much lower crowd. It's also easier to navigate around the ship.

Totally agree with all the other reviews, it sounds like the Fantasy would be a great fit!

Animator’s Palate has a dinner show both nights. One I feel is very not intrusive until the drawings appear on screen (and it’s amazing when they do!) and ones I truly hate, which is Turtle Talk with Crush at sea. I normally do Palo or Remy that night.

Our very first Disney Cruise back in 2001 my wife mentioned we do a 3 or 4 day cruise to see if I would like it. I said if we were going to do it we were going to do a 7 day cruise, that was on the Magic.

Since then we have only done 7 day cruises and we just got of the Fantasy back on December 3rd. That was number 13 with number 14 booked for next year.
For us 7 days is perfect, just long enough to be able to unpack and relax. To me with the 3 or 4 day cruises by the time you unpack and relax it is time to pack and get off the ship.

It is all personal preference and how much vacation time you have. Some people will go to Disney World for a few days then do the cruise in this order and only might have 7 to 10 days for a vacation.

A lot of people who have posted have mentioned the many reasons we not only cruise mostly on Disney but why we like the 7 day cruises.

With all that said it is just my wife and I we never had children. The Fantasy has a lot for the adults to do.

We have not been on the Wish yet and will go if or when the ship starts doing 7 day cruises out of Port Canaveral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter