Help me choose a splurge for my birthday

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
I have an annual pass and used to go very frequently with my son but I’m back to working full time so we’ve only been once in the past few months. I’m dying to get back to my happy place so I’m planning on going on Sunday, August 5 for my birthday! It will be myself, my best friend and my 3.5-year-old son.

I’m trying to decide on something special to do to celebrate my birthday in either park. We rarely do table service or any big splurges so I’m excited to do something special. One catch is that we have to leave by 3:30pm to head over to my 5-year-old niece’s birthday party (our birthdays are one day apart), so no nighttime entertainment unfortunately. I plan to get there for rope drop or close to it.

I’d love to hear some suggestions for something special we could do to celebrate my birthday!

How about lunch reservations at Blue Bayou? Ask for a table by the water. You may have to wait a while longer but it's well worth the wait. They give you a pager to let you know when your table is ready. I love the theming of this place, plus watching the Pirate boats drifting on by. I see online that there's still lunch reservation available.

Another lunch option is Carnation Cafe. If it's not too hot ask for an outdoor table. I love the view of Main Street from here. Good food choices, too. There's still reservation for lunch available on your date.

Also, go to City Hall on Main Street to get a Birthday Button to wear for your special day.

Have a magical birthday!

My birthday is August 6!

We’ve done Carthay Circle for a few special occasions and they’re surprisingly kid-friendly IMO - mine just gets some plain noodles and veggies because she’s picky, but we bring coloring stuff for her and a few toys and she’s good to go. The waitress once brought a separate little dish of noodles so she could share with her stuffed animal (she’d tucked him in with a napkin).

Blue Bayou has gotten stingy (making apps and dessert separate charges), and I’ll be honest and say that a fancy meal without an adult beverage just doesn’t hold the same appeal for me! So that’s why we usually do CC now.

I love having breakfast at Carnation Cafe. The food is good and they put a foam Mickey head on your latte! It's a nice way to start the day and a big breakfast will hold you for a long time while you hit the rides. DH and I both chose this for our birthday meals and our whole family loved it!

How about lunch reservations at Blue Bayou? Ask for a table by the water. You may have to wait a while longer but it's well worth the wait. They give you a pager to let you know when your table is ready. I love the theming of this place, plus watching the Pirate boats drifting on by. I see online that there's still lunch reservation available.

Another lunch option is Carnation Cafe. If it's not too hot ask for an outdoor table. I love the view of Main Street from here. Good food choices, too. There's still reservation for lunch available on your date.

Also, go to City Hall on Main Street to get a Birthday Button to wear for your special day.

Have a magical birthday!

This is a really good idea. I snagged a reservation.

My birthday is August 6!

We’ve done Carthay Circle for a few special occasions and they’re surprisingly kid-friendly IMO - mine just gets some plain noodles and veggies because she’s picky, but we bring coloring stuff for her and a few toys and she’s good to go. The waitress once brought a separate little dish of noodles so she could share with her stuffed animal (she’d tucked him in with a napkin).

Blue Bayou has gotten stingy (making apps and dessert separate charges), and I’ll be honest and say that a fancy meal without an adult beverage just doesn’t hold the same appeal for me! So that’s why we usually do CC now.

What are the chances? A fellow Leo and our birthdays are only one day apart!

Thank you for the advice. I forgot that BB recently changed things up. That is a little annoying. I haven’t eaten there since I was in high school and my son has never eaten there and I always say I want to do it so maybe we’ll go with low expectations. He actually is the least picky toddler I know. He eats sushi and poke bowls and steak and lobster so luckily I don’t have to worry about the menus. However I will probably encourage him to orde mac and cheese to keep the bill down, lol! He can always share some of mine too.

Usually I would be all about the adult beverages but I’ll be 17 weeks pregnant on my birthday so I’ll have another 23 weeks to go before I put those back into the rotation!

I love having breakfast at Carnation Cafe. The food is good and they put a foam Mickey head on your latte! It's a nice way to start the day and a big breakfast will hold you for a long time while you hit the rides. DH and I both chose this for our birthday meals and our whole family loved it!
How cute!

I also agree with Carthay! That's a "special occasion" place for us and it's worth it!
I have eaten here once before and it was lovely! I was also kind of toying with the idea of doing a Frozen lunch package here but I’m not entirely sure my son would sit through the entire show (he does like Frozen though).

Thank you for the advice. I forgot that BB recently changed things up. That is a little annoying. I haven’t eaten there since I was in high school and my son has never eaten there and I always say I want to do it so maybe we’ll go with low expectations. He actually is the least picky toddler I know. He eats sushi and poke bowls and steak and lobster so luckily I don’t have to worry about the menus. However I will probably encourage him to orde mac and cheese to keep the bill down, lol! He can always share some of mine too.

Usually I would be all about the adult beverages but I’ll be 17 weeks pregnant on my birthday so I’ll have another 23 weeks to go before I put those back into the rotation!
The kids meals are all $10. A very good value. Our kids had the salmon. It was good.

As of mom of triplets, as a splurge to myself on my birthday, I would go with my friend, and leave the kid/kids with grandma. I would stay a night at the Grand Californian and have a blast only worrying about myself.

DD's birthday is August 6 :)

For my birthday this past May we went to Carthay Circle for lunch - I love that place (and the biscuits!).
The year before we went to Storytellers for dinner. I like CC better but at ST they gave me a small Mickey dessert.

Congrats on your pregnancy, and enjoy your birthday!

I never buy myself anything in the parks but splurged on the rose gold minnie back pack a couple of days ago and LOVE it! Now that I'm home it reminds me of being in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter